PDA

View Full Version : OS X to be distributed on SD cards?

ipedro
Oct 16, 2010, 10:45 AM
With the arrival of the new MacBook Air, all Macs will have SD card readers. The Air doesn't have an optical drive. What do you all think of the likelihood of Apple distributing OS X on SD cards going forward?

Schtumple
Oct 16, 2010, 10:46 AM
With the arrival of the new MacBook Air, all Macs will have SD card readers. The Air doesn't have an optical drive. What do you all think of the likelihood of Apple distributing OS X on SD cards going forward?

Why SD cards when USB flash drives are cheaper?

Sun Baked
Oct 16, 2010, 10:46 AM
Pressed plastic is cheap. SDs are not.

robbieduncan
Oct 16, 2010, 10:47 AM
The Mac Pro does not have a SD card slot so the basic premise is not true.

mrkramer
Oct 16, 2010, 10:51 AM
I don't think they will, maybe in the future when they have an OS that doesn't support any macs that don't have them, but not anytime soon.

Disc Golfer
Oct 16, 2010, 10:55 AM
SD cards are too easy to lose, cd/dvd media is still dominant in the marketplace and inexpensive. They'll switch to downloads only before they do that.

flopticalcube
Oct 16, 2010, 10:58 AM
MacBooks don't have SD slots. Judging by some of the threads here on MR asking for help, it appears to be just as easy to lose a DVD as an SD card.

Hellhammer
Oct 16, 2010, 10:59 AM
Flash based media is still much more expensive than e.g. DVDs and Blu-Rays are (i.e. optical media). Also, SD cards can't be pressed while optical media can so that would increase the manufacturing expenses.

MBA has never had an optical drive but Snow Leopard came on DVD. You can use other Mac's DVD drive or an external DVD drive via USB

AdeFowler
Oct 16, 2010, 11:15 AM
The Mac Pro does not have a SD card slot so the basic premise is not true.

nor my 17" MBP.

disconap
Oct 16, 2010, 02:18 PM
There may be some online distribution of OSX in future. I wouldn't be surprised by that, considering the Air...

ipedro
Oct 20, 2010, 02:01 PM
Close enough :D

http://photos.appleinsider.com/MBA.late2010.001.jpg

maflynn
Oct 20, 2010, 02:05 PM
Why?
The brand new 11" MBA doesn't have an SD card reader, and do the current MacPros, and iMacs have them?

What about all the legacy hardware that is still out there

snberk103
Oct 20, 2010, 02:18 PM
Can an SD card (or flash drive in general) be made Read Only? The old floppies had a mechanical "switch" that could be flipped to make it impossible to write to a floppy. CDs are of course by nature Read Only. It only makes sense to distribute installation software on Read Only media.

If SD cards can be made Read Only, I kinda think that Apple may be going that way. It's not just the cost of the card, but also the cost of packaging and shipping. Plus, Apple may be thinking environmental issues too. I don't know what the green credentials are SD vs CD, but there might be some motivation there.

If we continue to see SD slots added to Macs, then I expect there is a good reason.

ipedro
Oct 20, 2010, 03:47 PM
The software reinstall drive is a USB key. Same direction, different format.

I just knew that with Apple heading in the direction of dropping optical media that they had to start shipping their Macs with a physical version of the OS on Flash memory. Here it is: the Reinstall Drive.

elppa
Oct 20, 2010, 05:33 PM
MacBook Pro didn't get a SD card until mid 2009. The iMac got it after that.

I could completely see a USB drive solution ala the new Air. It would get the packaging size down as well.

mrkramer
Oct 21, 2010, 01:12 AM
MacBook Pro didn't get a SD card until mid 2009. The iMac got it after that.

I could completely see a USB drive solution ala the new Air. It would get the packaging size down as well.

I can see them doing that with 10.7 as all macs have USB, SD cards won't happen since not all macs have them, but USB would work well.

snberk103
Oct 21, 2010, 10:39 AM
The software reinstall drive is a USB key. Same direction, different format.

