PDA

View Full Version : iLife '11, MacBook Air and Possible New Product Revealed by Apple

MacRumors
Oct 20, 2010, 05:10 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/10/20/ilife-11-macbook-air-and-possible-new-product-revealed-by-apple/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2010/10/20/060816-reserved.jpg

Some clever exploring (http://translate.google.pl/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=pl&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=pl&tl=en&u=http://www.spidersweb.pl/2010/10/back-to-the-mac-wiemy-co-bedzie-apple-nam-powiedzial.html) of Apple's discussion forum has revealed several new products that are believed to be part of today's announcements.

Category 277 (http://discussions.apple.com/category.jspa?categoryID=277) - Reserved 10 20
Category 278 (http://discussions.apple.com/category.jspa?categoryID=278") - iMovie '11
Category 279 (http://discussions.apple.com/category.jspa?categoryID=279) - GarageBand '11
Category 280 (http://discussions.apple.com/category.jspa?categoryID=280) - iPhoto '11
Category 281 (http://discussions.apple.com/category.jspa?categoryID=281) - MBA (Need official name)

iLife '11 was revealed as well as one simply "Reserved 10 20" which could represent a new iLife application. The MacBook Air appears to have also gotten a new category for unclear reasons. A MacBook Air category already exists.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2010/10/20/060816-mba.jpg

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2010/10/20/060816-iphoto11.jpg

Article Link: iLife '11, MacBook Air and Possible New Product Revealed by Apple (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/10/20/ilife-11-macbook-air-and-possible-new-product-revealed-by-apple/)

MartiNZ
Oct 20, 2010, 05:14 AM
Totally hmmm. So sad I'll be sleeping through all the excitement, although technically it has all already happened ... damn timezones.

mackiwiuk
Oct 20, 2010, 05:15 AM
What about iWeb?

mward333
Oct 20, 2010, 05:16 AM
Sneaky! This is very sneaky! Wow, good discovery. Very cool.

AdeFowler
Which implies that this stuff will be available today. Nice ;)

talkingfuture
Cool, should be playing with a new version of iPhoto at least in a few days then!

gigapocket1
Oct 20, 2010, 05:18 AM
I wonder heat they new application will b... And I also hope that iPhoto loads faster..

moel
Oct 20, 2010, 05:19 AM
Please PLEASE PLEASE FCP 64 bit FCP.

arctic
Oct 20, 2010, 05:20 AM
Need Official Name? What? Why? Is the Air gonna evolve into something else? Hmmmmm

zedsdead

Rumors suggest a release next year. I also cannot wait for that...especially if it finally uses more than one core (which is pathetic at this point).

netdog
Maybe iWeb is being rebranded as something new?

Maybe it will do much more than it used to?

rkmac
Oct 20, 2010, 05:21 AM
Someone may find themselves out of a job come tomorrow :eek:
Sadly, nothing really new. I wanted to be surprised tomorrow... seems its all waht everyone was expecting... new iLife and MBA and 10.7
Oh well, I'll still be getting up at 6am for the liveblog :D

Digitalclips
Oct 20, 2010, 05:23 AM
What about iWeb?

Yeas scary by its absence ... or is it because the mystery app is a new amazing iWeb? Fingers crossed!

tom.bcn
Very nice sneaking. Well done!

flottenheimer
Really looking forward to this event.
OS X 10.7 - man, have I been waiting for you.

Eastend
Oct 20, 2010, 05:24 AM
This is interesting, I purchased a new Mac Pro on the 13th it was delivered on the 15th, am I eligible for a free iLife, if it comes out tomorrow?;)

headfuzz
Oct 20, 2010, 05:25 AM
Heh, well spotted :)

levitynyc
Oct 20, 2010, 05:27 AM
This is interesting, I purchased a new Mac Pro on the 13th it was delivered on the 15th, am I eligible for a free iLife, if it comes out tomorrow?;)

If history is any indication, then yes.

oscarmacca
Oct 20, 2010, 05:32 AM
I wonder if this is all about 'Lion' and the NC data farm in some way?

Lesser Evets
Oct 20, 2010, 05:32 AM
Need Official Name? What? Why? Is the Air gonna evolve into something else? Hmmmmm

Yeah, that caught me immediately as well--NEED OFFICIAL NAME.

What will it become?

SockRolid
Oct 20, 2010, 05:34 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if the MacBook Air stayed at 13.3" and got even lighter and thinner than the current model. It really needs a refresh. But the one Apple computing product that desperately needs a total redesign is the white plastic MacBook.

And I think it's time to expand the consumer MacBook beyond just one model. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple announces a refreshed 13.3" consumer MacBook, with an aluminum unibody and no optical drive. And also an 11.6" unibody consumer MacBook that could either be called MacBook or MacBook Mini.

