PDA

View Full Version : Portenzo vs Dodocase

downingp
Oct 17, 2010, 08:47 PM
I have watched a number of videos on YouTube reviewing the Portenzo case which seems to be superior to the Dodocase. I currently have the Dodocase and am very interested in reading any Macrumor member reviews if there are any out there. I know there are a few members who are waiting for theirs to be delivered.
I guess I am just wondering if I should give up on the dodocase and get a portenzo. I was also considering the bookbook case by twelve south, but that doesn't seem to be getting as good as reviews.

Thanks for your input.

downingp
Oct 19, 2010, 01:50 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I went ahead and ordered the portenzo case. It will be interesting to see how it compares to the dodocase. From the reviews I have read so far, I am expecting a superior product which is always good.

AngelusV
Oct 19, 2010, 02:56 PM
Please let me know how that goes. I just received my Dodocase yesterday, and opening the box was full of anticipation. I made the decision purely on my own desires, since I have seen GREAT reviews, and HORRIBLE reviews as well.

Opening the case for the first time was magic, and the smell was just amazing. Then I inspected it, and things just went from cloud9 to sewer tunnels. I noticed I had to press the Bamboo back down against the binding. I had side stickers that were turned sideways. The wood honestly felt so thin, It was as if I went to lowes, bought some wood to separate plants in my garden, and decided to make a case with it. In all honesty, the only reason I actually decided to give it a try, was because I loved the dodocase sticker on the front. I'm from the bay area, so seeing "made in San Fransisco" holds a bit of pride. So far it's been a lot of trial and error though. Trying to fit the iPad into it so every side is flush is impossible. There's always going to be a side that's a little higher then the other. I had to take a light sandpaper, and smoothen out my super sharp edges a bit as well. I mean they were so sharp, I was afraid I'd cut myself. There were no cracks in the wood, so I didn't bother looking to return it. I've heard it can take awhile, and the case does its job I suppose.

So please let me know how you enjoy that case, because I'll "upgrade" if I have to. I just absolutely love the moleskin design, but I want a little more peace of mind.

Seamaster
Oct 19, 2010, 04:03 PM
Much as I loved the concept, I was never convinced by the Dodocase. But I've ordered a Portenzo. The former remains a prototype; the latter appears to be the finished article.

Two thumbs up for Darin at Portenzo, too. The customer service is exemplary; very responsive when I mailed a couple of queries to them

I'm really looking forward to receiving the case.

downingp
Oct 19, 2010, 04:13 PM
I have also received excellent customer service through Portenzo. Darin was very helpful and quickly responded to my emails. Now the anticipation starts with waiting for delivery.

JonMPLS
Oct 19, 2010, 05:14 PM
I would be interested to know if it's thicker or about the same as the Dodocase. Kind of hard to tell just from photos. Thanks!

downingp
Oct 20, 2010, 01:33 PM
Just wanted to help those members out who are contemplating getting a portenzo.
I received a coupon code that takes $6 off the price of the iPad case. Use the coupon code: facebook09 and apply it at checkout.

Hope that helps.

UnseenLlama
Oct 21, 2010, 06:46 AM
Put an order in for the Portenzo. I had the DodoCase for a little while, but eventually the rubber pads started to wear out and allowed the iPad to slip out easily. Dodo does send out replacement pads if you need it, but I didn't want to mess with it.

With the Portenzo iPad case, it seems better designed with more of a ridge/rubber pad to hold the iPad in. I did order the case that allows for a stylus to be held in the binder. That's kinda cool.

Will update this thread once I receive it.

Seamaster
Oct 25, 2010, 09:48 AM
Got my Portenzo today, and I've got to say I'm impressed. Very well manufactured from high quality materials. And have no fear about the corner grips. They've nailed that. Your iPad ain't going nowhere once it's seated in that bay. Full marks all round. The Dodo just got made extinct again.

http://i54.tinypic.com/r91x08.jpg

For versatility, I still think the Yoobao V3/"Magic" case leads the field. But aesthetically, this one's the best we've seen so far.

downingp
Oct 25, 2010, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the quick review. I should be receiving mine on Wednesday. I can't wait.

PacMookBro
Oct 25, 2010, 01:38 PM
I had horrible experience with DODOcase. iPad simply falls out... I don't need a case anymore but Portenzo looks great! Does the iPad fall off easily like DODOcase?

Seamaster
Oct 25, 2010, 01:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnYRr1puGIE

PacMookBro
Oct 25, 2010, 01:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnYRr1puGIE

Cool! Can somebody test this personally to confirm of the fact? If it is confirmed Portenzo should be the Moleskine-type case to get. DODOcase shall be euthanized. ;)

mdwsta4
Oct 25, 2010, 02:03 PM
the portenza one looks really nice! i like how it has the elastic band to keep it closed and the optional stylus slot.
I recall seeing one the other week that had suede holder and city maps inner covers. I forget who made it. anyone have experience with that one?

Seamaster
Oct 25, 2010, 02:25 PM
Cool! Can somebody test this personally to confirm of the fact

I have and I can. :)

prot0type
Oct 25, 2010, 04:31 PM
Very appreciative of the reviews.

Looking to order a case from them come Nov 1st, love the retro cover :)

tbayrgs
Oct 25, 2010, 05:08 PM
the portenza one looks really nice! i like how it has the elastic band to keep it closed and the optional stylus slot.
I recall seeing one the other week that had suede holder and city maps inner covers. I forget who made it. anyone have experience with that one?

