Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ambermacbook14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
I spilled a little water on my macbook screen and I just got a paper towl and wiped it off at first but then I realizewd a little later than it had a spot and if you tilt it you can see like a scratch on the screen. Right now I have it turned off and titled upside down. Should I do this? If yes, how long should I keep it like this? PLEASE HELP ME! I am a nervous wreck and on the verge of tears because my mom will KILL ME if she finds out and I dont want it to be messed up. PLEASE PLEASE HELP!

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
If you can ... (just so your Mom does not kill you) leave it for as long as you can ... 2-3 days if possible. Even put a heater near it

good luck ... and dont worry about your Mom ... at worst she will get Mad.

It is very rare for Moms to Kill

ambermacbook14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Thanks for the advice! My freaking out is laughable now:rolleyes: since I know (or hope) everything will be okay. Normally my mother wouldn't freak or be mad at me but if I told her now (when she is half asleep) she would go off crazy haha. And btw, I'm a girl, not a boy.

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
Thanks for the advice! My freaking out is laughable now:rolleyes: since I know (or hope) everything will be okay. Normally my mother wouldn't freak or be mad at me but if I told her now (when she is half asleep) she would go off crazy haha. And btw, I'm a girl, not a boy.

glad you r feeling better ... when i said it is rare for Moms to Kill ... I did not know you were gonna wake her up lol

my Advise = never tell her

ambermacbook14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Trust me, you dont want to wake her up with bad news (been there done that, not going back haha) But I actually ended up telling her but I assured her that more than likely it would be fine and she didn't kill me (although, she had been awake for awhile;) ) Thanks again everyone and I will update once I have an update.

Macfreak456

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2010
TN
Let it dry and you'll be fine. I freak out everytime something goes wrong with my Macbook because my mom throws a fit about it.

happle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
as everyone is saying let it dry out for a few days. possibly try to get some heat near it. just some. you dont want it too hott. but the main point is to completely let it dry out before turning it on again.

its when you turn something on when it is still wet that will do damage. but yeah if possible let it dry for 2 days then try it. good luck

ambermacbook14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
UPDATE:

So I kept the macbook in the position I stated before for two days and a few minutes ago I turned it on. It started fine and normal but there is still a spot. The spot seems to have faded and is not really noticable but still there. Also, when I lean the screen toward me, there is still those scratched looking things at the bottom of the screen near the spot. I turned it off immeditaly then put it in the same posotion it was in before. What do I do now? Do I leave it like that or call apple to have it fixed in some way? Like I said, there obviously has been progress but I don't want to go on with using it if there is still or could be a problem with it. BTW, It was running completely fine before I shut it off which is good since I read that some other people's wasn't acting right or would not even start up. So what should I do now?

Oh and I apologize if there is some misspelings, I am on my brothers laptop and it is very different than what I am used to (his is a pc, mine is a mac of course) Plus he does not have a spell checker for me to correct my mistakes so please do not insult my grammar.

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
if your bro has a PC and you have a Mac ... he must be jealous

do not go to Apple ... you will only give them a chance to void the warranty

Use your Mac and try not to think about it ... We all have our fingers crossed for you and your Mac.

good luck Amber

ambermacbook14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
if your bro has a PC and you have a Mac ... he must be jealous

do not go to Apple ... you will only give them a chance to void the warranty

Use your Mac and try not to think about it ... We all have our fingers crossed for you and your Mac.

good luck Amber

Haha he is actually. His is newer than mine (he got the one I am on in June) but he is always asking to use mine.

Thanks for crossing your fingers for me. I think I may leave it another day or two and see what it amounts to.

Is there anyone else who has any advice for what I should do? Like I said in my last post, I am thinking of just doing the same thing and waiting another day or two but what does everyone else think I should do?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.