The consumer MacBook line could be differentiated by the lack of an optical drive, fewer firewire / USB ports, no and SSD or "card" NAND mass storage options. They would start at $799 for the 11.6" and the current $999 for the 13.3". The MacBook Pros could continue to have optical drives, firewire 800, and solid state mass storage options.

The MacBook family has been unbalanced for years, with just one consumer model and three Pro models. Time to beef up the consumer branch of the family tree and also to strongly differentiate consumer from Pro.

TreRep
Oct 20, 2010, 05:36 AM

If history is any indication, then NO
last time it was eligible from the monday before the announcement...
so if the story is an indication this time the first date to be eligible would be 18th october ;)

AnonMac50
Oct 20, 2010, 05:39 AM
The iMovie '11 page seems to have gone now (it was there a minute ago).

EDIT: it seems to be there for some people.

EDIT 2: it's working for me again.

dethmaShine
Oct 20, 2010, 05:40 AM
Got it on the 16th.

Am I eligible for a free iLife? :(

Jonny Skyves
Oct 20, 2010, 05:42 AM
The iMovie '11 page seems to have gone now (it was there a minute ago).

EDIT: it seems to be there for some people.

Is just a bad link... [url]http://discussions.apple.com/category.jspa?categoryID=278%22

Remove the last bit,(%22) and it appears again

Corrected: http://discussions.apple.com/category.jspa?categoryID=278

Ap0ks
Yeah, that caught me immediately as well--NEED OFFICIAL NAME.

What will it become?

MacBook Cloud maybe... :p

dethmaShine
My guess:

A foldable MacBookAir (either side fold) which runs both iOS and MacOS depending on what's needed.

benpop
Oct 20, 2010, 05:44 AM
is there gonna be a live video stream again like last time?

My name is Alex
Oct 20, 2010, 05:47 AM
is there gonna be a live video stream again like last time?

Nope, not that we know of. Which is a bit dissapointing because seeing the iPod keynote live was awesome!!

GekkePrutser
Oct 20, 2010, 05:49 AM
Rumors suggest a release next year. I also cannot wait for that...especially if it finally uses more than one core (which is pathetic at this point).

I think when the last release was made, openCL and grand central dispatch weren't available yet. I'd expect them to use these latest Apple technologies so if they do it should support multicore and GPU offloading.

HelveticaNeue
I'm disappointed there isn't a listing for iWork 11. iWork and iLife were updated at the same time for versions 05,06,08 & 09.

ouimetnick
Some one will be fired for this.:eek:

richbass79
Oct 20, 2010, 05:56 AM
I really hope that iPhoto 11 supports a simple way of sharing/synching iPhoto libraries between multiple computers similar to the way Dropbox works.

designgeek
Oct 20, 2010, 05:56 AM
I'm wondering if the mystery app has something to do with the rumors of free mobile me service...

Lesser Evets
Oct 20, 2010, 05:57 AM
MacBook Cloud maybe... :p

Hoping for MacPad Air... or just MacPad.

Only 6 more hours until we find out.
If it is just MacNetBook Air, it will be lame.

SandboxGeneral
Oct 20, 2010, 05:58 AM
I wonder if this is all about 'Lion' and the NC data farm in some way?

I was wondering the same thing myself about the NC data farm...

Jonny Skyves
Was mentioned somewhere just this week that :apple: have got a few more surprises left this year...I think it was in the Conference Call. This 10 20 could be one of them.

Damn, this company is gonna break my bank this year!!!

Tears Apart
My guess:

A foldable MacBookAir (either side fold) which runs both iOS and MacOS depending on what's needed.

Impossible, that would go against Apple's strive for simplicity.

whokilledkaji
I live in Japan and although I'm always tempted to stay up until 2AM, I don't mind waiting until morning... I usually get on the train and flick my iphone on and boom! It's like opening presents on christmas morning! (Except I don't actually get anything!)

Can't wait to see what's new... This forum find strongly suggests that iLife will be out soon and of course we will get a look at Lion, but I'm also hoping for iPad to get it's promised ios update! I want folders bad!

Truffy
Oct 20, 2010, 06:04 AM
Maybe iWeb is being rebranded as something new?

Maybe it will do much more than it used to?
Like semantic, code light sites?

rushmere
Oct 20, 2010, 06:05 AM
Hoping for MacPad Air... or just MacPad.

Only 6 more hours until we find out.
If it is just MacNetBook Air, it will be lame.