The case you're referring to is from Treegloo (http://treegloo.com/options) but I haven't seen much in the way of reviews/experiences, other than someone in these forums complaining the the paper used for the liner was stiff/brittle and ripped on theirs.

I have a Dodocase and while I'm very happy with it (improved corner pads installed--keeps iPad very secure), if I ever need to replace it, I'll probably give the Portenzo a try.

JonMPLS
Oct 25, 2010, 05:32 PM
I like the style of these a lot, but just wish they would come up with a strap or something to keep it stable in a horizontal video mode.

mdwsta4
Oct 25, 2010, 07:43 PM
Yup, that was it. Thanks!

The case you're referring to is from Treegloo (http://treegloo.com/options) but I haven't seen much in the way of reviews/experiences, other than someone in these forums complaining the the paper used for the liner was stiff/brittle and ripped on theirs.

I have a Dodocase and while I'm very happy with it (improved corner pads installed--keeps iPad very secure), if I ever need to replace it, I'll probably give the Portenzo a try.

PacMookBro
Oct 25, 2010, 10:50 PM
I have and I can. :)

Thanks for confirming. I'll recommend Portenzo over DODO to my co-worker. ;)

mechanopony
Oct 27, 2010, 04:58 PM

I'm waiting on my case from Treegloo, but before I ordered, I them asked about the liner issue...

Turns out that guy bought his from used from eBay (and it was a prototype) but they replaced it anyway, which is pretty cool. They said the paper is reinforced with cloth and if I wanted a cloth liner I just had to ask. They're working on getting that option up on their website.

I liked the maps too, so I got the London one. Tracking info says it will be here tomorrow! :D

Since there aren't really reviews around, I'll try to put one together. ;)

Sterne
Oct 29, 2010, 08:58 PM
I have both Dodo and Portenzo cases - here is a link to a really longwinded review I wrote:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/topic.php?uid=123071037743833&topic=81

Short answer - Portenzo starts where Dodo should have been, and adds a ton of cool options for cover materials.

Steven

okrelayer
Oct 29, 2010, 09:11 PM
Great review. Glad I just ordered the portenzo. You said the typing angle is even better? Also, is it as beautiful as the dodo? Their website doesn't have as great of pictures.

Sterne
Oct 29, 2010, 09:20 PM
The Portenzo is definitely nicer looking inside - the two look equally sharp closed, in my view - until you get into the exotics, where Portenzo is doing some cool stuff. The black Alano and the ostrich-embossed leather are both amazing to behold.

You will be happy with the Portenzo.

downingp
Oct 29, 2010, 09:26 PM
Sterne,

Do you really feel like the iPad is flush against the bamboo case? In looking at mine, I would say the iPad definitely sits up above the bamboo slightly.

Sterne
Oct 29, 2010, 09:43 PM
Good point - it sits evenly in the bamboo tray with the top of the tray just below the iPad's aluminum bevel. What I should have said is, the Portenzo is not at all warped; it hits the iPad at the same point all the way around.

downingp
Oct 29, 2010, 09:51 PM
Just emailed Portenzo about the best strategy to get the iPad out of the case.

Sterne
Oct 29, 2010, 09:55 PM
If you push down on one of the bottom corners of the bamboo while lifting the iPad up at the dock connector, it pops out nicely. Try pushing one corner, then the other.

downingp
Oct 30, 2010, 08:40 PM
I just received an email back from darin at portenzo and want to comment again on the fast response and excellent customer service. I asked Darin specifically about taking the iPad out of the case and this was his response.

As for the easiest way to remove the iPad, I will try to explain (video coming soon!). This makes it ridiculously easy to remove the iPad.

1 - Put the case face down on a table in front of you with the elastic strap loose on top (NOT wrapped around the cover) and the spine facing you.
2 - open the case (it will be facing away from you) by lifting it open about an inch (while the cover stays flat on the table) by the edges or frame.
Do this with one hand on each corner of the back cover and frame.
3 - Then place your thumbs toward the center of the case and gently push down FIRST WITH ONE THUMB, THEN WITH THE OTHER.

The ipad will simply drop out of the case (gently landing on the cover, remember your only open by an inch or so) as if you were getting ice out of a tray.

I just tried this method and it works really well.
Thanks again Portenzo.

Sterne
Oct 30, 2010, 10:37 PM
Yep, I just tried that - it works great. And Darin is very committed to Portenzo's customers.

Drag'nGT
Oct 30, 2010, 10:41 PM
Beautiful... and I can't prop it up for a movie. Yoobao V4 still looks like the best all around.

Seamaster
Oct 31, 2010, 01:23 PM
Beautiful... and I can't prop it up for a movie. Yoobao V4 still looks like the best all around.

Sure it's not as rock solid as the Yoobao, but I find it's steady enough propped up, even on a surface as slippery as my glass desktop.

http://i56.tinypic.com/125nx94.jpg

ksmith80209
Nov 1, 2010, 01:35 PM
Sure it's not as rock solid as the Yoobao, but I find it's steady enough propped up, even on a surface as slippery as my glass desktop.

How are you getting it to stand like that? Is it purely friction?

Seamaster
Nov 1, 2010, 01:40 PM
How are you getting it to stand like that? Is it purely friction?

