Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSandman2236

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Hi everyone...

My iMac will not boot to the system drive OR the DVD (snow leopard retail) -- the disk spins up and then goes the Apple logo and stops. Whats going on?

A bit of a background -- I was using visualhub to convert all of my MKV's to MP4's using two external drives -- apparently it was throwing tmp files on my system drive for fun. And it ate up ALL of my HDD space. It said I had 0K free. An error popped up about my startup disk and some tmp files and told me to repair the disk using the Mac OSX disk. Which I tried to do... But now it won't boot to the system disk OR the DVD.

Please help!

Thanks guys -- I appreciate it.

bbazzahh

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2010
Using a Wireless Keyboard?

Tried booting to the Install Disc from Startup Manager. Turn the machine on and hold down Option > Select the Install Disc and it should go through

TheSandman2236

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Using a Wireless Keyboard?

Tried booting to the Install Disc from Startup Manager. Turn the machine on and hold down Option > Select the Install Disc and it should go through

I'm using a wired k/b -- It wont boot to the install disk. It just sits at the apple logo, I left it there for an hour or so. No noise from the DVD drive. Though it spins up and sounds like its reading initially.

joeg214

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2010
Mac won't boot up / DVD won't eject

Hi everyone...

My iMac will not boot to the system drive OR the DVD (snow leopard retail) -- the disk spins up and then goes the Apple logo and stops. Whats going on?

A bit of a background -- I was using visualhub to convert all of my MKV's to MP4's using two external drives -- apparently it was throwing tmp files on my system drive for fun. And it ate up ALL of my HDD space. It said I had 0K free. An error popped up about my startup disk and some tmp files and told me to repair the disk using the Mac OSX disk. Which I tried to do... But now it won't boot to the system disk OR the DVD.

Please help!

Thanks guys -- I appreciate it.

I've just spent 3 days trying to figure this one out. None of the keyboard commands worked for me... Today, I folded a piece of cardboard in half and shoved it in the disc slot in order to jam it (so it couldn't turn). Since it was trying to start-up from the DVD and couldn't, eventually, it just ejected it and booted from the HD...

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
fdfdas

I read somewhre that it will not boot from a flash drive with an os imaged unless it is the current version. My imac wont boot from a flash disk either

joeg214

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2010
So, you put cardboard in your Mac and it works now? interesting. :eek:

Yes, I know it sounds strange... however, I could not boot from my HD no matter what I did. Couldn't eject the DVD; tried everything. Slipping a piece of folded cardboard into the DVD drive stopped the DVD from spinning. Since there wasn't a DVD to boot from, it booted from the HD and ejected the DVD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.