I'm hoping for a MacBookiPodPad Air Pro. :D

eyekyu
Oct 20, 2010, 06:06 AM
was looking forward to that rumoured facetime for osx .. hopefully that comes to light

bergmef
Oct 20, 2010, 06:08 AM
iphoto reading my garmin tracklog would be nice

talkingfuture
Oct 20, 2010, 06:18 AM

Perhaps this is a deliberate 'hint' to temper expectations. All too often people expect very unrealistic things from these events so are disappointed after some actually fairly solid product announcements.

arctic
Oct 20, 2010, 06:19 AM
was looking forward to that rumoured facetime for osx .. hopefully that comes to light

I'm pretty sure that will be in Lion.

Ed91
Oct 20, 2010, 06:21 AM
Reserved 10 20?

That would be today, then..

leonstafford
Oct 20, 2010, 06:22 AM
low spec computer, offload processing to the new data centre...

back to dumb-clients... dumb but sexy clients..

Winni
Oct 20, 2010, 06:29 AM

I doubt it. Most of those "discoveries" are part of Apple's marketing strategy anyway: It's cheap and provides A LOT of free media coverage.

BornToMac
Oct 20, 2010, 06:31 AM
My replacement MBP is on order ad I am expecting the call to go and pick it up today. I hope that iLife 11 is "shipping today" so that I can pick it up on the new machine.

Tears Apart
Oct 20, 2010, 06:31 AM
low spec computer, offload processing to the new data centre...

The first cloud-based laptop, and a very sexy at that too.

Fascinating! But isn't Apple supposed to release each revolutionary product every 5 years? ;)

gdkid2010
Oct 20, 2010, 06:33 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8B117)

I bought a new iMac on October 7th.... Hope I'm eligible for a free upgrade to iLife 11. What have been the trends in the past? Apple usually does give out free updates right?

Boghog
Oct 20, 2010, 06:33 AM
Nope, not that we know of. Which is a bit dissapointing because seeing the iPod keynote live was awesome!!
This means that the reason they had a live stream last time was that Steve wanted less wifi clutter. This time he's obviously not going to show off any wireless stuff so they don't bother about the streaming.

maviso5
Oct 20, 2010, 06:34 AM
how about a facetime app as part of this new ilife 11 suite?

Mal
Oct 20, 2010, 06:36 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8B117)

I bought a new iMac on October 7th.... Hope I'm eligible for a free upgrade to iLife 11. What have been the trends in the past? Apple usually does give out free updates right?

Usually updates are given to anyone who buys after a new version is announced, so no. At best, perhaps a couple days grace period sometimes (someone was saying the last time they gave from the Monday before the announcement, though I don't recall that), but if you bought on the 7th, you're not eligible for a free update, not if Apple follows historical precedent.

BTW, you could've found that same answer on the previous page, this isn't a 400 page thread that's hard to look through.

jW

branjosef
Oct 20, 2010, 06:43 AM
I wonder if the new macbook air will be offered as a suppository for easier transport. I can just see Steve pulling it out "One more thing..."

gdkid2010
Oct 20, 2010, 06:43 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Usually updates are given to anyone who buys after a new version is announced, so no. At best, perhaps a couple days grace period sometimes (someone was saying the last time they gave from the Monday before the announcement, though I don't recall that), but if you bought on the 7th, you're not eligible for a free update, not if Apple follows historical precedent.

BTW, you could've found that same answer on the previous page, this isn't a 400 page thread that's hard to look through.

jW

Ummm no I don't see an answer. If I did, I wouldn't have asked...

karolynaz
Oct 20, 2010, 06:44 AM
What about iWork?

RyanR.
Oct 20, 2010, 06:45 AM
I think we are looking at the new macbook:confused: If the price truly drops considerably as suspected (dreamed for?) it would place it at the $999 price point.

Mal
Oct 20, 2010, 06:50 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Ummm no I don't see an answer. If I did, I wouldn't have asked.

Didn't look very hard then. First page, three posts all talking about it:

If history is any indication, then NO
last time it was eligible from the monday before the announcement...
so if the story is an indication this time the first date to be eligible would be 18th october ;)

jW

lewion
Oct 20, 2010, 06:50 AM

Maybe...
MacBook Ground?

Meh.. :/

BornToMac
Oct 20, 2010, 06:52 AM
Being selfish but I am hoping for a minor MBP refresh (like maybe black bezel option available on the HR Anti Glare screen). iLife will be a nice addition as well.

Chupa Chupa
Oct 20, 2010, 06:55 AM

How so? I see nothing that confirms these forums will be open to the public today and even if they are Apple frequently opens forums up when a product is announced but before it actually ships.

All we can really infer is that there will be an iLife '11 and that the MBA is getting a new name -- perhaps new features to match the new name. It's a bridge to far to assume these products will be available today.

