Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cpat88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
Hi there,

I turned on my laptop this morning and noticed that upon start-up, a blue screen appears but nothing else. The cursor sometimes appears then disappears and it seems like it is continually going around in circles to start up.

I tried a safeboot startup and the default 'aurora' background appears with a password prompt. Upon entering my password the blue screen appears for a few seconds then I am asked again to re-enter my password.

Another thing is, I do not have the installation disks.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Craig

cpat88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
Thanks for your quick reply. Unfortunately, after following all of the steps possible, nothing worked. Think I'll have to take it to a repair shop to see if they can see what's what.

Any other suggestions welcome.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Thanks for your quick reply. Unfortunately, after following all of the steps possible, nothing worked. Think I'll have to take it to a repair shop to see if they can see what's what.

Any other suggestions welcome.

If you don't have the install discs, you can't do all the steps (it's possible that a reinstall of OS X would have fixed it). Anyway, if you're inside warranty, let Apple handle it.

cpat88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
Unfortunately not the laptop is around 5 years old. I did try to reset admin password to create a new account to see if that would fix it. I get the original setup screen with the apple movie and language installation etc but it's going very slow. After selecting the internet connection option it resets back to the original select language screen and the process repeats. The movie also freezes until the music has finished also.

I'm thinking an internal hard drive problem? So a reinstall couldn't fix this problem could it?

Thanks

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Unfortunately not the laptop is around 5 years old. I did try to reset admin password to create a new account to see if that would fix it. I get the original setup screen with the apple movie and language installation etc but it's going very slow. After selecting the internet connection option it resets back to the original select language screen and the process repeats. The movie also freezes until the music has finished also.

I'm thinking an internal hard drive problem? So a reinstall couldn't fix this problem could it?

Thanks

Well, it's hard to say is it OS or HD. You will anyway need the install discs so maybe you should call Apple and ask for replacement discs, they only cost like 20 bucks. Or go an buy Snow Leopard for 29$. If reinstall doesn't fix it, then it seems to be the HD. However, you can get a new one for less than 50 bucks

cpat88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
Well, it's hard to say is it OS or HD. You will anyway need the install discs so maybe you should call Apple and ask for replacement discs, they only cost like 20 bucks. Or go an buy Snow Leopard for 29$. If reinstall doesn't fix it, then it seems to be the HD. However, you can get a new one for less than 50 bucks
Great I'll give it a shot.

Many thanks, Hellhammer. You have been very helpful!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.