Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AJ.G

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
Beijing.
so... im getting an ipod touch 4.
and i wanna jailbreak,
ive had gen 1, gen 2, gen 3,
so i know my way around the itouch.

i just have absolutely no idea how to jailbreak.
nor where to start.

whats the easiest way to do this?

i have a windows 7 laptop,
or i can use the imac (heard its easier on OSX)

and once ive jailbroken,
what are some cool things that cydia opens up to a jailbroken ipod touch?

and i know its illegal and stuff... but how do u get installeous?
free aps would be nice.
id like to try them out before spending money on something i may not like.

thanks... and sorry for the long post:D

AJ--

supermassive

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2010
It's not easier to JB on OS X. I did it under WinXP with greenpois0n and I think Win7 will do the same way. You might need to start the Application as administrator unless you disabled UAC.

It took me several tries to succeed. I think, the only part that is tricky is the timing. You need to follow the instructions scrupulously precisely! Otherwise it will fail. Just keep on trying. Once you get the right timing it should work.

After the JB is installed, you'll notice it when the screen flashes white and then loads of text is displayed on the black screen and of course if greenpos0n/limera1n says it was successful.

After JBing your device will restart and you should have a new App instaled (blank white icon) called installer. You just start it, this one installs cydia and cydia asks if it should remove installer, say yes. Then after one more reboot it's done.

About installous, I suppose it's not allowed to discuss here.

AJ.G

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
Beijing.
just read about jailbreakme.com
i see ipod touch 4 will come with 4.1,
anyway to downgrade to 4.0.1 to get jailbreakme.com to work,
seems like the easiest way?

Link2999

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
http://www.limera1n.com/ , download and follow instructions. VERY EASY.
About installous, don't bother with it. Not only is it illegal, but it can drastically slow down your device and can cause more problems than it's worth. If you want to try games before you buy, most games have free (or lite) versions that you can download, which are usually the same game as the full version, but either with Ads or limited levels/features.

Abscissa

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2010
VA
just read about jailbreakme.com
i see ipod touch 4 will come with 4.1,
anyway to downgrade to 4.0.1 to get jailbreakme.com to work,
seems like the easiest way?

You can't.

http://www.limera1n.com/ , download and follow instructions. VERY EASY.
About installous, don't bother with it. Not only is it illegal, but it can drastically slow down your device and can cause more problems than it's worth. If you want to try games before you buy, most games have free (or lite) versions that you can download, which are usually the same game as the full version, but either with Ads or limited levels/features.

This is right, but for installous you add "cydia.hackulo.us" and go to their folder and download it. Some people think it's horrible to try before you buy or whatever. I have it on mine and that's what I use it for. And apps that are no longer available like Camera+

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.