PDA

View Full Version : Quake 3 Arena is Crashing Constantly!

Capt Underpants
Jan 3, 2005, 06:28 PM
I bought Quake and installed it, but every time I try to run quake, it crashes before even starting. Any ideas?

crazzyeddie
Jan 3, 2005, 07:46 PM
Install the latest patch (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/8961&mode=feedback).

Capt Underpants
Jan 3, 2005, 07:53 PM
Install the latest patch (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/8961&mode=feedback).

That's what I installed, and it still crashes.

Mr_Ed
Jan 3, 2005, 08:05 PM
I run Q3 v 1.32 all the time without problems.

Have you installed any "non-standard" pk3 files in the installation directory, or in your home Library/Application Support/Quake3 directories?

Don't know if I can be much help as it is. Maybe you can post your system specs (HW, OS) for us . . .

Capt Underpants
Jan 3, 2005, 08:08 PM
I run Q3 v 1.32 all the time without problems.

Have you installed any "non-standard" pk3 files in the installation directory, or in your home Library/Application Support/Quake3 directories?

Don't know if I can be much help as it is. Maybe you can post your system specs (HW, OS) for us . . .

I have not installed any non-standard pk3 files. My hardware is in the sig, though. 12" PB, 1.33 GHz, 80 GB HD, 768 MB RAM, OSX.3.7.

Mr_Ed
Jan 3, 2005, 08:15 PM
Is there more than one Quake 3 executable after the patch installation? I seem to recall somehow ending up with more than one executable after that last installation and one would run well while the other would not. Is it possible you are still running the "old" executable after your patch upgrade?

Capt Underpants
Jan 3, 2005, 08:18 PM
Is there more than one Quake 3 executable after the patch installation? I seem to recall somehow ending up with more than one executable after that last installation and one would run well while the other would not. Is it possible you are still running the "old" executable after your patch upgrade?

It's not really an "upgrade", as it is my first install of Quake 3. THat rules out any older files.

Mr_Ed
Jan 3, 2005, 08:30 PM
It's not really an "upgrade", as it is my first install of Quake 3. THat rules out any older files.

Not necessarily. Didn't you do a 'base' Q3 install from CD, then install the patch on top of it? Granted, the patch should replace the executable but it still may not be the right one.

Bear with me here since I'm really trying to remember events from quite some time ago . . . I think there were several "updates" to the v1.32 executable. I think they were intended to be optimized for various versions of OS X (10.1, 10.2, 10.3). I only remember this because I was a bit anal about the updates, so I always renamed my old executable so it would not get blown away by the updated version. As of right now, I have 3 different Q3 executables (different sizes) and they all show "1.32" in the "Get Info" dialog version.

If I'm not mistaken, some of those were downloaded from the Apple web site and were not necessarily part of the "official" patch.

Anyone else here remember a similar experience?

Capt Underpants
Jan 3, 2005, 08:34 PM
Not necessarily. Didn't you do a 'base' Q3 install from CD, then install the patch on top of it? Granted, the patch should replace the executable but it still may not be the right one.

Bear with me here since I'm really trying to remember events from quite some time ago . . . I think there were several "updates" to the v1.32 executable. I think they were intended to be optimized for various versions of OS X (10.1, 10.2, 10.3). I only remember this because I was a bit anal about the updates, so I always renamed my old executable so it would not get blown away by the updated version. As of right now, I have 3 different Q3 executables (different sizes) and they all show "1.32" in the "Get Info" dialog version.

If I'm not mistaken, some of those were downloaded from the Apple web site and were not necessarily part of the "official" patch.

Anyone else here remember a similar experience?

Here's what I did. I went to Best Buy and bought the game. I downloaded Quake 3 Arena 1.3.2, and installed it. When I choose a directory that the retail version is supposed to be installed in, Quake unexpectadle quits. If I put the CD in, it works, but since the punkbuster files aren't on the CD, I can't access any servers with punkbuster enabled. I need to find out how to run Quake 3 out of the Quake 3 directory instead of the CD.

Mr_Ed
Jan 3, 2005, 08:47 PM
I see. It's been so long I don't remember if Q3 install had an option for "full" vs. "partial" (requires CD) install on HD . . . Assuming you have a "full" install, does the application launch "Classic" or is it running OS X native? They may have updated the installation CDs but back when I bought it, it installed and ran as a "Classic" application. I guess that was the reason I ended up getting some executable updates from the Apple web site: to get an updated OS X native executable.

Check out this page (http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/games/demos_updates/quakeiiiarenax.html) and see if what I'm talking about makes any sense.

crazzyeddie
Jan 3, 2005, 08:59 PM
Heres the problem: you need to copy the "pak0.pk3" file from the CD into the BaseQ3 directory in your Quake 3 folder.

Capt Underpants
Jan 4, 2005, 09:05 AM
Heres the problem: you need to copy the "pak0.pk3" file from the CD into the BaseQ3 directory in your Quake 3 folder.

Crazzyeddie,

Thank you! It worked!

TDM21
Jan 4, 2005, 11:20 AM
just to set something straight: Did you buy the PC version or the Mac version of the game?

Capt Underpants
Jan 4, 2005, 11:26 AM
just to set something straight: Did you buy the PC version or the Mac version of the game?

I bought the PC version to get the CD key. Then I went and downloaded version 1.3.2 from macgamefiles, and installed it from there.