PDA

View Full Version : If optical drives are being pulled from shelves, will lion be a diskless install?

crackintosh
Oct 17, 2010, 07:06 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I predict that a disk will not be required to install Os x lion. Why would superdrives get pulled from the shelves for a simple hardware update? I doubt the optical drives would be incompatible. Streaming keynote, hd video distribution, apple is equipped to do this. Not to mention their intentions of being 'green'. Someone prove me wrong.

celticpride678
Oct 17, 2010, 07:24 PM
MacBook Air External Super Drive's are being pulled. Apple already allows over-the-air installs of Mac OS X with an app that comes with every Mac called "Remote Install Mac OS X."

The MacBook and MacBook Pro still have an optical drive built-in and won't be loosing it anytime soon.

FrancoisC
Oct 17, 2010, 07:26 PM
It would be fun to have OS X 10.7 come on a read only USB flash drive... I always install OS X/windows from a USB source nowadays, much faster than with optical media.

flopticalcube
Oct 17, 2010, 07:30 PM
Maybe a new version of the external SuperDrive is coming out.

M87
Oct 17, 2010, 09:07 PM
I've installed OS X from external storage devices many more times than I have from disks. I wouldn't mind at all if they started releasing OSs on flash drives and even as downloads.