Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cleric

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

So this is the rumored specs. I thought no nvidia chipsets with core I-series. So would this mean gt330m or are we getting boned with igp?

cleric

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Looks like TDP on GT320M is 14w 2w higher than 9400m

aberrero

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2010
The MBA CPU is custom made by Intel. Maybe they made another custom chip for them that can work with nvidia. Unlikely, but possible.

member1

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2006
So how awesome would it be if they got early access to ULV Sandy Bridge?

Well, that would be awesome, but highly unlikely! Sandy Bridge is rolling out early next year in general, but the ULVs I don't think are due till the summer from intel. Someone correct me if I have this wrong.

My feeling is that if the 320M is on board, we're looking at Core 2 Duos again... but I'd like to be proven wrong and see some core i lovin'

aberrero

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2010
I don't mind a Core 2 Duo, if it is cheap.

But ASUS makes a $733 laptop with a blazing 2.53ghz Core i3 that is similar weight and battery life to the MBA. Apple really needs to either bring the performance up or the price down.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
I don't mind a Core 2 Duo, if it is cheap.

But ASUS makes a $733 laptop with a blazing 2.53ghz Core i3 that is similar weight and battery life to the MBA. Apple really needs to either bring the performance up or the price down.

Aren't we all actually hoping they'll do both?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland

We know that Sandy Bridge is basically finished, they are leaked all over the place. It is a possibility.

Getting early access to a whole new microarchitecture is different from getting access to new packaging technology. In fact, Apple has never got early access to brand new microarchitecture. There is still 2.5 months till SB is released, that's too long for early access.

Of course Apple could announce MBA tomorrow and say that it will ship in early 2011

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2006
Getting early access to a whole new microarchitecture is different from getting access to new packaging technology. In fact, Apple has never got early access to brand new microarchitecture. There is still 2.5 months till SB is released, that's too long for early access.

Of course Apple could announce MBA tomorrow and say that it will ship in early 2011

Oh crap, I think this is just what will happen.

incoherent1

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2007
Sandy Bridge is rolling out early next year in general, but the ULVs I don't think are due till the summer from intel. Someone correct me if I have this wrong.

I've been trying to find information on this everywhere, so thanks for mentioning it. Does anyone know if that's true? I know these processors listed here are due early 2011, but I don't have the foggiest clue if any of those are ULV or not. Can anyone shed light?

This is an important point (at least for me) because if we get a non-SB MBA tomorrow, then it's helpful to know whether Sandy Bridge ULV's are 1-2 months away or 6-8 months away to figure out whether to buy now.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I've been trying to find information on this everywhere, so thanks for mentioning it. Does anyone know if that's true? I know these processors listed here are due early 2011, but I don't have the foggiest clue if any of those are ULV or not. Can anyone shed light?

This is an important point (at least for me) because if we get a non-SB MBA tomorrow, then it's helpful to know whether Sandy Bridge ULV's are 1-2 months away or 6-8 months away to figure out whether to buy now.

I've heard zero info about ULV chips. On the other hand, there is no mention of mobile i3s either but I would be surprised if Intel didn't release i3s at the same time.

With Arrandale, all parts came at the same time. I can't see why would it be different so I'm thinking we'll see ULV chips between January 6th and 9th.

incoherent1

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2007
I've heard zero info about ULV chips. On the other hand, there is no mention of mobile i3s either but I would be surprised if Intel didn't release i3s at the same time.

With Arrandale, all parts came at the same time. I can't see why would it be different so I'm thinking we'll see ULV chips between January 6th and 9th.

Very helpful and thanks for clarifying!

That makes tomorrow's event all the more interesting. I feel like it'd almost be silly to stage a big event for an update that will be out of date in 2 months (then again, it'd also be silly to not update a laptop for over a year...), but maybe they'll lower the profile by doing a silent update and focusing on 10.7 only. Or pre-announce SB laptops in hopes of getting pre-orders as XMas gifts.

Who knows -- I guess we'll see tomorrow, but if the time horizon for SB ULV's is early January and we don't get a peak of that tomorrow, I think [even people like me who have been waiting 8 months to buy a MBA] will wait 2 months for even the *chance* of getting a much better micro-architecture.

fyrefly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2004
Has Apple ever pre-announced a spec-bump by a few *months* in the Mac Lineup? I know they did it for iPhone and iPad... but for a Laptop revision? I've never seen that. They announced the Intel transition - but that was an entire architecture switch, not just a model upgrade.

My money is on a c2d+320M upgrade tomorrow with more RAM, smaller prices, and new enclosure.

Then in the annual June Portable refresh, hopefully we'll finally get some iX lovin for the MacBook Air.

jacksonkeller

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2009

We know that Sandy Bridge is basically finished, they are leaked all over the place. It is a possibility.

Too bad there isn't someone on this site that works in one of Intels wafer fabs. They could tell us when the next generation of chips went into mass production.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD

Apple got early access to some Montevina chips for the iMac a couple of years ago. Not a new microarchitecture, but it is an example of early access to something other than a packaging technology.

emvy

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2010
The educated guess is that tomorrow they will announce the 11.6" form and advertise it as "Netbook size but Air performance". Should have same specs with current Air. So it won't be an underpowered netbook.

The 13.3 model will be announced tomorrow but with a release for a later date (plus the usual Apple delays!) with enhanced specs, i5 processor etc. I expect this model to also have a USB 3.0. However the smaller brother will most likely have a mere USB 2.0.

johnnymg

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008

That is an evil thing to suggest. Investors would be storming the castle with torches and pitch forks.

JohnG

johnnymg

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
The educated guess is that tomorrow they will announce the 11.6" form and advertise it as "Netbook size but Air performance". Should have same specs with current Air. So it won't be an underpowered netbook.

The 13.3 model will be announced tomorrow but with a release for a later date (plus the usual Apple delays!) with enhanced specs, i5 processor etc. I expect this model to also have a USB 3.0. However the smaller brother will most likely have a mere USB 2.0.

SJ would not use "netbook" in any reference to his products. Just won't happen!

cheers
JohnG

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Apple got early access to some Montevina chips for the iMac a couple of years ago. Not a new microarchitecture, but it is an example of early access to something other than a packaging technology.

Hmmm, looks like they really did. Didn't know that, thanks for the correction!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.