In the past only those who bought computers ON or after the announcement date were eligible under the Up-To-Date program. BUT I've also had experiences when you enter in your serial# and purchase date the UTD system lets you order an update copy anyway. So once the UTD site goes live put your serial# in and give it a try. BTW it's usually $10-20, not 100% free.

champ01
Oct 20, 2010, 06:55 AM
No news on iWeb yet hmmm

netdog
Oct 20, 2010, 06:56 AM
Rules or not, he had a point Mal.

daabido
Oct 20, 2010, 06:56 AM
Perhaps this is a deliberate 'hint' to temper expectations. All too often people expect very unrealistic things from these events so are disappointed after some actually fairly solid product announcements.

Agreed. I've been around Apple announcements long enough (like most of you here) to take expectations, halve them and then halve them again and most of the time you'd be right on target.

Sometimes Apple pulls a stunner but most of the time it is exciting but incremental gains. Yes, some of us lived through the PowerPC 100 MHz gain days..

netdog
Oct 20, 2010, 06:59 AM
Let's hope Apple gets it right this time and makes iLife available for purchase via download as they have with iWork in the past.

peterhuisman
Oct 20, 2010, 07:00 AM

My votes go to iAirBook MacPad for the 11" and iAirBook MacPad Pro for the 13"!

spinoza2
Yes, this will definitely be a major transformation of what was iWeb, something that makes use of the new server farm, cloud-based Web-development, with greater tie-ins to social networking and the like. I suspect it will be a full HTML5-compliant Web development environment, complete with an HTML5 video creator. It should also provide integration for iOS devices of some sort, that would be nice. It clearly will no longer be called iWeb, so it must be something very different. I only hope it provides a path for converting existing iWeb sites.

Turambar87
The 'Reserved 10 20' section can be accessed by clicking the 'up one category' link from any of the iLife '11 or the new MBA discussion boards. Clicking that link again in the 'Reserved 10 20' section takes us to a section called 'Reserved' from which we are taken to a section called 'Administration' by clicking the 'up one category' link again. This could possibly indicate that the category hierarchy is as follows "Apple.com > Support > Discussions > Administration > Reserved > Reserved 10 20 > (All the sections indicating the new iLife and MBA)".

gdkid2010
Oct 20, 2010, 07:01 AM

How so? I see nothing that confirms these forums will be open to the public today and even if they are Apple frequently opens forums up when a product is announced but before it actually ships.

All we can really infer is that there will be an iLife '11 and that the MBA is getting a new name -- perhaps new features to match the new name. It's a bridge to far to assume these products will be available today.

In the past only those who bought computers ON or after the announcement date were eligible under the Up-To-Date program. BUT I've also had experiences when you enter in your serial# and purchase date the UTD system lets you order an update copy anyway. So once the UTD site goes live put your serial# in and give it a try. BTW it's usually $10-20, not 100% free.

What serial? My mac's?

(Btw, thank you for the help and being nice about it)

Adidas Addict
Oct 20, 2010, 07:02 AM
My votes go to iAirBook MacPad for the 11" and iAirBook MacPad Pro for the 13"!

Catchy :D not

peterhuisman
Oct 20, 2010, 07:04 AM
Catchy :D not

I agree, it's a bit of a mouthful, but it could work! :P

netdog
Oct 20, 2010, 07:08 AM
Really stick it to all those cr@ppy netbook manufacturers and call it the NetBook.

realitymonkey
Oct 20, 2010, 07:11 AM
Agreed. I've been around Apple announcements long enough (like most of you here) to take expectations, halve them and then halve them again and most of the time you'd be right on target.

So quarter them then.....

Malsi
Oct 20, 2010, 07:14 AM
It would be nice if it was a mac pro mini tower. Sigh.......one can dream :D

paulyras
Oct 20, 2010, 07:19 AM
It would be nice if it was a mac pro mini tower. Sigh.......one can dream :D

Or a cube perhaps? :D

Oct 20, 2010, 07:23 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Category 277 - Reserved 10 20
Look at today's date! ;-)

By the way in Europe today is written as 20.10.2010

sishaw
Oct 20, 2010, 07:26 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I'm not the first to have said this, but I think the new MBA will have an iOS overlay so that it can convert from laptop to an iPad. Or an iPad act-alike.

Play Ultimate
Oct 20, 2010, 07:27 AM

If it comes out tomorrow, usually yes.
If it comes out in Jan, probably not.

MCIowaRulz
Oct 20, 2010, 07:29 AM
Yeas scary by its absence ... or is it because the mystery app is a new amazing iWeb? Fingers crossed!

