Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
Awesome machines. Just STUNNING!

Only thing I wished was for a 8GB RAM BTO option. Maybe next spec bump :)

Been waiting since MBA V1.0, and believe its the first time that  have got all the stars in alignment. Well worth the wait, will get a maxed out 13", tempted to get the 11" as well.

Just a beautiful piece of design & engineering.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
I was hoping for more RAM as well. Don't care too much about the color of the bezel; I would be more interested in an anti-glare screen. I do like the screen resolutions though!

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
yeah, was that a glossy screen (livable), or horrible glassy screen Steve previewed?

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I was hoping for more RAM as well. Don't care too much about the color of the bezel; I would be more interested in an anti-glare screen. I do like the screen resolutions though!

You can order an anti-glare display from a third-party reseller for less than $200.

I am so happy we don't have the black glare bezel. It was the one part I wasn't hopeful they would adopt that I really thought was a certainty. Glad to be wrong. And glad they used the glass too.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Who's the third party reseller. Do they replace the screen or just an AG sheet you put over?

No they don't install it for you. No it's not a film cover.

It's an actual display. It's just the display, so you need to take apart the MBA to do it. I was surprised to see them actually, I was looking for a new LCD for a 52" Toshiba Regza TV and saw MBA anti-glare displays. Will look through my bookmarks some other time and post the link. However, might just be able to search and find it easily.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I think its an identity thing with the Aluminum bezel.

The white macbook has a white bezel, the silver airs have silver bezels, and the macbook pros have black bezels. I wanted a black bezel until I noticed this on their website with all three machines together.

Adidas Addict

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
England
And glad they used the glass too.

Is it definitely glass fronted?

*edit, it doesn't have glass:

One thing I will say is that because there is no glass in front of the screen as there is on other MacBooks, the Air does feel slightly cheaper if you touch the screen. Of course, that lack of glass also helps keep the weight down and eliminates a lot with the glare problems that the other MacBooks with glossy screens have.

from: http://www.techgoo.net/2010/10/21/f...houghts-after-a-day-with-the-new-macbook-air/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.