PDA

View Full Version : Evernote on iPad Wi-Fi

Willie5566
Oct 19, 2010, 02:31 PM
I have a wi-fi iPad and I am considering using evernote. I like how everything is accessible online from any computer. I am concerned about using it in a non-wifi area. Will it hold my notes until I am back in a wi-fi zone or will I get an error message/app will not work without internet connectivity? Thanks.

Mawal
Oct 19, 2010, 02:41 PM
depends...premium users can save their notes on the ipad, so they are available offline...

kingalien
Oct 19, 2010, 03:22 PM
I have the freebie version and all notes are saved until you have wifi or 3G available and the app syncs.

rhett7660
Oct 19, 2010, 03:42 PM
I have the freebie version and all notes are saved until you have wifi or 3G available and the app syncs.

This...

I love evernote. One of the programs I use all day long. On my Mac, iPhone and iPad. Love this program!

JulianL
Oct 19, 2010, 05:00 PM
By all means check this on the forum at evernote.com but I believe that the above might be correct but it doesn't tell the whole story so be careful.

My understanding of the way it works (and I am an Evernote user) is that for the premium (fee paying) version then it is possible to define any notebook as being available offline and for all notebooks that have been marked as such then the entire contents of the notebook, i.e. every note in the notebook, is downloaded to the device and so any note can be accessed and read at any time, even if disconnected from the network.

The free version of Evernote does not have the ability to specify that a notebook be available offline so what will happen there, if you are disconnected from the WiFi connection, is that if you create a new note then yes, it will be stored on the device and synced with the server when a network is available. If you want to access an existing note then, if you previously accessed it from that device (while connected to the network obviously), then the contents of that note will probably still be available from the device cache and so you will be able to access it. If you want to access a note that you have never accessed on that device before then Evernote (free version) will need to acess the server to retrieve the contents and so you won't be able to view it until you have a network connection.

So the bottom line is that if you sign up for the paid premium version then you will definitely get full offline capability but if you want to keep it free then you might have issues.

- Julian

Mawal
Oct 20, 2010, 02:37 AM
Julian is right on target, here.

To have full offline access to all of your notes, you need to be a premium user, i.e. paying an annual fee.

That said, I signed for the premium service and I'm very happy with it.

There exists a front end for the Mac as well as for Windows, which makes evernote much more valuable to me.

I also like having an evernote email adress. So every email I consider to be a keeper, I'll simply forward them to evernote. In evernote I add the appropiate tags, so I'll find it easily when I need to access it.

To me evernote is really one of the greatest cloud services out there.

Jaro65
Oct 20, 2010, 09:24 AM
Julian is right on target, here.

To have full offline access to all of your notes, you need to be a premium user, i.e. paying an annual fee.

That said, I signed for the premium service and I'm very happy with it.

There exists a front end for the Mac as well as for Windows, which makes evernote much more valuable to me.

I also like having an evernote email adress. So every email I consider to be a keeper, I'll simply forward them to evernote. In evernote I add the appropiate tags, so I'll find it easily when I need to access it.

To me evernote is really one of the greatest cloud services out there.

I agree with your assessment. I have Evernote on all my devices (MBP, iPad, and iPhone) and consider it one of the key apps I use. What I would really like to see is the ability to edit rich text on my iPad, and the support for handwriting. Apparently Evernote is working on that....