Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2008
In general I am annoyed at the lack of a simple way to get all your home movies viewable on ATV. Why can't it work the same way as it does with iPhoto? Just check a box in iTunes, and the entire iPhoto library is available on apple tv. Yet for movies you have to actually import your home movies, one-by-one, into iTunes. I've already spent time organizing my movies in iPhoto and iMovie. So why doesn't ATV just recognize that organizational structure? Instead I have to organize them again in iTunes.

Also, apparently the old trick of grouping home movies in iTunes by tagging them as the same "show" worked on ATV1, but does not work on ATV2. As far as I can tell, the only way to group home movies for ATV2 is b "genre". So, for example, I can tag all my Hawaii movie clips as being in the "Hawaii Vacation 2010" genre, and they get grouped separately, but as far as I can tell you can't subdivide any further than that. Anybody know a better way to do this for ATV2? I'd like to be able to go into Movies on my ATV2, then see a different folder for each year, then within a year folder I would have separate folders for different events, each event folder containing multiple clips. Anyone know if this is possible on aTV2?

jajohns8

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2008
Apple really took a step backward in how Itunes metadata is handled.

Scrambled TV listings, series listed out individually, no ability to group, etc.

I'm not sure how that made it through final software testing.

I bought an ATV 2, but have shelved it and went back to my ATV 1. Much better experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.