Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 21, 2004
Hi all,
Pardon a perhaps misplaced, newbie question, but are there avatar policies in MacRumors (like a required minimum of posts to be able to, etc.)? I can't seem to be able to modify my avatar setting from anything other than "do not use". Thanks.
X

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
In all fairness, the restriction (you need 500 posts or more) should be mentioned somewhere in the area around the avatar setup, since so many new users have problems with it. It's not remotely intuitive, and I don't think we should expect everyone who joins to read a FAQ about everything on the site before they go exploring their account options.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
jsw said:
In all fairness, the restriction (you need 500 posts or more) should be mentioned somewhere in the area around the avatar setup, since so many new users have problems with it. It's not remotely intuitive, and I don't think we should expect everyone who joins to read a FAQ about everything on the site before they go exploring their account options.
Are you going soft? :D :p

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
edesignuk said:
Are you going soft? :D :p
Senility is always a possibility. :(

Of course many companies make loads of money doing stuff for people when they are too ********* to read the manual or the Help screens.

Hey, if they're *********s lets charge them $100 per hour, or a $1000 per incident.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
jsw said:
No, just busting on Sun Baked. :)
attachment.php

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 21, 2004
Thanks, JSW.
I did make my way finally into the FAQ to confirm your kind and helpful reply. I also read on to make note of another important bit of info: "Becoming a moderator for a specific forum is usually rewarded to users who are particularly helpful and knowledgeable in the subject of the forum they are moderating." Nice to have a friendly welcome. Obviously, there are others who post in here who apparently have neither the same aspirations, agenda nor people skills. Not to worry. I don't get mad....just even.
X

jsw said:
;)

Mertzen

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2004
]KLGA[
jsw said:
In all fairness, the restriction (you need 500 posts or more) should be mentioned somewhere in the area around the avatar setup,

I am not sure why other see this as foolish ,, this would prevent a lot of trouble ..

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Why do I get the feeling that this won't be the last time someone asks about why they can't get their avatar to work. :rolleyes:

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
People who ask for help rudely, or ask for help then don't say "Thank You" tend to piss me off rather quickly. People who are nice and say "Please" and "Thank You" are more than welcome here. The more the merrier.

Welcome to the forums, xsedrinam

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Since this topic comes up so often, what seems to be daily, :rolleyes: It should be clearly posted in bold letters as soon as a newbie registers that it takes 500 posts to receive an avatar, that way they wont have any excuses to ask. Just a suggestion.

And for the record this should be posted under site comments. ;)
edit:nevermind :)

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Rower_CPU said:
It has been for the last 11 minutes. :p

[edit - I see your "nevermind" and raise you an "aha!" :D]

I never refreshed, I raise your aha with a Do'h and call. :cool:

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Perhaps, there should be a week-long training period for newbies where they can't post and are repeatedly directed toward sticky threads. ;)

mms

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2003
CA
bousozoku said:
Perhaps, there should be a week-long training period for newbies where they can't post and are repeatedly directed toward sticky threads. ;)
That would be awesome. Just cram that whole courtesy/site rules thing into their head constantly. Actually, it should happen as long as they are newbies. Once they post enough quality posts to move up in rank we can assume they've had enough and they would've learned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.