Yes. The faux leather cover, the rigidity of the spine and the weight of the ipad are sufficient to keep it upright, albeit only in a narrow range of angles.

blackberrypilot
Nov 11, 2010, 08:51 PM
I fell in love with the Portenzo composition notebook case so I ordered one last night. Approx how long does it take from ordering to delivery? 2-3 weeks?

Sterne
Nov 11, 2010, 08:58 PM
My Portenzos have come in 1-2 weeks, but the factory may be busier now. Best thing to do is email Darin and ask him; he's extremely responsive and helpful.

Let us know how you like the Comp!

Seamaster
Nov 12, 2010, 01:02 AM
I had mine within a week from ordering, all the way from the USA.

jgATL
Nov 13, 2010, 11:54 AM
Anyone have a current coupon code for the Portenzo? Facebook09 expired Oct 22nd.

blackberrypilot
Nov 14, 2010, 09:42 PM
Do they you a tracking number? Its been 4 days and under status it still says processing, but also say it may have shipped already. I've e-mailed Darin and haven't received any responses. I'm so anxious to get this awesome portenzo!!

Where do they ship from, Cali?

Sterne
Nov 15, 2010, 08:07 AM
They ship from St. Louis. Darin is usually really good about returning emails; maybe try him again?

Which model and color did you order?

blackberrypilot
Nov 15, 2010, 06:48 PM
I ordered the composition notebook one. I e-mailed him yesterday, but still no response. Order still says processing. I guess I'll just have to wait and see! :( :apple::apple:

prot0type
Nov 15, 2010, 07:17 PM
I ordered my composition case on the 28th of last month, it finally shipped today.

From what Darren told me, it was a combo of what my position was on the ordering queue as well as recent changes made to the case to improve securing the ipad to the case, these are what led to the delay.

He's pretty quick with the email replies though, so you should hear from him soon enough.

blackberrypilot
Nov 15, 2010, 09:52 PM
Thanks pr0totype. Be sure to post some pictures when you get it!! That's what fine looking case.

Portenzo!
Nov 17, 2010, 06:29 PM
Firstly, thank you all for taking the time to check out Portenzo cases!

We are extremely proud of our high quality products and our customer service. (blackberrypilot, I don't know your email address, so I can't look and see why you haven't gotten an email response from us yet, email me with 'blackberrypilot' in the subject line and I will investigate)

While emailing us from the website is definitely the fastest way to get a response, I will occasionally check in on this thread to see if I can answer any questions that come up.

To catch a few in advance, here are some common questions, you can find many more on our FAQ's, but I hope this will help this thread.

Why are the Alanos and the other leathers private order only? Because it is the only way we can keep reasonable shipping times. We are working being able to make more of these and keep up with demand.

Why are your shipping charges half of what others charge? Our shipping is priced to be fair for both of us. We pretty much break even on shipping by charging $15 or less to anywhere in the world. Canada and US are the least expensive. Others charge $25 just to Canada, we charge $12.95, $7.95 to the US. (Flat rate)

Can you stand it up in horizontal mode? Yes, and if the surface is too slippery, we use the elastic as a 'catch' on which to place the back cover. It kind of 'hooks' itself to keep the back cover in place. I will see if I can post a photo.

Does it fold flat when opened all the way? Yes, it can fold completely back on itself. If yours is stiff, just gently push it down and it will respond well. This makes it a 'little' less sturdy in the upright typing position, but so far our customers really like that it can fold flat. Most people prop it on their lap or something if typing anyway.

Do your corners ever come loose over time? Absolutely not. They are sooo stuck that you have to yank them out with pliers and even then, they break apart, rather than come loose. They simply don't come out. We use industrial glue, so you won't ever have to fix your own case. Our elastic straps are double-glued (by hand) in as well. These should never fail. In fact, I picked up a bucket with 4 bricks in it by the elastic strap on one of my cases, just to see how well our glue was holding. It did not come loose.

Will my iPad always fit snug and tight? Yes. You iPad is in no danger of falling out form normal use. The pads will loosen up slightly over time, as they form to grip the iPads shape. They will not lose holding power, but it will become slightly easier to put the iPad in and out after a short while (whether or not you install and remove it).

Do you charge for interior colors besides red, like others do? No, there is no charge for other inside colors. They cost the same and they take the same effort to build, so no, all 10 color options are the same price. This is subject to change, but it is accurate at the time of this posting.

The Composition (http://tiny.cc/umhak) and Wingtip (http://tiny.cc/j42di) cases do cost a little more, due to the increased time it takes to make these.

Which case do you use/prefer? ALL OF THEM!!! Of course I constantly change cases to see how each style responds to use, or to see how a particular leather feels and holds up. But, I must confess, the Alano (for dress) and the Composition (for casual) are my favorites.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions at all, and please send us your suggestions/comments on product development and improvement.

Darin and Team Portenzo!

Portenzo!
Nov 17, 2010, 07:19 PM
Here is the image of how I use the case in horizontal mode. It sets up easily after you do it once, and it hasn't slipped on any surface we have tried it on so far.

I don't use this position much, it's usually on my lap, or flat. But it does work when I need it to.

Thanks again!
Darin

https://shop.portenzo.com/v/vspfiles/photos/Composition%20iPad%20Case-7.jpg

JonMPLS
Nov 17, 2010, 08:05 PM
Here is the image of how I use the case in horizontal mode. It sets up easily after you do it once, and it hasn't slipped on any surface we have tried it on so far.

I don't use this position much, it's usually on my lap, or flat. But it does work when I need it to.

