Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lz0

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2002
Melbourne
Recently I've seen some good deals on internal Sony DVD+/-R, 8.5G burners. I like the idea of 8.5GB and a faster burner but is my Quicksilver going to be OK with this? Can the Finder burn to this drive? or will I have to use Toast?

Any one with any experience in this I'd love to hear from you.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Lz0 said:
Recently I've seen some good deals on internal Sony DVD+/-R, 8.5G burners. I like the idea of 8.5GB and a faster burner but is my Quicksilver going to be OK with this? Can the Finder burn to this drive? or will I have to use Toast?

Any one with any experience in this I'd love to hear from you.

No first hand experience here, but I wanted to pointout a couple of things... first in the article linked a few days ago about the PMs having dual layer burners that are firmware crippled, they were able to burn to them after updatign the firmware... no idea what sofware was used, tho. I know that wasn't very helpful, but you could chech that article, it's fairly recent.

What I really wanted to say was that if you have a Superdrive (or someother form of DVD-RW) right now, it may be worth waiting awhile on upgrading. While the dual layer drives are getting cheaper and cheaper, the dual layer media is still very expnsive, like $6-10 a disc! IMO, they're not really worth it yet... however, if you don't have a DVD-RW drive yet, getting a dual layer writer is a good idea... you can use 4.7gb DVD-R discs still, until the price of the 8.5gb media falls.

Rob

Mertzen

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2004
]KLGA[
You'll need to:

- Use patchburn [ http://www.patchburn.de ] to get Finder level and iApps support .. but this will not enable dual layer burning

- Get toast to be able to burn on both layers

- Shell out a lot of money for dual layer burners

Dual layer support will most certainly come with 10.4 tough ..

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Mertzen said:
You'll need to:

- Use patchburn [ http://www.patchburn.de ] to get Finder level and iApps support .. but this will not enable dual layer burning

- Get toast to be able to burn on both layers

- Shell out a lot of money for dual layer burners

Dual layer support will most certainly come with 10.4 tough ..

I bet dual layer support will come with iLife '05... dual layer burners are pretty cheap, it's the discs that will kill ya'!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.