PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook Advice

Angelus
Aug 27, 2002, 01:52 PM
Hey im thinking of getting a powerbook,probably the 667mhz version with 512Mb of RAM.It would probably be a strech to buy anyway but tell me,is the 800mhz version that much faster in comparison??
Whats the built in speakers with the powerbook like?For listening to itunes would i need to get some external speakers if i want good quality sound and if so will the apple pro speakers work?

thanks again,
Angelus

iGav
Aug 27, 2002, 02:09 PM
The 800 will be swifter in demanding tasks...... Also it'll have a longer useable life than the 667..... So in my opinion you should go for the 800.......

As for speakers, the inbuilt ones suck..... plain and simple, completely lacking in bass..... but that's to be expected, no laptop has decent quality speakers...... certainly if you take your music seriously you'll need external ones..... I have the soundsticks and iSub and I must say I think they're pretty good + they're by far and away the best looking speakers as well...... ;) IMHO of course :D

Alot of people on here will give you alot of advice on speakers..... to be honest I don't think you can go wrong on any of them.....

mnkeybsness
Aug 27, 2002, 02:16 PM
you may want to wait a few weeks to see if apple will put in a few speed bumps for the powerbooks...there has been quite a bit of talk about doing so...

Angelus
Aug 27, 2002, 04:04 PM
Thanks
i would kinda like to wait 2 c if they get speed bumps but then i wonder if il really need the extra power.also time isnt exactly on my side,if i act in the next week i can get 27% off either the 667 or the 800 but after that itll b 20%. This is a great site but unfortunately its begun to make me paranoid.That post bout the speedbumped powerbooks freaked me and i dont even know if its true,lol! i mean honestly the most likely thing is that theyll go to 1Ghz and superdrive(slim possibility) but i dont need a superdrive. if i buy one of these powerbooks i should have a computer that will last me a good 3-4 years...right?

cb911
Aug 28, 2002, 01:55 AM
yeah, if you get a TiBook it should last you 3 years, if you're not into heaps of graphics or heavy work like that. the longer you can wait the better, but you can't wait forever, so you have to set a limit for yourself.

and you really need to get a good pair of speakers. i just got a set of AltecLansing AVS500's last week & they're awesome!!

if you're unsure of speakers, just go & see them in the store first. it's the easiest way.

PyroTurtle
Aug 28, 2002, 02:50 AM
well, the other plus if you wait is that if you have an apple store near by, you can get the old ones for discounted if they're still in stock....that's how i got my 400, when the 550 came out, i went the store near me and got the 400 for like 1600....i thought it was a good deal...
really, the old models go on sale from just about everybody...
and the speakers aren't really that bad in my opinion, then again, they're not all that great for super bass or really high stuff either....but for just general listning, or on the road listning, they're great i think, best in the laptop community really...or just get some really good headphones i guess...

peterjhill
Aug 28, 2002, 06:39 AM
Are you a student? You can get some pretty nice discounts if you are faculty, staff, or higher ed. student.

If you need a powerbook now, then you are pretty limited. The 800 is great, and I am hoping that mine will last a couple of years till I replace it.

The speakers have surprisingly good stereo resolution, but are "tinny" They are good enough for casual listening, or playing a game, when you are sitting on your couch, but at work, I either use headphones or small computer speakers.

tjwett
Aug 28, 2002, 03:38 PM
the speakers blow for music but are decent for DVD watching, in my experience.