Thanks again!
Darin

https://shop.portenzo.com/v/vspfiles/photos/Composition%20iPad%20Case-7.jpg

Nice photo. Is the Alano stiff enough to do this with? Thanks!

Portenzo!
Nov 17, 2010, 08:38 PM
Yes, the Alano can do the same thing.

Darin

prot0type
Nov 17, 2010, 10:58 PM
Thanks pr0totype. Be sure to post some pictures when you get it!! That's what fine looking case.

Pics posted in the Portenzo Composition thread :)

aricher
Nov 18, 2010, 06:58 AM
Nice photo. Is the Alano stiff enough to do this with? Thanks!

Yes, the Alano can do the same thing. Darin

I have to say that Darin's response time to my email queries has been fantastic. I emailed last night asking the same question as JonMPLS and Darin emailed back almost instantly with 2 photos. I have attached them here. After sleeping on it I've decided to order the Alano in black this morning. Thanks Darin for answering my multiple questions about this great looking case.

tirnszw
Nov 18, 2010, 07:29 AM
I have to say that Darin's response time to my email queries has been fantastic. I emailed last night asking the same question as JonMPLS and Darin emailed back almost instantly with 2 photos. I have attached them here. After sleeping on it I've decided to order the Alano in black this morning. Thanks Darin for answering my multiple questions about this great looking case.

So the pictures show two different angles for landscape orientation? Or they show alano before the spine was gently creased (left photo) and alano after it was creased (right photo)?

Portenzo!
Nov 18, 2010, 08:04 AM
So the pictures show two different angles for landscape orientation? Or they show alano before the spine was gently creased (left photo) and alano after it was creased (right photo)?

Sorry, I did not explain these photos well when I sent them. The one on the left is the Dark Chocolate (slightly thinner leather and slightly more flexible), the one on the right is the Midnight Black. I sent them both just to show how they can stand horizontally.

They don't show the color very well. I will try to post some good color shots later today.

Darin

blackberrypilot
Nov 18, 2010, 01:03 PM
I just received my Composition iPad case..... the case is perfection. Everyone is going to be admiring it. ;)

Themanmbh
Nov 18, 2010, 01:45 PM
A real story...

So I am standing on the platform waiting for the train to come when I notice a man standing next to me with an iPad in a black and red Dodocase (it is a nice looking case by the way). He's reading the New York Times on his iPad. I look at him and say, "Nice case, how are the corner pads holding up?' He responds, "I received new ones, but they don't hold the case secure. I've resorted to gluing them to the frame..."

I was going to pull my Portenzo black leather Alano wrapped iPad out of my bag, but then I thought to myself "Do I really want to make this guy feel bad?"

A train rolled into the station and he got on. Good thing it wasn't my train.

The end.

Michael

PieMac
Nov 18, 2010, 09:51 PM
Sorry, I did not explain these photos well when I sent them. The one on the left is the Dark Chocolate (slightly thinner leather and slightly more flexible), the one on the right is the Midnight Black. I sent them both just to show how they can stand horizontally.

They don't show the color very well. I will try to post some good color shots later today.

Darin

Former Dodocase owner here...I am probably going to be ordering the Alano- would love the see a photo of each of the other colors offered...chocolate brown and light tan (buck naked, I think is what it's called)?

Thanks!

Sterne
Nov 18, 2010, 10:29 PM
Former Dodocase owner here...I am probably going to be ordering the Alano- would love the see a photo of each of the other colors offered...chocolate brown and light tan (buck naked, I think is what it's called)?

Thanks!

Pictures of my Buck Naked Alano are on the Portenzo Facebook page.

PieMac
Nov 19, 2010, 08:49 AM
Pictures of my Buck Naked Alano are on the Portenzo Facebook page.

Thanks for the link! I'm a big fan of tan and buckskin/natural looking leather-have you found that it is taking on more character and darkening with age and use?
I love black as well, but light brown leathers usually gain a great patina and character with age and get even better looking with time as they break in, black not as much...at least IMHO.

Sterne
Nov 19, 2010, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the link! I'm a big fan of tan and buckskin/natural looking leather-have you found that it is taking on more character and darkening with age and use?
I love black as well, but light brown leathers usually gain a great patina and character with age and get even better looking with time as they break in, black not as much...at least IMHO.

The tan is starting to darken and the grain is coming out more - but it's only been a few weeks since I bought the Alanos, so it has not dramatically changed color...it will, though.

PieMac
Nov 19, 2010, 09:39 AM
The tan is starting to darken and the grain is coming out more - but it's only been a few weeks since I bought the Alanos, so it has not dramatically changed color...it will, though.

Thanks again for your input-think that's the one for me! And I can also see me buying another down the road...!

PieMac
Nov 19, 2010, 04:02 PM
Just one more thing, it does look like the black is a more "polished" type leather; whereas the tan looks more rough and unfinished-especially The inside of the cover (from your pic on Facebook). Is the texture on the inside of the cover more rough or smooth to touch?

bobpensik
Nov 19, 2010, 06:44 PM
I apologize if this question has already been answered, I didn't see it as I read through the thread.

Can you fit the iPad in the Portenzo case if the iPad has a skin on it (like the SGP skin?)

Portenzo!
Nov 19, 2010, 07:05 PM
I apologize if this question has already been answered, I didn't see it as I read through the thread.

Can you fit the iPad in the Portenzo case if the iPad has a skin on it (like the SGP skin?)

