PDA

View Full Version : Will OSX 10.7 Lion lead to a touch screen interface

mrmarts
Oct 20, 2010, 07:03 PM
With todays release of OSX 10.7 and the app interface will the next round of macs welcome a touch screen interface to make gestures swiping the screen to flick through app pages etc.

dejo
Oct 20, 2010, 07:04 PM
No. Watch the event video and see what they say about vertical touch screens and fatigue.

lewis82
Oct 20, 2010, 07:05 PM
Jobs said today that touch screens are a no go, your arm wants to rip itself off after a few minutes. Maybe for 10.8 ;)

spinnerlys
Oct 20, 2010, 07:05 PM
No, as it was shown to us during the keynote, that touching the screen will lead to arms falling of. And Mac OS X 10..7 Lion is not released yet. It will be in summer 2011 though.

Sixtafoua
Oct 20, 2010, 08:03 PM
I think eventually os x will become touch-based, but not until they can integrate a touch screen into desktops and laptops without having the monitors vertical.

Yr Blues
Oct 20, 2010, 08:57 PM
If arm-fatigue is a factor, why does the iPad have a dock/keyboard accessory? Once again, Jobs is full of dis-info and lulz. He's a great salesman.

lewis82
Oct 20, 2010, 09:08 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; fr-fr) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

The keyboard dock allows you to use a keyboard. It's meant to type. When you want to touch the screen a lot, take it in your hands.

deetsnai
Oct 20, 2010, 10:03 PM
Touch is coming, the gestures are a joke. If you watch the keynote, you can see them fail to trigger several times during the Lion demo. Also, remember that Apple said touch doesnt work ... for VERTICAL screens. There is no reason that the iMac wont have a mechanism to slide into a more horizontal orientation. Here is a patent illustration from August:
http://www.patentlyapple.com/.a/6a0120a5580826970c0133f34442aa970b-pi

Yr Blues
Oct 20, 2010, 10:19 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; fr-fr) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

The keyboard dock allows you to use a keyboard. It's meant to type. When you want to touch the screen a lot, take it in your hands.

But while docked and using the keyboard, Jobs never said that your arm will fall off if you touched the iPad. Besides, lots of people use the iPad in an upright position.

smithrh
Oct 20, 2010, 10:26 PM
Touch is coming, the gestures are a joke. If you watch the keynote, you can see them fail to trigger several times during the Lion demo.

Hmmmm.... the gestures I use on my MacBook dozens of times each day are a joke? That's odd, they work great for me.

I did notice them not firing during the demo - but I also thought I saw the guy's hands shaking like a leaf too.

aiqw9182
Oct 20, 2010, 10:56 PM
Touch is coming, the gestures are a joke. If you watch the keynote, you can see them fail to trigger several times during the Lion demo.Did you also see his hand? He was shaking like crazy because he was nervous. I perform those gestures that he was doing with the Magic Mouse every day flawlessly using an app called BetterTouchTool. The problem he was having with the Magic Mouse is that he wasn't holding it while he was doing the gestures so the mouse moved when he tried to swipe which in turn made it not register the gesture.

aprofetto8
Oct 21, 2010, 01:44 PM
Touch is coming, the gestures are a joke. If you watch the keynote, you can see them fail to trigger several times during the Lion demo. Also, remember that Apple said touch doesnt work ... for VERTICAL screens. There is no reason that the iMac wont have a mechanism to slide into a more horizontal orientation. Here is a patent illustration from August:
http://www.patentlyapple.com/.a/6a0120a5580826970c0133f34442aa970b-pi

I agree with you on this to be honest.

I thought it was funny that Jobs said touch only work horizontally (in not so many words). The first thing I thought of was this patent.

Now the more I think about it, with MissionControl, and Launchpad, they'll make the balance between touch/mouse input perfect.

Imagine, you are typing in Pages, then want to work in iPhoto, bend down your iMac, open Launchpad, you basically have an iOS interface now, you then touch iPhoto, opens full screen and you go to work with your fingers. Then you want to go back to pages? Swipe back with your finger on the screen then put your iMac back upright and voila.

I seriously think it has potential. There is no doubt in my mind touch will come to Mac OS, and Launchpad and MissionControl will be what makes it possible.

And come to think of it, in the patent picture, it looks like a full screen iPhoto running.

nexsta
Oct 21, 2010, 08:31 PM
This patent image looks awesome, but everyone knows how many patents never seen the light of an end product, but I really wish something like this will come out as soon as possible, even next year? I hope so...

QuarterSwede
Oct 21, 2010, 08:59 PM
Did you also see his hand? He was shaking like crazy because he was nervous.
I noticed that, poor guy.

Once again, Jobs is full of dis-info and lulz. He's a great salesman.
Exactly. Jobs never lets anyone know his poker hand. Remember he said that no one would ever want to watch video on an iPod. At the moment that made sense but they changed the hardware and "Boom" it happened. The same will apply here. That patent application just makes way too much sense now that we've seen a preview of Lion.

biggd
Oct 21, 2010, 09:31 PM
I noticed that, poor guy.