I just knew that with Apple heading in the direction of dropping optical media that they had to start shipping their Macs with a physical version of the OS on Flash memory. Here it is: the Reinstall Drive.

Is the USB Key Read Only? I suppose with it's Unix underpinnings it wouldn't be hard to set it Read Only? I don't know, I'm a photographer, dammit, not a developer. (sorry - no pun intended)

robbieduncan
Oct 21, 2010, 10:53 AM
Anything set at the filesystem could be unset so I see nothing about OSX being Unix or not that would effect the read-only state of the card. It could be read-only at a hardware level though.

lewis82
Oct 21, 2010, 01:42 PM
[...]It could be read-only at a hardware level though.

The same way SD cards are. I hope they are read-only, otherwise some people could think "hey a nice flash drive! I'm going to format it". :p

Troy2000
Oct 22, 2010, 03:56 AM
I'd guess it will appear as a read-only optical drive under OS X.

DivtyaBudhlya
Oct 22, 2010, 06:30 AM
Honestly, I don't really care what they distribute it on going forward. What I hope, is that they introduce a digital download.

I'm in India, and it takes up to 3 months for the software disks to reach here officially. I have a fairly decent unlimited connection, why can't I pay using my card and download the damn disk image?

I'm hoping their new datacenter in X Carolina will be something.

cambookpro
Oct 22, 2010, 12:27 PM
Mockup of Lion USB box-art :p

http://i53.tinypic.com/2h86b11.jpg

Anyone can have the psd to mess around with it if they want.

mulo
Oct 24, 2010, 03:41 PM
haha thats a cute box, if it comes on a USB pin i'm going to reformat it! thats like the most awesome USB pin ever! :D I'll just rip it to another USB pin

SDAVE
Oct 24, 2010, 04:15 PM
Does it really matter how it's distributed?

You install it once and hide your install disc in the closet.

Or if you buy a new system, it's already pre-installed and you will never use the installer again.

lewis82
Oct 24, 2010, 04:25 PM
Does it really matter how it's distributed?

You install it once and hide your install disc in the closet.

Or if you buy a new system, it's already pre-installed and you will never use the installer again.

USB flash drives are much faster than DVDs. SD cards too. If you have to reinstall, it is much more convenient.

And besides, I would definitely buy a MBP without DVD drive...

SDAVE
Oct 24, 2010, 04:26 PM
You know you can put your DVD files on your own USB drive that cost maybe $5?

I don't use my DVD drive anymore, so I don't mind missing a drive on the MBP, if it makes my laptop lighter and faster.

lewis82
Oct 24, 2010, 05:05 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; fr-fr) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I know I can do it myself. But why keep using an outdated format?

VPrime
Oct 24, 2010, 05:08 PM
You know you can put your DVD files on your own USB drive that cost maybe $5?

I don't use my DVD drive anymore, so I don't mind missing a drive on the MBP, if it makes my laptop lighter and faster.

Hm.. How does no DVD drive make your laptop faster? :confused:

SDAVE
Oct 24, 2010, 05:18 PM
Hm.. How does no DVD drive make your laptop faster? :confused:

More space to put a better GPU, better CPU.

Less heat. Etc.

flopticalcube
Oct 24, 2010, 05:19 PM
USB flash drives are much faster than DVDs. SD cards too. If you have to reinstall, it is much more convenient.

And besides, I would definitely buy a MBP without DVD drive...

And they don't get scratched.

VPrime
Oct 24, 2010, 08:43 PM
More space to put a better GPU, better CPU.

Less heat. Etc.

Ah, yes I see.:)
I wouldn't mind trading my DVD rom for a better spec machine.. I used it once.. To install snow leopard :)

mrsir2009
Oct 26, 2010, 12:48 PM
Not SD cards. Not all macs have them, only the MacBook Pros do. It would be much better on a USB flash stick :cool: