Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ytty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2010
Originally burned several resistors beyond repair on an Onyx VGA upgraded with 667 Mhz. Replaced with a used 550 Mhz logic board from reputable dealer, upon startup received 3 beep RAM failure. I swapped memory sticks with two brand new, still 3-beep RAM failure. Attempted second logic board swap with a second 667 Mhz board I purchased, still 3-beep RAM failure, all combinations of RAM sticks in all positions--I've read most posts on the subject. I do get one beep with no sticks.

These boards were certified tested, two bad apples seems indicative of a deeper problem, any suggestions?

raysfan81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2009
What is an onyx? Do you mean the Graphite iMac G3 or the iBook G3 by any chance? Or do you mean the early(er) Powermac G4 towers?

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
What is an onyx? Do you mean the Graphite iMac G3 or the iBook G3 by any chance? Or do you mean the early(er) Powermac G4 towers?
Its the code name for the 2nd generation of Titanium Powerbook G4. Its the 550-667MHz model that still had VGA instead of DVI video out.

ytty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8B117)

Yes, it's a PowerBook G4.

ytty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2010
If else, could someone direct me to a more technically oriented forum? Thanks!

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
If else, could someone direct me to a more technically oriented forum? Thanks!
Honestly, I looked over the service manuals for that TiBook and I can't find anything that would be helpful. If you've already replaced the logicboard and RAM you just need to replace the computer. You can get those old TiBooks for around $35 these days.

ytty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2010
Honestly, I looked over the service manuals for that TiBook and I can't find anything that would be helpful. If you've already replaced the logicboard and RAM you just need to replace the computer. You can get those old TiBooks for around $35 these days.

Thanks for the effort bud.... $35....what??? I paid more than that for the logic board!

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
thats normal the parts are much more expensive even used, compare to a used PowerBook , but that is still the case , if you would have to buy all parts to build a 27inch iMac today you would pay easy double what a complete one cost at the apple store
and even if you bought the logicboards "new" they had been sitting in some shelf since nearly 10 years already which doesn't make parts better

but its good to see someone who loves his powerbook so much that he doesn't throw it away on ebay for parts ,only because parts are more expensive then the whole powerbook , gives a bit of hope that not everyone see the old Mac's as things only good for a museum today

ytty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2010
but its good to see someone who loves his powerbook so much that he doesn't throw it away on ebay for parts ,only because parts are more expensive then the whole powerbook , gives a bit of hope that not everyone see the old Mac's as things only good for a museum today

with numbers to crunch, every terminal helps :)

You know, as recently as 2 years ago I used this Powerbook for a live DJ gig with Serato when my MBP was down....underpowered but STILL more stable than a PC at the time

Mactrillionaire

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2010
Try booting one time with all RAM removed. After powering off, reinstall the RAM to its correct position. I know it sounds counterintuitive, but it does sometimes work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.