As long as the flat edge of the perimeter of the ipad is not obstructed, AND the film on the back is not more than 1mm thick, it will fit.

The right-angled sides are what is most important. Even a thick film on the back is ok, it just may cause the iPad to sit higher in the case, but it won't obstruct the grip on the sides/corners.

The spine/cover combination has room for expansion (lots of people like to put some papers in there when its closed, not for protection, but for storage). So, it is built to accommodate that.

Thanks!
Darin

Sterne
Nov 19, 2010, 07:06 PM
Just one more thing, it does look like the black is a more "polished" type leather; whereas the tan looks more rough and unfinished-especially The inside of the cover (from your pic on Facebook). Is the texture on the inside of the cover more rough or smooth to touch?

The front is smooth and the inside has texture from the grain but is not rough or scratchy.

anthonymoody
Nov 19, 2010, 09:51 PM
Darin helped me through the custom leather choices when their site was being redone some time ago. As a full time iPad user my case is extremely important to me.

I am SO glad i chose to go with a Portenzo (the leather is wearing Beautifully!!) and will definitely get one for my iPad2 in a few months ;)

flatline82
Nov 20, 2010, 04:17 PM
w00t! I love my Portenzo case.... got me a black/blue one made and think its fantastic. Video review for it went live today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjaG_yrWuDY

tirnszw
Nov 20, 2010, 04:36 PM
w00t! I love my Portenzo case.... got me a black/blue one made and think its fantastic. Video review for it went live today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjaG_yrWuDY

Looking sharp! Elegant color combination. Thanks for the review of the case in video format. I can now imagine mine shipped in a glossy plastic wrap. ;)

P.S. It must be the new iMovie you used to create the intro. The theatrical trailer template is awesome!

flatline82
Nov 20, 2010, 04:41 PM
Hehe, yeah...its one NICE case. By far one of my favorites. And yeah, awesome color combo hehe.

Like the intro huh? :cool: As you said, the new iMovie...and it took like 2 minutes to do, very cool indeed.

Thanks for watching it!

Edit: I also added an annotation clarifying its shipped inside a nicely done cardboard box which was also inside a padded envelope, hehe =P

Sterne
Nov 20, 2010, 04:43 PM

I enjoyed the review too - those new corners are very nice; even nicer looking than the ones on my Portenzos. The blue looks great - better than I'd have guessed it would.

Portenzo!
Nov 20, 2010, 04:44 PM
Darin helped me through the custom leather choices when their site was being redone some time ago. As a full time iPad user my case is extremely important to me.

I am SO glad i chose to go with a Portenzo (the leather is wearing Beautifully!!) and will definitely get one for my iPad2 in a few months ;)

Hey, you got the Wild Boar, correct? Do you have any pics of how it is wearing/patina-ing? We love to see them after they age, quite nice.

Darin

PieMac
Nov 20, 2010, 04:59 PM
Hey, you got the Wild Boar, correct? Do you have any pics of how it is wearing/patina-ing? We love to see them after they age, quite nice.

Darin

Darin, do you still have the wild boar available? If so, yay and argh all at once! You guys have so many great looking options- now I have it all narrowed down to five! LOL!! :eek:

And I second the others-great video review!!

downingp
Nov 20, 2010, 05:12 PM
I also can not wait for my black Alano case to arrive. I have a standard portenzo and have loved it! I can only imagine what the Alano will look and feel like. I know Darin said it was one of his favorites.

flatline82
Nov 20, 2010, 05:17 PM
Glad you liked the review guys! :D Thanks!

Portenzo!
Nov 20, 2010, 05:24 PM
Darin, do you still have the wild boar available? If so, yay and argh all at once! You guys have so many great looking options- now I have it all narrowed down to five! LOL!! :eek:

And I second the others-great video review!!

LOL, you have no idea... we have DOZENS of materials and styles, we just don't have enough craftsmen (Craftspeople) to make them all, stock them all, photograph them all, etc. And we wanted to focus on the core product/engineering first, then expand on that idea second.

I drive my team crazy, I literally go at this for 18 hours straight every day, 7 days a week (it is truly my passion) and they just can't keep up. But, that's my own fault for insisting on keeping 'hands on' in every facet of the operation.

The team is hard at it right now making sure we get as many orders out as possible before people start traveling for Thanksgiving. (No one wants to travel with a Naked iPad!)

I would love to make some more Wild Boar. After we get through the next batch of Alanos and Stingray!s (clears throat) I may see if we can do a limited edition of the Wild Boar.

Thanks again!
Darin

Sterne
Nov 20, 2010, 05:35 PM
I would love to make some more Wild Boar. After we get through the next batch of Alanos and Stingray!s (clears throat) I may see if we can do a limited edition of the Wild Boar.

Thanks again!
Darin

Yep, Stingrays first...can't wait!

JonMPLS
Nov 20, 2010, 05:48 PM
Stingray: Just a FYI, it is just super durable. I have a watchband of stingray and it is really durable (and super color).

Sterne
Nov 20, 2010, 05:55 PM
Stingray: Just a FYI, it is just super durable. I have a watchband of stingray and it is really durable (and super color).

Very cool.

Emoo
Nov 26, 2010, 12:42 AM
I was poking around some reviews of the Dodocase and came across the Portenzo, where I saw it had an option for a built in stylus area. Is the portenzo with the stylus holder any wider or larger than the one without? It looks like that's the case, but I haven't found specific dimensions of either version.

