PDA

View Full Version : Best sequencer software for extreme newb?

jedsavage
Oct 18, 2010, 08:04 PM
Hi guys! Here's my background: I can play piano, fairly well by ear. I can't read music, and I have no clue as to what most electronic keyboard/seq terms mean beyond the very basics, though I do not have any problem looking up terms when I need them.

I've played around on a friend's 15 year old Roland keyboard which has a built in sequencer, poking around for a few hours I've been able to create some basic songs without know much of anything about the machine. Now I'm itching to have something myself to create songs. I've been looking at the korg m50, but I'm weary of getting in over my head. I'm wondering if I might be better off getting a software package for my iMac and using the synth I currently own, which is nothing special (cheap $200 machine) but does have midi ports. I'm looking for something that will be good for an extreme newby as myself - easy to learn, not overly complicated, etc. I'm really just looking to compose songs, but am open to having something I can grow with - so long as I can get into the basic sequencing fairly easily. I've looked at a lot of the popular softwares out there, but really have no idea what to look for, what's too over kill, etc. I would appreciate any input that you guys could give me.