PDA

View Full Version : Burning PC-compatible CDs

CaNMaC
Jan 4, 2005, 11:32 AM
Greetings for the New Year!

Down to business... As a recent switcher, I work between my 12" PB and a PC. Today I discovered that the CD I burned on the Mac was not receognized by the PC (this is the first time I'm transferring files this way). It's a multisession CD that I burned, which has .jpg and .pdf files. Is there something I have to do when I burn the CD to make sure it is PC compatible, or is this not a normal occurrence? Thanks very much for your help!

dsharits
Jan 4, 2005, 11:54 AM
I use Toast Titanium, because it has a choice to burn a Mac-Only CD or a Mac-PC CD. If you have access to Toast, I highly recommend it, because I find it much better than burning with the Finder.

Daniel

aricher
Jan 4, 2005, 12:07 PM
Ditto on the Toast tip - works every time for me - not sure even how to do a PC/Mac disk from the desktop as I use Toast every time.

Norouzi
Jan 4, 2005, 12:38 PM
Disks made using the Finder are suposed to be hybrid disks that can be read by Macs or PC's. I've never had a problem reading the disks I burn from the Finder on a PC. I do prefer to use toast though as it does give me more options so I'd use it if it's available.

MisterMe
Jan 4, 2005, 12:55 PM
Greetings for the New Year!

Down to business... As a recent switcher, I work between my 12" PB and a PC. Today I discovered that the CD I burned on the Mac was not receognized by the PC (this is the first time I'm transferring files this way). It's a multisession CD that I burned, which has .jpg and .pdf files. Is there something I have to do when I burn the CD to make sure it is PC compatible, or is this not a normal occurrence? Thanks very much for your help!Norouzi is correct. CDs burned using the Finder are cross-platform by default.

jeremy.king
Jan 4, 2005, 01:07 PM
Multisession CDs burned in OS X default to HFS+ (not readable by PCs without software) - since ISO doesn't support multisession.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=160588

Try using a plain ol CD-R/RW and don't "leave the disc appendable."

CaNMaC
Jan 5, 2005, 02:40 PM
Thanks for your responses. I tested a single session CD burned on the Mac in a PC and it was read correctly. So, the conclusion is, as some have mentioned, that single session CDs burned in OS X are compatible with PCs, but multisession CDs are not. Thanks, again.

OSX Panther
Jan 6, 2005, 08:01 AM
Multisession CDs burned in OS X default to HFS+ (not readable by PCs without software) - since ISO doesn't support multisession.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=160588

Try using a plain ol CD-R/RW and don't "leave the disc appendable."

MAN! Think if iTunes could do that!