Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i-am-waiting

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
Hey,

I need to extend my WiFi range with my MacBook to use my iPod Touch's WiFi in my room because to WiFi range is too poor to use in that room, i do not know if this is possible to do with a 3rd party application or with the 'internet sharing' option.

Thanks, Peebrian202869

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Mhmmm, and in english please?

Connect your MacBook directly to your internet source via an ethernet cable, and then turn on internet sharing via AirPort (found in System Preferences -> Sharing).

While Macs are capable of both receiving and transmitting Wi Fi signal, they cannot do both at the same time, which is why you'd need to hard-wire it with an ethernet cable to be able to use it as a Wi Fi transmitter.

i-am-waiting

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
Connect your MacBook directly to your internet source via an ethernet cable, and then turn on internet sharing via AirPort (found in System Preferences -> Sharing).

While Macs are capable of both receiving and transmitting Wi Fi signal, they cannot do both at the same time, which is why you'd need to hard-wire it with an ethernet cable to be able to use it as a Wi Fi transmitter.

Yar i cant do that...

Could i buy something to extend the WiFi instead then... ?

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
an airport express can extend a wireless networks range, and I believe other routers can as well.

Some can. It's dicey. The Airport Express does it well. Based on sore experience I would not recommend any other solution other than the Airport Express. Avoid, avoid the "range extenders" you see at Fry's... the Linksys is an especially bad p.o.s.

You'll need to put the Express where it gets a decent signal from your existing WiFi router. It will then re-broadcast the signal, after a little setup.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
Or could i use the internet through the USB to my iPod?

I'm confused. Even if it were possible (it's not), the USB cable is not very long. So your Mac would need to be picking up WiFi. If it can, so should your iPod be able to, unless you're at the very fringe of reception and your Mac is more sensitive than the iPod. Is that the case?

i-am-waiting

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
I'm confused. Even if it were possible (it's not), the USB cable is not very long. So your Mac would need to be picking up WiFi. If it can, so should your iPod be able to, unless you're at the very fringe of reception and your Mac is more sensitive than the iPod. Is that the case?

My Mac's WiFi range is far greater than my iPod Touch's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.