RichardMZhlubb
Nov 26, 2010, 01:17 PM
I had a Dodocase for about two months. I loved it, but got sick of the corners coming unglued, no matter what I tried, so I ordered a Portenzo case. I've had it for a few days, and while I'm happy that I no longer have to worry about the corners, there are several areas where I really prefer the Dodocase's approach/design. First, the hinge on the Portenzo is much looser. I know that some people like the fact that the cover can be folded flat when open, but I miss being able to fold the cover under to prop the iPad up at an angle (with the Portenzo, it always slides flat eventually, no matter how I position the cover). It's also much looser whenever I pick it up. With the Dodocase, it felt like a book when closed (i.e., with a solid binding); but with the Portenzo, whenever I pick it up, the cover slides slightly. I also much prefer the aesthetics of the thinner bamboo frame on the Dodocase and the more open design around all of the ports.

I've superglued the corners back onto my Dodocase and I'm probably going to go back to using it (for as long as the superglue lasts).

ksmith80209
Nov 26, 2010, 01:40 PM
I was poking around some reviews of the Dodocase and came across the Portenzo, where I saw it had an option for a built in stylus area. Is the portenzo with the stylus holder any wider or larger than the one without? It looks like that's the case, but I haven't found specific dimensions of either version.

According to Darin of Portezo, slightly wider, negligible weight difference..

zhenya
Nov 26, 2010, 08:14 PM
I had a Dodocase for about two months. I loved it, but got sick of the corners coming unglued, no matter what I tried, so I ordered a Portenzo case. I've had it for a few days, and while I'm happy that I no longer have to worry about the corners, there are several areas where I really prefer the Dodocase's approach/design. First, the hinge on the Portenzo is much looser. I know that some people like the fact that the cover can be folded flat when open, but I miss being able to fold the cover under to prop the iPad up at an angle (with the Portenzo, it always slides flat eventually, no matter how I position the cover). It's also much looser whenever I pick it up. With the Dodocase, it felt like a book when closed (i.e., with a solid binding); but with the Portenzo, whenever I pick it up, the cover slides slightly. I also much prefer the aesthetics of the thinner bamboo frame on the Dodocase and the more open design around all of the ports.

I've superglued the corners back onto my Dodocase and I'm probably going to go back to using it (for as long as the superglue lasts).

Those are pretty much the same negatives I've seen in thinking about switching from the Dodo to a Portenzo. Part of me would like the ability to fold flat, but its good to hear some feedback about these differences. I tend to use high-end headphones with large plugs, and the Dodo so far works with all of them. It looks like the Portenzo would be a tight fit? I agree that the more open Dodo frame looks better.

PieMac
Dec 6, 2010, 01:46 PM

Being a former DODOcase owner, I also agree with the points made here. I, too, got sick of the corners constantly coming unglued. I went through 3 sets of replacements in two months and could have gone through more but finally tired of the constant issue and sold it.
I also decided to give Portenzo a go and got their Composition case...top notch quality and the corner solution is perfect-no issues what-so-ever. That said, I would also consider buying another DODOcase down the road for the reasons listed by Richard...IF they finally resolve the corner issue. From what DODO has said recently on their Facebook and Twitter account, they have hopefully come up with a winning solution in collaboration with 3M...anybody have a new DODOcase that can confirm this?
I can also confirm that the hinge does give more with use on the Portenzo... but that's the only possible downside I can find and so far, it's not an issue and hopefully won't be.

tirnszw
Dec 6, 2010, 08:54 PM

Thanks pointing out the issue. It is of my concern, too.

I think DODOcase has better case design. I like how top and bottom lateral sides are exposed. I wish DODO and Portenzo collaborate on making an all-round moleskine-style book case. For now I am staying away from either DODO or Portenzo despite the good reviews on Portenzo.

bigbro1096
Dec 7, 2010, 10:07 PM
In a pickle!!! I want two cases like these but here's the problem I want one the composition case from portenzo but don't know if I should get the notebook style also from portenzo or the map paper lining from treegoo?! If anyone can help with either a review or personal experience/preference I would be grateful! Thank you for your time and help.

boston04and07
Dec 15, 2010, 10:33 PM
These cases really look great. I was looking at them for my iPhone 4...only problem is their lack of a cutout for the camera. The Pad&Quill has a cutout so I guess I'll have to go with that, even though I generally like the design of the Portenzo a lot better. With the Pad&Quill you have to have the bright red interior, whereas you can choose a more subtle color with the Portenzo, which I like. I wish it were, at least, an option to have one. I'm also thinking about picking up an iPad 2 next year, and if the rumors are true about the rear-facing camera, it makes me nervous that they might not include a camera cutout on the iPad cases due to the lack of one on the iPhone case. Sure, it'd mess up the aesthetics a little bit, but it'd be great if we at least had the option to have one. :)

RichardMZhlubb
Dec 22, 2010, 08:25 AM

Well, I gave the Portenzo case a month, but I just don't like it. The cover's too loose and it won't stay in place for typing. It always slides flat. It's too bad, because the case looks great. I'm just annoyed that I wasted $60.

tirnszw
Dec 22, 2010, 08:57 AM
Well, I gave the Portenzo case a month, but I just don't like it. The cover's too loose and it won't stay in place for typing. It always slides flat. It's too bad, because the case looks great. I'm just annoyed that I wasted $60.