Maybe Apple acquired RapidWeaver? (Hey they should)

Malsi
Oct 20, 2010, 07:30 AM
Or a cube perhaps? :D

I'm not picky! Just give me a desktop quad core and a ATI 5770 (not mobile) for under 1500 bucks and I'll be first in line!

Vantage Point
Oct 20, 2010, 07:35 AM
I ordered my iMac on the 11th of september. Got it on the 16th.

Am I eligible for a free iLife? :(
Maybe, or at least the next best thing. I believe their policy is is to take care of people for about 30 days so call today or tomorrow - no later, and see if they will grandfather you in. They may sell you a disk for about $5.
If a call doesn't work go to your 'friendly' neighborhood Apple store and try again. Don't wait since you are out of the 30 day grace period. It can't hurt to try

peterhuisman
Oct 20, 2010, 07:37 AM
What about MacBook Helium ?? (Lighter than Air)

For that matter:
MacBook Neon
MacBook Ammonia
MacBook Methane

Thought about MacBook Hot Air (also being lighter than Air), but that doesn't sound right... :p

On-topic:
We keep guessing stuff, but we probably will not guess right. When the iPad was about to be introduced, everybody kept calling it iSlate (which in retrospect was wrong, just one example I recalled). And isn't Apple famous for making stuff with different form factors to diffuse the 'competition' and site's and forums like MacRumors?

I know I will be sitting down with my Mac in front of me following this site! I'm really curious and can't wait until they post the full keynote online. :)

Torrijos
Oct 20, 2010, 07:37 AM
I'm not picky! Just give me a desktop quad core and a ATI 5770 (not mobile) for under 1500 bucks and I'll be first in line!

Yep.

What about iWork??
I really need an updated version, that removes the tons of bugs that were, and maybe optimize the app for GCD (or any other form of multiprocess).

Andy-V
Oct 20, 2010, 07:46 AM
Most looking forward to 10.7 info. I hope the invite wasn't misleading.

Thunderhawks
Oct 20, 2010, 07:48 AM
iwork every day and so do many others:-)

Amazing how many people come here with high (overdrawn) expectations and then say they are disappointed and start criticizing Apple when their expectations are not met.

Kind of spying to know as a kid ahead of time what's under the Christmas tree and then being disappointed when it is what you spied out.

Yet, they know that only Apple gives you both worlds (OSX and PC) does everything to increase user satisfaction and it's never good enough for a few.

How about just leaning back, wait for the announcements and check out the products via reviews and at the stores.

Then buy what you need or works for you.

I do want SJ to ride in on a real lion, now that's a show:-)

kirky29
Oct 20, 2010, 07:51 AM

Haha! That would be a show!

ri0ku
Oct 20, 2010, 07:51 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Yey the iBook is coming back

Thunderhawks
Oct 20, 2010, 07:52 AM
MacBook Neon
MacBook Ammonia
MacBook Methane

Thought about MacBook Hot Air (also being lighter than Air), but that doesn't sound right... :p

Thin Air
AirPad
AirTouch

Mal
Oct 20, 2010, 07:52 AM
Rules or not, he had a point Mal.

Not really. I answered his question, then pointed out it was already answered had he read the thread. I was helpful and tried to push him in the direction of good forum etiquette. I think most of the long-time posters here would agree that it'd be better if people would search or read before posting, but I was also trying not to be rude about it by answering his question anyways. He took it the wrong way, but I really was trying not to be a **** about it.

jW

Chupa Chupa
Oct 20, 2010, 07:57 AM
Most looking forward to 10.7 info. I hope the invite wasn't misleading.

Misleading? The only way the invite could be misleading is if the entire program was about non-Mac products. The invite only said "Back to Mac".

As for the Lion=10.7 that is personal inference. We all assume the lion is a hint on 10.7. However, it could also have some other meaning -- like Safari or unnamed app related to Safari or the web.

Mac21ND
Oct 20, 2010, 07:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhawks

Haha! That would be a show!

By the power of Greyscull...

Dodgeroo
Oct 20, 2010, 08:01 AM
MacBook Neon
MacBook Ammonia
MacBook Methane

Thin Air
AirPad
AirTouch

MacBook Steam. Lighter than Air, packed full of gaming hardware, partnership with Steam to really get mobile Mac gaming kicking.

mrblack927
Oct 20, 2010, 08:06 AM
Agreed that 10.7 updates sound the most interesting of the potential talking points. Even though 10.7 is the only product that won't be available in the near future. Sad... :o

FuNGi
Oct 20, 2010, 08:09 AM

I'm not the first to have said this, but I think the new MBA will have an iOS overlay so that it can convert from laptop to an iPad. Or an iPad act-alike.

