Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky
I just got off the phone with Dish, and needless to say it was everything but painless. They would not give up and tacked on all sorts of fees, shipping charges, and were going to make me uninstall the satellite myself. It just made me more angry and determined to cancel.

Anywhoo, I am now living with my PS3 for games & blu-rays (which I have plenty of), and my ATV2. Honestly, so far, it's been fantastic! I discovered more shows that I didn't know were even available on Netflix, I got 10 local HD channels, and the ONLY thing I wish ATV had was Hulu. I would love that.

Basically I saved close to $1000 per year, and it's really great to eliminate a monthly bill in the mail.

Now only if I could somehow get rid of those pesky water and electric bills too :p

thetruth1985

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2010
Good luck man! I went this route earlier this year and it has worked out well for me. The only thing I really needed cable for was College/Pro basketball but they have a online league pass that you can sign up for so I will try that. Who are you using for your internet? I have Clear right now but I am thinking about trying comcast since my speeds with clear are non-consistent.

Freis968

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2007
Ocoee, Florida
I gave up cable TV about a year ago! I also gave up my home phone service about two years ago. I love saving over $1k a year as well!

I have a Sony TV that plays Netflix, I have a Sony BluRay player that plays Netflix and I now have an AppleTV that plays Netflix. For only $8.99/month + tax...netflix is hard to beat!!! You are correct in saying that there is so much content on Netflix instant play now. Pawn Stars, Lock 'n Load, National Geographic...not to mention movies and all kinds of documentaries. I finally saw the sequel to WestWorld the other night...FutureWorld...just happened upon it and it was good fun to watch, although it was no award winning film.

I also have over 120 BluRays at my disposal so it was nice to cut the cord to cable a year or so ago. Besides, I find myself getting so much more done around the house than sitting in front of cable watching show upon show upon show. Now I watch a doc or movie here and there and enjoy the savings and the extra time on my hands.

realeric

macrumors 65816
Jun 19, 2009
United States
I gave up cable TV about a year ago! I also gave up my home phone service about two years ago. I love saving over $1k a year as well!

I dropped cable TV service and then installed an antenna for free local channels, ABC, FOX, NBC, CBS in HD. I also don't use home phone anymore. I pay just $24 for high speed cable internet and $9 for netflix service. :D .... Wait!.... I pay $210 for 4 lines of iPhone. sigh :eek:.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.