PDA

View Full Version : Trying to revive an iMac G3 Blueberry

CaoCao
Oct 17, 2010, 03:04 PM
I got an iMac G3 Blueberry today that was stripped, I still have the logic board though,

I know for a fact it is missing the RAM and HDD,

Does it use DDR SDRAM?
The HDD is EIDE, can I use a PATA HDD?
It got stripped because it had power issues, does this mean I need a new logic board?

PS I'm trying to repair before Mother's Day

Thanks for the help!

applefan1997
Oct 17, 2010, 04:43 PM
I'm assuming it's to be a gift to your mother, which I find a sweet thing to do :)

To answer your questions,

1.) It doesn't use DDR RAM, it uses 168 pin SDRAM (PC100 and usually PC133)
2.) Yes, PATA as well as IDE drives work in it, just not Serial ATA. The drive needs to be less than 128GB, as the computer will not recognize any space beyond that.
3.) Power issues usually stem from the power supply and boards inside the monitor casing, and not the logic board. Unfortunately, these parts are not too easy to find, and in most cases I'd assume it's best to find another machine, as usually their value has come to low prices.

If the machine is a 350MHz, I'd definitely go for a faster model, as these machines are the most stripped-down slot loaders (no FW, or AirPort support).

CaoCao
Oct 17, 2010, 07:46 PM
I'm assuming it's to be a gift to your mother, which I find a sweet thing to do :)

To answer your questions,

1.) It doesn't use DDR RAM, it uses 168 pin SDRAM (PC100 and usually PC133)
2.) Yes, PATA as well as IDE drives work in it, just not Serial ATA. The drive needs to be less than 128GB, as the computer will not recognize any space beyond that.
3.) Power issues usually stem from the power supply and boards inside the monitor casing, and not the logic board. Unfortunately, these parts are not too easy to find, and in most cases I'd assume it's best to find another machine, as usually their value has come to low prices.

If the machine is a 350MHz, I'd definitely go for a faster model, as these machines are the most stripped-down slot loaders (no FW, or AirPort support).
1) I understand
2) That simplifies the process of a HDD (I got some PATAs lying around cuz all my Wintels are PATA-based)
3) That sucks

It does have firewire

smc333
Oct 17, 2010, 08:30 PM
IIRC, the Tangerine 333MHz G3 I have is Laptop SDRAM 168, though I could be wrong.

Also, I'm not so sure this model has Firewire, what is the clock speed?

flopticalcube
Oct 17, 2010, 08:43 PM
If it has FW then it could be a G3/400 DV Fruit color. Still PC100 RAM, IIRC.

CaoCao
Oct 17, 2010, 09:52 PM

Yes, it is a Blueberry, has two FW400s

rprebel
Oct 17, 2010, 09:57 PM
Any time you do something like this you should replace the CMOS battery. That's the little watch battery that will be somewhere on the main board. It might not be necessary right now, but it'll be easier to do now while you have the machine in pieces and if it doesn't need it now, it will fairly soon.

Intell
Oct 17, 2010, 10:03 PM
The battery in G3/G4 iMacs isn't a little coin battery. Its shapped like a short fat AAA, and costs about $15 in a store.

rprebel
Oct 17, 2010, 10:10 PM
Oh, right. I can't believe I forgot about that, it's the same in my blue/white G3. Still, as old as that imac is, it probably needs a new battery. I had to replace mine years ago, and with mine it's easy. With that iMac, if it needs replacement in 6 months then he'll have to take the computer apart again.

Up to you, OP.

applefan1997
Oct 18, 2010, 12:26 AM
1) I understand
2) That simplifies the process of a HDD (I got some PATAs lying around cuz all my Wintels are PATA-based)
3) That sucks

It does have firewire
Good on the RAM. The drives from the PC should work perfect in them then. I would try diagnosing the power issue before anything else, though.
IIRC, the Tangerine 333MHz G3 I have is Laptop SDRAM 168, though I could be wrong.

Also, I'm not so sure this model has Firewire, what is the clock speed?

All SLs had FW, except for two models - the base 350 blueberry, and the base Indigo 350 which replaced the blueberry.

The 333MHz was the tray loaders, and that, the 266, and 233 used laptop RAM. It was changed to desktop for the SL.

Yes, it just makes it a DV. I have the tangerine one. Later on the colors were changed, and the 350 base model was changed to Indigo.

Any time you do something like this you should replace the CMOS battery. That's the little watch battery that will be somewhere on the main board. It might not be necessary right now, but it'll be easier to do now while you have the machine in pieces and if it doesn't need it now, it will fairly soon.

Although IIRC, in these machines all it does is remember the clock and a couple settings. I dont think it's like some machines like the PB G3, who won't start with them

CaoCao
Oct 18, 2010, 01:18 AM
I'm leaving it sealed until I know what needs to be repaired
The battery in G3/G4 iMacs isn't a little coin battery. Its shapped like a short fat AAA, and costs about $15 in a store.
Thanks
Good on the RAM. The drives from the PC should work perfect in them then. I would try diagnosing the power issue before anything else, though.

All SLs had FW, except for two models - the base 350 blueberry, and the base Indigo 350 which replaced the blueberry.

The 333MHz was the tray loaders, and that, the 266, and 233 used laptop RAM. It was changed to desktop for the SL.

Yes, it just makes it a DV. I have the tangerine one. Later on the colors were changed, and the 350 base model was changed to Indigo.

Although IIRC, in these machines all it does is remember the clock and a couple settings. I dont think it's like some machines like the PB G3, who won't start with them
I plugged it in and every time I push power I hear a click, but not like a normal button click

MacHamster68
Oct 18, 2010, 03:47 AM
does the click noise seem to come from the back?

Arkious
May 27, 2012, 12:31 PM
I had lots of power issues relating the the flyback transformer, if you read through parts of my thread you might find it useful. mine is a tray loader but although the layout is different they contain almost the same components. my advice is when you plug in the power listen for a light buzz/ squeel towards the top back of the CRT. when you press the power button and hold it see if the noise changes. mine used to go fuzzy and crackle at times when the flyback was on its way out.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1304637