Ive also tried regular Portenzo case for an hour and quickly found out that the cover is too loose and it is precarious as a typing stand. So I guess the case is not designed for functionality, but for aesthetics.

Seamaster
Dec 22, 2010, 04:32 PM
Ive also tried regular Portenzo case for an hour and quickly found out that the cover is too loose and it is precarious as a typing stand. So I guess the case is not designed for functionality, but for aesthetics.

Likewise. I loved my Portenzo the best iPad case to date, aesthetically but I couldn't live without a stable typing position. I've ended up back where I started: with an Apple case.

SimonBS
Dec 28, 2010, 12:24 PM
How much thickness does the Portenzo case add to the iPad? Compared to the DODOcase? And the Apple iPad Case?

I really do now want that much thickness added to my iPad.

zhenya
Dec 28, 2010, 12:37 PM
How much thickness does the Portenzo case add to the iPad? Compared to the DODOcase? And the Apple iPad Case?

I really do now want that much thickness added to my iPad.

They are both about double the thickness of the iPad alone. The Apple case is among the slimmest full-cover cases you'll find, and is probably slightly more than 1/2 the thickness of the Dodo/Portenzo.

Seamaster
Dec 28, 2010, 12:59 PM
How much thickness does the Portenzo case add to the iPad? Compared to the DODOcase? And the Apple iPad Case? I really do now want that much thickness added to my iPad.

Dodocase/Portenzo: a lot.

Apple case: hardly any.

zhenya
Dec 28, 2010, 01:19 PM
I wish to amend my statement. I happen to have two iPad's here - 1 in a Dodo and 1 in the Apple case. I went to take a picture of the difference, and they look exactly the same in the photo. The Dodo is very slightly thicker, but much, much closer than I thought - perhaps by the thickness of the Dodo's top cover - that is, 1-2mm.

The Apple case, because it keeps the tapered iPad form factor, seems slimmer, but in actuality, they are almost the same.

SimonBS
Dec 28, 2010, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the replies. Now I'm tempted to go for the DODOcase or Portenzo. It's a hard decision to change from the Apple case :)

kds786
Jan 8, 2011, 08:01 PM
This thread has made my decision for me! I was set on buying a dodo case, but now I'm definitely going for the Portenzo. I love the look of it, and it seems that it is getting great reviews here! Going to place my order in a few minutes!

JonMPLS
Jan 8, 2011, 08:17 PM
This thread has made my decision for me! I was set on buying a dodo case, but now I'm definitely going for the Portenzo. I love the look of it, and it seems that it is getting great reviews here! Going to place my order in a few minutes!

Hi! I also have one of each. i use it a lot unless I want a really stable landscape mode, like on an airplane tray table.

Not sure if you have seen the Alano version, kind of hard to find the link:
https://shop.portenzo.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=iPad%20%20Alano

Have fun!

kds786
Jan 9, 2011, 01:13 AM
Hi! I also have one of each. i use it a lot unless I want a really stable landscape mode, like on an airplane tray table.

Not sure if you have seen the Alano version, kind of hard to find the link:
https://shop.portenzo.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=iPad%20%20Alano

Have fun!

Thanks for the link! I decided on the regular notebook hard case. The Alano is beautiful, but I think the other works better for me. I cant wait to get it!

RichardMZhlubb
Jan 9, 2011, 09:26 AM
After dumping my Dodocase because the corners kept coming loose, and then dumping my Portenzo case because I hated the fact that the cover was so loose, I bought a Yoobao slim case, which I love.

However, my wife has now tried both of my discarded cases for the new iPad I bought her for Christmas and she definitely prefers the Dodocase (now that I've superglued the corners).

zhenya
Jan 9, 2011, 01:54 PM
FYI, Dodo will send you new corners with a new adhesive that so far appear to be sticking permanently.

PieMac
Jan 9, 2011, 02:44 PM
I have owned a DoDocase (sold it-got tired of constantly replacing corner pads), then I got a Portenzo composition case-very well made but I have noticed the spine becoming more loose with use...no problems with corners but it's difficult should you want to remove your iPad-they work almost too good.

I decided to give DODOcase another go and it arrived with numerous issues-cracked or split bamboo and the cover would not fold back around. DODOcase finally got around to refunding my money for the case and shipping, but the experience certainly didn't instill any further confidence in their product.

I got a good price on the Jack Spade folio case that Apple sells on EBay-nice case, well made as you would expect, and that is what I'm currently using...I switch back and forth with the Portenzo.

greenoctopus
Jan 10, 2011, 10:45 PM
Hello,

Does anyone know if Darin from Portenzo is responding to emails? I've been trying to get a hold of him the last 32 hours but with no luck. I was reading that he answers email pretty quickly.

I bought a Portenzo case but then i read this thread and want to upgrade my case to a nicer skin. Hopefully Darin will be able to respond to my email so I can find out what custom options I can get.

Anyone know if there is a customer support number I can call instead of waiting for Darin to respond to email?

Would love to get the case soon as I need to travel.

Bob

mdwsta4
Jan 12, 2011, 11:24 PM
I received a portenzo case for christmas and love it. Unfortunately the bamboo had a huge chunk missing out of the top corner. I contacted portenzo for a replacement. Their first response was within 24 hours. But I haven't heard back since the 30th even after sending multiple follow up emails. Starting to get pretty upset with the lack of service. I can understand a few days delay around the new year holiday, but it's been nearly two weeks!

