PDA

View Full Version : iBook G4 leopard install driving me MAD!

TheSVD
Oct 20, 2010, 03:48 PM
Hi All,

i've been trying to install leopard on my iBook G4 for a while now with no avail.

Specs: 1.2GHz G4, 256MB RAM, 40GB HDD

I first tried to install leopard with a fairly scratched disc. The install always froze at the same point so i put it down to the disc.

I have since tried remote install Mac OS X, booting from USB drives to install leopard, almost everything I can find but none of it works!

So i finally went out and bought a new (yes, sealed!) version of Leopard which they had left at my local computer store, thinking it'd be all fun and games.

However, upon trying to install it, it simply takes FOREVER! its next to me now (second attempt, got fed up first time) just trying to reach the first menu of the install leopard and it takes about half an hour to even do that. Every next click through the menu is a good 20 mins/half hour, which is ridiculous.. as mentioned last time I tried I just gave up.

What else can I do? I just want leopard on this friggin iBook and it's making me go mad! recently I've had no luck with technology and it's all just ****ing me off big time!

Thankyou :)

Hrududu
Oct 20, 2010, 03:50 PM
Sounds to me like the optical drive is going bad. When you say you tried a remote install, does that include booting your iBook into Target Disk Mode and trying an install from another PPC Mac?

666sheep
Oct 20, 2010, 04:17 PM
You have not enough RAM. That's the issue. Minimum required by Leo is 512MB. Even if you'd be patient enough, you'd see message "you cannot install OS X on this computer" (or similar). Installer checks CPU speed and amount of RAM.

raysfan81
Oct 20, 2010, 04:47 PM
You have not enough RAM. That's the issue. Minimum required by Leo is 512MB. Even if you'd be patient enough, you'd see message "you cannot install OS X on this computer" (or similar). Installer checks CPU speed and amount of RAM.

Yes that is the problem. I would recommend 1gb + of ram (768mb) minimum for leopard.

FourCandles
Oct 20, 2010, 04:58 PM
A 1GB stick from Crucial UK (to give you a total of 1.25GB) is currently listed at 37.59 GBP. You can probably get cheaper, but Crucial get my vote.

I've got a 512MB Crucial stick in my iBook (plus the 512MB on-board) and have no problems with Leopard.

As always, check the exact model number etc. before ordering.

TheSVD
Dec 8, 2010, 06:54 AM
Sorry, forgot to reply!

I've just left it now, but thanks everyone for all your help :)

California
Dec 10, 2010, 05:19 PM
Sorry, forgot to reply!

I've just left it now, but thanks everyone for all your help :)

I've got a 256mb chip I'll send you free for the price of shipping to UK so you can up your ram on the iBook to 512mb.

OrangeSTVguy always sends me stuff for free or almost free here in MR so I'm returning you his favor.