Ick. I hope this never happens and I'm tired of hearing people wish for a fusion of the OS's in a single device. The iOS was designed for portable low power devices. Not fully capable computers. Get over your apps. We want applications.

Jarbo
Oct 20, 2010, 08:16 AM
All I wanted was a new Macbook Pro. With all the talk about Air It seems like I may be out of luck.
:(

omenatarhuri
Oct 20, 2010, 08:21 AM
All I wanted was a new Macbook Pro. With all the talk about Air It seems like I may be out of luck.
Don't lose hope. You'll find the droid you're looking for.

-Steve

Sent from my RESERVED 10 20 device

Mal
Oct 20, 2010, 08:22 AM

I wouldn't rule it out because of this. There'd be no need for a new forum section for a new MBP, unlike the ones listed here (although the MBA getting a new forum is a bit weird, unless they plan to have separate 11" and 13" sections, assuming those rumors are true).

jW

songcunzhi
Oct 20, 2010, 08:22 AM
wtf is 10.7???

DJinTX
Oct 20, 2010, 08:25 AM
wtf is 10.7???

wtf are you talking about?

mtbdudex
sneaky and neat how you got the info, I wonder if this will lead Apple to "plug the leak" by keeping the stuff on their internal test servers more so instead of the public servers....

netdog
wtf is 10.7???

Oh dear.

mrgreen4242
Oct 20, 2010, 08:26 AM
I'm still hoping for an iOS app builder app as part of iLife.

mabaker
Oct 20, 2010, 08:26 AM
Amazingly the Google fanboiis inject their venom in each and every thread on MACrumors. :)

coleridge78
Oct 20, 2010, 08:27 AM
I doubt it. Most of those "discoveries" are part of Apple's marketing strategy anyway: It's cheap and provides A LOT of free media coverage.

And as with all of your wise pronouncements, you say this with precisely zero evidence even though it is an extraordinary claim.

Deliberate leaks are a very small PR avenue for any company, even Apple, because contrary to your assertion they generate very little buzz out in the wider world beyond forums. And setting up a deliberate leak by exposing something to a web spider?

Come on. Back it up, or admit that as usual you're just making it up.

jhiner
Oct 20, 2010, 08:27 AM
I'm still hoping for an iOS app builder app as part of iLife.

How would that work? Like the Web Clips Widget builder for OS X?

fishmoose
Oct 20, 2010, 08:30 AM

Damn, you have insight into Apple's marketing department? Start a blog!

pmz
Oct 20, 2010, 08:31 AM
How would that work? Like the Web Clips Widget builder for OS X?

Duh

omenatarhuri
Oct 20, 2010, 08:31 AM
Damn, you have insight into Apple's marketing department? Start a blog!
What's up with the hate? I thought it was a reasonable theory.

fishmoose
Oct 20, 2010, 08:33 AM
What's up with the hate? I thought it was a reasonable theory.

Yeah its an interesting theory but he stated it as a fact, not a theory.

Andy-V
Oct 20, 2010, 08:33 AM
Misleading? The only way the invite could be misleading is if the entire program was about non-Mac products. The invite only said "Back to Mac".

As for the Lion=10.7 that is personal inference. We all assume the lion is a hint on 10.7. However, it could also have some other meaning -- like Safari or unnamed app related to Safari or the web.

If there's no 10.7 I'd absolutely class the invite as misleading, intentionally or not. Big cats = OS X, and here's a new big cat.

If the whole event didn't mention a mac, the invite wouldn't be misleading. It would simply be a lie :p

babble
Oct 20, 2010, 08:36 AM
Bring it on Apple!

cvaldes
Oct 20, 2010, 08:38 AM
If there's no 10.7 I'd absolutely class the invite as misleading, intentionally or not. Big cats = OS X, and here's a new big cat.

If the whole event didn't mention a mac, the invite wouldn't be misleading. It would simply be a lie :p
Historically, Apple has given the public a preview of the upcoming OS X, yet the final release will be months later. If they do this today, they would be keeping in line with previous behavior.

They could easily release new Macs without a new operating system. They have done so in the past, you know.

sishaw
Oct 20, 2010, 08:39 AM
Ick. I hope this never happens and I'm tired of hearing people wish for a fusion of the OS's in a single device. The iOS was designed for portable low power devices. Not fully capable computers. Get over your apps. We want applications.

Why? No one would force you to use the iOS layer, but it could be handy for some of us. There would still be Mac OSX. I think in a small device it would be the best of both worlds, especially if the keyboard could fold back or be removed.

