Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
I have had more earbuds fail at the plug then I can count. only the apple earbud jacks don't seem to fail butthe buds have failed often. I have had two pair of fmj with failed plugs this last one at most 3 weeks.
several other brands have had failed plugs too. I have had 5 or 6 at least headphone adapters have plugs that have failed. Most of them don't have 90 degree plugs and the stress in the pocket is pretty high sometimes.
I would like ones with built in mike.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
I've had the same pair of UE's for almost a year now.

do you carry the phone in your pocket with them plugged in? this is the cause of the failure for the most part. I finally started carrying the phone jack up but these fmjs just gave up the ghost after a few weeks.

goddi

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2010
had sony in-ear stuff and sennheiser ... both no problems

once lost the silicone on the sony... but easily swichable with replacements/some other brands

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
do you carry the phone in your pocket with them plugged in? this is the cause of the failure for the most part. I finally started carrying the phone jack up but these fmjs just gave up the ghost after a few weeks.

Yes, but with the headphone jack facing the top of my pocket (and the screen facing my thigh).

When I'm not using the headphones, I put my phone in my pocket upside-down.

hard-case

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2007
I have had more earbuds fail at the plug then I can count. only the apple earbud jacks don't seem to fail butthe buds have failed often. I have had two pair of fmj with failed plugs this last one at most 3 weeks.
several other brands have had failed plugs too. I have had 5 or 6 at least headphone adapters have plugs that have failed. Most of them don't have 90 degree plugs and the stress in the pocket is pretty high sometimes.
I would like ones with built in mike.

Honestly, I've only come across two that fit the bill. Fortunately, one of them is relatively inexpensive.

The Klipsch S4i takes a beating. I've had them yanked out of the phone more times than I can count, and the control box actually got bent though I have no idea how. Even so....still sounds just the way they did when I bought them.

The other is my workhorse, the Shure SE530's with the MPA adapter.Amazing sound, and never had a problem with them, though I wish they'd update the MPA to have volume controls like the newer remotes.

Oddly, I had horrible luck with the etymotic hf.2s....they're supposed to be very highly rated but after going through three replacements in less than a year I just tossed them in a drawer and ordered the SE530s. Also stay away from anything v.moda. Spent more time out on warranty repair than I had using them, and the build quality was substandard.

tsboy69

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2010
I've had very good luck with the Senneiser Earbuds MM-50's.
Great sound and they have lasted me over two years of constant in the pocket use. I paid $80 for them and just last week bought a backup on Amazon for $31.99+minimal shipping.

It has a built in mic for phone usage and has button to answer/hang up/switch songs.

Jumpman2033

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
I have had my skull candy buds for a few years. I don't know if they have exactly what you are looking for, but they seem to be good quality. I have been pretty rough on them, too.

Firestar

macrumors 68020
Sep 30, 2010
221B Baker Street.
I had my Skullcandy Ink'd for a few months and then they went through the wash (just washer, not dryer). Still worked. But I was going to get a new pair, so I gave them to a friend. He broke them after a few months, but they come with a lifetime warranty.

I had a pair of Sony MDR something.... They were $6 on eBay, but once they arrived, I hated them. They had an extreme asym cord, and I couldn't stand them. Threw them away. Got my Ink'd.

When I tried to upgrade from my Ink'd I decide to get some Sennheisers CX300, also from eBay, for $16. They also had a asym cord but not as bad as the Sonys. Fair sound quality, but I ditched them after a month.

After my Sennheisers I tried V-Moda Vibe. They were my second favorite. Lasted about 2 months, but I lost them.

Overall, my favorite is the Ink'd, and I got a new pair a few weeks ago for $5. Haven't tried them out, I don't have a MP3 player to try them out with yet.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
looks like it may be my phone this time. if I push down on the jack it causes the a pushed talk button action to happen.I don't see anything in the jack.

Firestar

macrumors 68020
Sep 30, 2010
221B Baker Street.
looks like it may be my phone this time. if I push down on the jack it causes the a pushed talk button action to happen.I don't see anything in the jack.
It's possible that the phone is the problem. My friend went through 5 pairs of Xbox 360 earbuds in about 3 months, and on the 5th pair or so he tried it on his other controller and the ones that he had worked...

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
I just tested some apple earbuds and they are fine. The fmj's did it once in awhile along with one siding coming and going. so it looks like it is not the phone. the new ones are Klipsch and they have the 90 degree plug but they don't sit tight down in the phone so when you push down it activates the talk button. They are the only ones that have done that so it has to be them. They do sound decent and stay in my ears. I don't need great sound I only listen to audiobooks and in a noisy environment.

cmoore49

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2008
Nuforce has some audiophile quality sound for apple prices.
I have been very happy with mine for over a year. Microphone built in.

chickdigger802

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
Also remember most headphones these days have 1-3 year warranties. I usually burn through headphones fast as well so I have a backup pair when my broken one goes to be replaced.

I'm currently using klipsch s4 (stupid mic ones came out like 2 months after i bought these >.>"). Already replaced them like 3 times the past 2 years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.