PDA

View Full Version : Wireless issue with Powermac G5

sysiphus
Oct 20, 2010, 01:35 AM
I've got an interesting issue:

My Powermac G5 (1.6GHz) has Airport Extreme and Bluetooth pre-installed. Both external antennae are plugged in. The computer connects to an Airport Extreme (ABGN) router roughly 50ft away, with full signal strength. Today, I swapped out my stock Radeon 9600 Pro for a Radeon 9800 Pro pulled from a Dual 2GHz G5 (OEM 9800 Pro, not the retail model or the OEM 9800XT). Everything worked fine when booted with the "new" card, but the Wi-Fi. When installed, my wireless would show the network available, but time out every time I tried to connect. Swapping the original card back in fixed the problem ASAP. I'd like to be able to use the 9800--any ideas on how to fix this odd issue?

raysfan81
Oct 20, 2010, 08:48 PM
I've got an interesting issue:

My Powermac G5 (1.6GHz) has Airport Extreme and Bluetooth pre-installed. Both external antennae are plugged in. The computer connects to an Airport Extreme (ABGN) router roughly 50ft away, with full signal strength. Today, I swapped out my stock Radeon 9600 Pro for a Radeon 9800 Pro pulled from a Dual 2GHz G5 (OEM 9800 Pro, not the retail model or the OEM 9800XT). Everything worked fine when booted with the "new" card, but the Wi-Fi. When installed, my wireless would show the network available, but time out every time I tried to connect. Swapping the original card back in fixed the problem ASAP. I'd like to be able to use the 9800--any ideas on how to fix this odd issue?

That is quite odd. So you haven't had any trouble with it prior to it not connecting?

sysiphus
Oct 20, 2010, 10:58 PM
That is quite odd. So you haven't had any trouble with it prior to it not connecting?

Yup. Interesting fact, though--I tried it again today, but also installed a PCI USB card--and no problems now. Weird stuff, but now it works, so I'm not going to mess with it :D