I doubt I'm right--I'm just having fun speculating anyway.

jamin100
Oct 20, 2010, 08:40 AM
looks like it'll be streamed too

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=11259928#post11259928 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=11259928#post11259928)

silentnite
Hopefully garbage band will get some better features for us musicians. :D

Sminman86
Looks like Apple will be streaming the event for us:

When: Wednesday, October 20, 2010, 10:00 a.m. PDT
Where: www.apple.com/uk
Live Video Streaming
Apple® will broadcast its October 20 event online using Apple's industry-leading HTTP Live Streaming, which is based on open standards. Viewing requires either a Mac® running Safari® on Mac OS® X version 10.6 Snow Leopard®, an iPhone® or iPod touch® running iOS 3.0 or higher, or an iPad™. The live broadcast will begin at 10:00 a.m. PDT on October 20, 2010 at www.apple.com/uk.
This broadcast is the property of Apple and is protected by US copyright law and international treaties. Any reproduction or distribution is strictly prohibited without prior written approval from Apple. Please contact Apple Public Relations with any questions.
Apple designs Macs, the best personal computers in the world, along with OS X, iLife, iWork, and professional software. Apple leads the digital music revolution with its iPods and iTunes online store. Apple is reinventing the mobile phone with its revolutionary iPhone and App Store, and has recently introduced its magical iPad which is defining the future of mobile media and computing devices.

jonnysods
Oct 20, 2010, 08:43 AM
64 bit iLife apps?

A new MBA? If it's good enough I'm going to scale down and get one. I love those things, but they definitely need more ram.

Bring it on!

omenatarhuri
Oct 20, 2010, 08:43 AM
Looks like Apple will be streaming the event for us:...
Viewing requires either a Mac® running Safari® on Mac OS® X version 10.6 Snow Leopard®, an iPhone® or iPod touch® running iOS 3.0 or higher, or an iPad™. The live broadcast will begin at 10:00 a.m. PDT on October 20, 2010 at www.apple.com/uk.
Lol, no viewing again from the Leopard running iMac. Glad I have an iPhone running iOS 3.1. that can handle the stuff that a desktop mac cannot. :rolleyes:

ipodcolor
Oct 20, 2010, 08:44 AM
Apple has confirmed it will offer live streaming of its event today.

Media Alert
Apple to Provide Live Video Streaming of Today’s Event
What:*Live video stream of Apple’s October 20 event
When: Wednesday, October 20, 2010, 10:00 a.m. PDT
Where: www.apple.com/uk

Live Video Streaming

Apple® will broadcast its October 20 event online using Apple’s industry-leading HTTP Live Streaming, which is based on open standards. Viewing requires either a Mac® running Safari® on Mac OS® X version 10.6 Snow Leopard®, an iPhone® or iPod touch® running iOS 3.0 or higher, or an iPad™. The live broadcast will begin at 10:00 a.m. PDT on October 20, 2010 at*www.apple.com/uk. From 9to5mac.com

sphoenix
Oct 20, 2010, 08:45 AM
Say hello to MacBook Air Touch! Haha... no really

talkingfuture
Oct 20, 2010, 08:46 AM
Good news about the live streaming. So much easier to get the facts than relying on a second hand liveblog.

Gasu E.
Oct 20, 2010, 08:48 AM
What about MacBook Helium ?? (Lighter than Air)

That's not a bad call. Very Jobsian.

Northgrove
So it looks like a forum admin has "fixed" the categories to be less revealing now. :)

They were really lucky to have used a "Reserved 10 20" name for the unannounced product even when they didn't realize others could discover it! This could have resulted in a pretty embarrasing leak otherwise. ;) (after all, the MBA thing was pretty well-known, but not the unannounced iLife 11 product)

Thanks for the heads-up on live streaming from Apple, guys!

Brinkman
Anyone think there will be updates for the macbook lineup or just Air.

Jaro65
Oct 20, 2010, 08:49 AM
64 bit iLife apps?

A new MBA? If it's good enough I'm going to scale down and get one. I love those things, but they definitely need more ram.

Bring it on!

I think there's little doubt they'll give it at least 4 GB of RAM, but I'm really hoping for more.

Brinkman
Oct 20, 2010, 08:49 AM
Good news about the live streaming. So much easier to get the facts than relying on a second hand liveblog.

Yeah, I'm kinda sick of engadgets snarky and "witty" commentary.

headfuzz
Oct 20, 2010, 08:50 AM
Macbook Vapor.

Steve Job's strongest reality distortion field at a product release to date.

So strong, the product doesn't actually exist, and is merely vaporware.