Portenzo!
Jan 13, 2011, 11:06 AM
Hi guys (and gals!), I do apologize for the delay in responding to some emails. We expected sales to drop off after the Holiday season, and, well, that did not happen. So, we were caught a little off guard with the continued volume. (if you emailed and did not get a response in several days, then please re-send)

I will do my best to respond to all emails within 24 hours or less.

Shipping times are slipping a bit, but we are catching up.

If you like the stiffer spine that stays more upright for typing angles, your in luck. Our newest model now has a much stiffer spine when opened all the way. (no need to request it, all currently shipping cases are this model.)

Ohh, and the Portenzo ID sticker on the inside of the case cover is easily removable if you don't want it. It won't leave a residue or mark. The second sticker in the package is not a mistake, we include an extra, just in case you want to re-write it, or give the case away later...

Thanks again, and super thanks for your patience!

Darin, Nicole, Kris, & Team Portenzo

Sibilance7
Jan 14, 2011, 01:03 AM
I have a Portenzo that I received maybe two weeks ago, and I think it must have the new spine. It is quite stiff and stays in the typing position very well. I absolutely love the case!

blackberrypilot
Jan 14, 2011, 08:15 PM
I've had the dodo and its pretty good, but I like the portenzo the best.;)

PacMookBro
Jan 21, 2011, 12:47 PM
If iPad 2 comes with the rear-facing camera, both DODOcase and Portenzo Case would need a rear cut-out on the case, which would look ugly. How would DODOcase and Portenzo handle the new design of iPad 2 (if there will be any change to the current iPad design)? If they keep the same design, the corner pads holding iPad will be put to the test (by taking iPad in and out for the rear camera).

Seamaster
Jan 21, 2011, 05:17 PM
How does Portenzo handle the camera in its iPhone case?

bigbro1096
Jan 21, 2011, 07:55 PM
How does Portenzo handle the camera in its iPhone case?

It doesn't, there's no camera hole

Seamaster
Jan 22, 2011, 04:03 AM
It doesn't, there's no camera hole

QED.

So why think their iPad case will be any different?

PacMookBro
Jan 22, 2011, 01:16 PM
QED.

So why think their iPad case will be any different?

That is too bad for a beautifully made case... If I get the iPad with rear camera, DODOcase or Portenzo won't be a choice, at least for me. Who would want to take out the case every time rear camera is used (most likely outside)?

I am interested in how the case design may change to accommodate the "rumored" redesign of iPad. The case market is big and competitive. Case manufacturers (such as DODOcase and Portenzo) with better plan to accommodate the latest change in product design will survive the market, IMHO.

Anyway, I am using my iPad naked and it always will be. After trying out some cases suggested in the discussion boards (including, of course, Portenzo), the naked iPad simply fits my needs.

PieMac
Jan 22, 2011, 01:26 PM
If iPad 2 comes with the rear-facing camera, both DODOcase and Portenzo Case would need a rear cut-out on the case, which would look ugly. How would DODOcase and Portenzo handle the new design of iPad 2 (if there will be any change to the current iPad design)? If they keep the same design, the corner pads holding iPad will be put to the test (by taking iPad in and out for the rear camera).

Just FYI, DODOcase just sent out a mailer and they mention that they are preparing for the new iPad release...you can sign up on their site for updates about the newly designed case they are working on.

PacMookBro
Jan 22, 2011, 01:33 PM
Just FYI, DODOcase just sent out a mailer and they mention that they are preparing for the new iPad release...you can sign up on their site for updates about the newly designed case they are working on.

Cool. I knew Portenzo was working on it! Thanks! :)

NJANJA
Feb 9, 2011, 10:55 PM
Just thought I'd post an issue re the DODOcase I purchased before Christmas.

It isn't like the one they use for their photography. In the photos, it's this really nice laminated bamboo with three layers. When you get your DODOcase, you'll see they are now just four straight (routed?) pieces of bamboo nailed or stapled at the corners. Not sure of the exact difference in terms of construction, but it's clearly not the same. Thinking of making a complaint to consumer bodies because it's pretty shady stuff, I think. And even if that isn't really a big deal, I have to say the build quality is just way behind the Portenzo, which isn't exactly a work of art to begin with...

Still searching for the perfect case...

zhenya
Feb 27, 2011, 09:51 AM
Just wanted to update this thread by saying that my Dodocase has been holding up really well for the 5+ months that I've had it. I of course had issues with the corners early on, but they sent me replacements early this year that have solved the issue 100%. I was also worried that the binding and especially the fabric liner would not stand up over the long term, but after the first month of so of break in, it hasn't changed in any appreciable way, and other than scuff marks on the cover (which I think just mean it looks well loved), this thing is still holding up great.

I really hope future generations of the iPad don't add features that prevent the use of this style of case, because I'd definitely want one on every iPad in the future. Heck, even if they end up with a back camera, I would honestly rather keep this style case and lose access to a camera that I'd virtually never use.

bthompson
Mar 3, 2011, 08:25 AM
Well I started this thread and wanted to chime in on my daily use of the Portenzo. This case still looks great as from day 1, and I continue to get compliments on it. Early on my iPad was coming loose but Darren and his team repaired mine and it's worked great since. I think this was a fluke as I have had no problems since. The spine on mine isn't as strong as it once was, and it will sometimes slide when it's in the typing position. A minor problem in my book.

Overall I am still very happy with this case and hopes this leads others to choose Portenzo!