Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

150908-ios.jpg

With less than 24 hours from Apple's Back to the Mac media event, a few more claims have been trickling in. MacStories claims to have information about some subtle interface changes to Apple's next version of Mac OS X. According to the site, iOS's influence will be apparent in 10.7's window scroll bars:
The first big news is iOS scroll bars and scrolling behavior are coming to OS X. That means you'll have to say goodbye to the current Aqua scroll bars and get ready for a more minimal look. Also, the "rubber band" elastic scrolling iOS is famous for is making its first appearance on the desktop, and we're told it "works really well and feels natural". Basically, it works like the current inertial scrolling, but when you hit the top or bottom of a scroll view it "rubber bands" down like iOS devices do.
The site also reports a new Quick Look interface.

MacStories has not been a regular source of Apple-related rumors, so we can't comment on their reliability. Mac OS X visual changes have always been a big topic of discussion and speculation over the years.

Apple's media event kicks off at 10am Pacific on Wednesday, October 20th. We'll provide live Twitter coverage at @MacRumorsLive and stories at @MacRumors. And, of course, continuing coverage on MacRumors.com.

Article Link: Mac OS X 10.7 to Get iOS Scrollbars?

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
This is the beginning of the end folks. The iOS interface appears dated and this is actually a step backwards.

kingsal

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2010
I wonder if the scroll bar will disappear when you don't need it like it does in iOS when you touch to scroll. Very cool.

TheE3Guy

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2010
Any UI changes should be purely optional. Also, OSX already has inertial scrolling...so how is this any different?

JS77

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2008
I hope this isn't the "revolutionary" new feature that's being touted in 10.7... :eek:

karsten

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I was thinking how I liked those translucent bars a minute ago :)

morespce54

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2004
Around the World
Well except for the rubber-band effect, I don't see it a killer features yet... Even that feature is not really exciting. The magic mouse and the glass track pad scrolling, now that was a Wow factor (even if it had nothing to do with the OS...)

But then, nothing changed that much in the UI since tiger/leopard/sl so anything new is good...

jackeill

macrumors member
May 2, 2010
Yeah, and now scrolling thru my 12 years old inbox would take forever, instead of just pointing the place on the scrollbar where I would like to go.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
As far as I can tell, the iOS "Scroll Bar" doesn't scroll at all -- it's just an indicator and you can't select it. You scroll by dragging the page up and down. So how do you quickly move to page 200 of a 400 page document? Easy to do with a real scroll bar. Of course with scrolling on a trackpad or mouse the need for a scrollbar is reduced to only the quick, course positioning.

ModestForumName

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2010
Yeah, and now scrolling thru my 12 years old inbox would take forever, instead of just pointing the place on the scrollbar where I would like to go.

I'm sure the bar will apear when you move a cursor over it. Come on now, they're smarter than that.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC

I'm sure the scroll bar would appear if you hovered your mouse over the right side of the screen. I don't think they'd do away with functionality like that.

EDIT: ModestForumName beat Slow Typing Me to the punch.

Juo100

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2007
Does anyone know if there will be a live video stream of the event this time? Im having a few friends over for the event, I assumed there would be a live stream but .... will there actually be one?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.