But the most stylish, sexiest vaporware the market has ever seen.

pmz
Oct 20, 2010, 08:50 AM
Lol, no viewing again from the Leopard running iMac. Glad I have an iPhone running iOS 3.1. that can handle the stuff that a desktop mac cannot. :rolleyes:

The only reason being, your desktop software is 4 years out of date. Unlike you iPhone, which which is only 8 months out of date.

pmz
Oct 20, 2010, 08:51 AM

Definitely not witty, definitely more jackas*y

mcoyne
Oct 20, 2010, 08:53 AM
Apple has renamed the hidden forums :) Now:
a
aa
ab
ac
ad

NinjaHERO
Oct 20, 2010, 08:54 AM
New product??? Are there even hints out there about something new? Or do they just mean a variant in size on an existing product?

HLdan
Oct 20, 2010, 09:13 AM
Can't wait to hear all the bitching from the annoying whining sense of entitlement forum members complaining that Apple didn't give them what they expected today or how boring the show is. Buttering the popcorn after the show and sitting back ready to read MR. :p

shanmugam
Oct 20, 2010, 09:23 AM
Can't wait to hear all the bitching from the annoying whining sense of entitlement forum members complaining that Apple didn't give them what they expected today or how boring the show is. Buttering the popcorn after the show and sitting back ready to read MR. :p

if it is going to be only MBA refreshes, definitely whining will be a lot. starting with me :D

Mac21ND
Oct 20, 2010, 09:29 AM

I used to think the jokes were funny, but I grew tired of them quickly.

Popeye206
Oct 20, 2010, 09:34 AM
Well... I think it's obvious to say there is an update to the MBA... plus the announcement of a new OSX version given the teaser. I'm just hoping whatever new product they're announcing is cool. It would be great to see a nice surprise. :)

Either way... I'm sure there will be something to get excited about and something for people to whine about.

hulfordp
Oct 20, 2010, 09:36 AM
It would be great to get an insight into Aperture 4! Make it lighter and able to handle large projects better without the great colourful beach ball!!!

For ilife, I hope iweb gets a huge overhaul!!! I use it for a church website and it looks so "cheap", but I have no idea how to use anything else! Hopefully it will add features that have been only for .mac users for all of us. That said .mac for free would be great!

Lion~ who knows what they could improve?!

Tommigun
Oct 20, 2010, 09:53 AM

The pages are now gone altogether.

BeSweeet
Oct 20, 2010, 09:53 AM
Observation: Apple removed all of those discussion categories except for the first one.

polaris20
Oct 20, 2010, 09:57 AM
Please Apple: new GarageBand, with companion GB for iPad, along with dock connector audio interface. I would be nothing short of ecstatic.

omenatarhuri
Oct 20, 2010, 10:02 AM
The only reason being, your desktop software is 4 years out of date. Unlike you iPhone, which which is only 8 months out of date.
I know. And I know Snow Leopard is only 29 EUR.

But still...

The iPhone is the original one so I cannot upgrade to iOS4.

Andy-V
Oct 20, 2010, 10:18 AM
Historically, Apple has given the public a preview of the upcoming OS X, yet the final release will be months later. If they do this today, they would be keeping in line with previous behavior.

They could easily release new Macs without a new operating system. They have done so in the past, you know.

I was never expecting them to release it today. Only demo it. The new macs will absolutely still be running 10.6.

Giuly
Oct 20, 2010, 10:24 AM
I guess Mac OS X will get renamed to iOS as well, and "Reserved 10 20" is iOS for Desktop :)

Thesand212
Oct 20, 2010, 11:14 AM
Final Cut Express 5 please

timdafweak
Oct 20, 2010, 11:15 AM

And I, of Gizmodo's. Glad that they are no longer invited to the press events.

Hamsterz
Oct 20, 2010, 11:19 AM
Theres a lion on the Back to the Mac logo... Mac OS X Lion announcement?

That'd be cool.

But what can they really do in a new OS? Snow Leopard is top of the line. Cloud computing... the point?

Touch screen imacs from a while back. big chance? I think so.
Small macbook airs, most likely. Netbook sized, maybe.
Another Mac tower? They are suppose to release SEVERAL new products, and I think this is possible. Since.. macs are beginning to go into gaming, why not enable SLI in 10.7?

adamran
Oct 20, 2010, 11:58 AM
Starting any second now!

Thomas2006
Oct 20, 2010, 12:00 PM
I think we will see 64-bit Final Cut Express before Final Cut Pro because FCE is a stand-alone product and would be a solid base for FCP. FCP would get more "advanced/professional" features along with integration with the other Final Cut Studio applications.

iWeb is supposed to get a major update and I did not see it listed so the mystery app could be a full-blown web development application so Apple can really push HTML5.

iDVD will most likely have its functionality merged into iMovie.