PDA

View Full Version : iweb to a CD?

tdmac
Oct 19, 2010, 02:18 PM
My wife created a slideshow for my father-in-law's birthday. He asked if he could get a copy of it on CD. Ugh...

I tried doing the save to folder in iweb and then burning this to a CD. I then tried it via the IE browser on my winxp machine, since I know they all have PC's and no go.

Is there a way to do this?

CANEHDN
Oct 19, 2010, 08:39 PM
As long as you have all the media and the entire site saved to a folder, you shouldn't have any issues, since there are is no server files like .php. How did you view the site? Did you publish it to your MobileMe acct?

angelwatt
Oct 19, 2010, 08:54 PM
After publishing it to a folder, did you try to view it locally on your Mac? For iWeb created sites, it should generally use relative path names, which is good, but there might be instances that absolute paths were used. iWeb sites also make use of JavaScript. Sometimes IE will block certain JavaScript files from running when viewing locally. Generally it will display a yellow banner at the top of the browser saying it is doing so though.

When trying to view from IE, are there any error messages? If you view the source from IE (under the View menu I believe), does it show the HTML for your page?

tdmac
Oct 20, 2010, 06:47 AM
1st let me say I am an iweb novice.

The site was first created and published to mobile me.

I then went in and changed it from publish to mobile me to:
Publishing= Local folder
Site Name = 70th Birthday
Folder Location = /users/my username/birthday
Website URL = I have tried multiple things.

I can view this just fine on the Mac. But then again, that is where the site was created in the first place so I figured it would work fine. So I burned the above folder to a CD and tried opening it in Win XP on VMware. I can open the web page but get no text that was types. There are links for things like the slideshow etc but no photo's or text or links are dead.

I am wondering if the "WEBSITE URL" option is the issue or if I need to maybe edit the html file. I imagine this field directs to where the site/files are located. I figured I couldn't put something like "D://birthday" since it may not be the users D drive. Or am I over thinking this?

angelwatt
Oct 20, 2010, 08:49 AM
I definitely wouldn't put something like D:\ because that's not the CD drive for every Windows user. The web site url may be a fix. I would have to play around with it and I'm not at my Mac to try right now.

ChicoWeb
Oct 20, 2010, 09:51 AM
What if you used a site ripper to rip it from your domain? That way it will make everything nice easy HTML and Images

SrWebDeveloper
Oct 21, 2010, 08:47 AM
Just wanted to throw in the possibility some people really want a DVD slideshow when they say "make a CD for me". Meaning, so they can insert the DVD-R or DVD-RW disk into their DVD or BlueRay player and a slideshow automatically starts up. They won't need a computer.

If so, the discussion thus far seems to be about getting the image files from the web site, assuming they don't have local copies of the images or can access the iWeb folder containing said images. The final step is iMovie or any freeware DVD slideshow creator for Mac (many to choose from (http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&=&q=dvd+slideshow+creator&aq=f&aqi=g6g-m4&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=CBwKRoEPATPvNCqK0gAT018XiBwAAAKoEBU_QZ-Ef#sclient=psy&num=10&hl=en&newwindow=1&safe=off&q=free+mac+slideshow+creator&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=35f052eb298742af)), it'll import the images, you configure a skin, options (time duration per frame), captions, etc. Burn it, distribute it, play it.

-jim

tdmac
Oct 21, 2010, 09:09 AM
Just wanted to throw in the possibility some people really want a DVD slideshow when they say "make a CD for me". Meaning, so they can insert the DVD-R or DVD-RW disk into their DVD or BlueRay player and a slideshow automatically starts up. They won't need a computer.

If so, the discussion thus far seems to be about getting the image files from the web site, assuming they don't have local copies of the images or can access the iWeb folder containing said images. The final step is iMovie or any freeware DVD slideshow creator for Mac (many to choose from (http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&=&q=dvd+slideshow+creator&aq=f&aqi=g6g-m4&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=CBwKRoEPATPvNCqK0gAT018XiBwAAAKoEBU_QZ-Ef#sclient=psy&num=10&hl=en&newwindow=1&safe=off&q=free+mac+slideshow+creator&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=35f052eb298742af)), it'll import the images, you configure a skin, options (time duration per frame), captions, etc. Burn it, distribute it, play it.

-jim

I was thinking this route at first. Yes I have all of the pics, both in Aperture and now iWeb. However, the issue is that the pics had captions. Plus the wording that was on the home page. In order to re-create I would have to re-create the entire slideshow, which was just photo's and text, in Aperture, Imovie, etc. and could burn to a DVD. This is how I have done my slideshows in the past. My wife woke up early the following morning and put together the iWeb photo's/slideshow on her own before I even woke up. She wanted to add it as one last surprise for the family that was present as well as for other who were unable to attend. So she thought iWeb was the quickest way, since she has done that for posting photo's of previous trips, events, etc. So..... I figured if I could through this on a CD and just view it through the computer browser then those that want to have it as a keepsake would have a hard copy of it, without me needing to go and recreate it in another format. Given the amount of time I have spent trying to get the save to folder thing to work, I probably could have recreated it ;). I am still curious if this can be done though. I did try a couple of site rippers but no go. I still get what I do under the iWeb Export. The text on the home page. Links that go nowhere and no visible photo's or captions.