Haha I liked that guy, I laughed when he said he liked "windows". He seemed to have trouble with the magic mouse (dont we all), but ya high pressure to deliver. He did well.

TMar
Oct 21, 2010, 10:49 PM
Steve says 'no' too a lot of things that he ends up doing.

"No one would ever want anything bigger then a 15" screen."
"Nobody wants to watch videos on a small screen" on saying no to video ipod
"There are no plans to make a tablet. It turns out people want keyboards" He also said a flat out 'NO' to making a tablet, cell phone, or PDA.

It will come, just not with Lion.

goobot
Oct 21, 2010, 11:03 PM

"There are no plans to make a tablet. It turns out people want keyboards" He also said a flat out 'NO' to making a tablet, cell phone, or PDA.

dont forget fm radio

steve just likes a way of doing stuff and unless perfect he doesn't want to do it.

Bernard SG
Oct 21, 2010, 11:19 PM
I wouldn't be as categoric that "it will come" but, for sure, they're exploring it and working on it.

DaWooster
Oct 22, 2010, 07:21 AM

No. It will come with Lion. Lion just reeks of iOS's touch interfaces.

On the counter point. If Apple said that touch interfaces were coming. And then they announced the MacBook Air, without touch screen, where does that leave the sales? Apple will not self cannibalize themselves without having a product everyone is desperate for in place of what got cannibalized.

What I see as awkward is, how are they going to introduce the touch computers. It's a when, not if. Would they start selling Touch iMacs and MacBook (Pro/Air)s leading up to Lion, or in the wake of it? With release cycles being as they are, I don't see Apple refreshing all the lines at the same time. Something has to give.

EDIT:

After reviewing what I wrote in that last paragraph, here's what I think.

Apple gave the next release the Lion name, even though they have a few more big cats left. The Lion is the king of the Jungle. There is nothing left to top it. As far as marketing is concerned, this is the end of OS X.

With Lion we've got the basic touch interface support. Apple will release Lion for the current touch less product line.

Mid to Late Lion cycle Apple will start releasing touch Macs. They come preinstalled with Lion. Because of that you will be both unwilling and unable to downgrade.

Come next OS cycle, and Apple will announce iOS X. They'll finalize the transition to touch screen interfaces.

Merthyrboy
Oct 23, 2010, 05:53 PM
It could have been that the software is still a bit buggy since it's a few months off release and that's why they didn't trigger properly. The guy was shaking a lot as well

macb0y
Oct 24, 2010, 04:23 AM
i think touch screen will eventually come to desktop. I can see that transitioning slowly coming. the problem now is that the current applications/softwares dont really support touch screen therefore steve is slowly transitioning that with mac appstore, launch pad, mission control, etc..

guess it wont be happening that soon..

dccorona
Oct 24, 2010, 01:05 PM
I think eventually os x will become touch-based, but not until they can integrate a touch screen into desktops and laptops without having the monitors vertical.

I dont think os x ever will...but os 11 will

this is what I'm thinking...Lions are the king of cats...where do you go from there? 10.7 will (i believe) be the last os x

so what major change will justify moving to os 11, instead of making it 10.8?
touch

drjsway
Oct 24, 2010, 10:12 PM
In my opinion, Lion will absolutely have a touch interface. C'mon, LaunchPad, Full Screen Mode, iOS-like UI?

The problem is, Lion will not be available until next summer and if they announce the feature now, sales of macs would plummet over the next 8 months. Everyone would want to wait for the new touch macs. In order to preserve sales, they are forced to say "Touch interface won't come anytime soon. Your arms will fall off!"

At the keynote next year, Steve will say, "Good news. We've figured out a way to incorporate touch into macs without your arms falling off." Then they'll introduce the iMac in the patent. Don't know what kind of notebook solution they'll come up with though. They need to find some way to get the notebook display horizontal when in touch mode.

DaWooster
Oct 24, 2010, 10:24 PM
In my opinion, Lion will absolutely have a touch interface. C'mon, LaunchPad, Full Screen Mode, iOS-like UI?

The problem is, Lion will not be available until next summer and if they announce the feature now, sales of macs would plummet over the next 8 months. Everyone would want to wait for the new touch macs. In order to preserve sales, they are forced to say "Touch interface won't come anytime soon. Your arms will fall off!"

At the keynote next year, Steve will say, "Good news. We've figured out a way to incorporate touch into macs without your arms falling off." Then they'll introduce the iMac in the patent. Don't know what kind of notebook solution they'll come up with though. They need to find some way to get the notebook display horizontal when in touch mode.

Theoretically, they could solve this by doing the same thing they're planning on doing to the iMacs (turning the screen to 35) by just tipping the screen back on the MacBooks.

Of course, the problem with that becomes that the screen becomes all the further away when you tilt it like that, a problem you apparently don't have with the iMacs. But I don't think that's a major concern.

mrsir2009
Oct 26, 2010, 01:14 PM
Nope, all the touch ya need is in the magic mouse and trackpad :)

Nishi100
Oct 29, 2010, 09:43 AM
Yep I think it will lead to a touch screen iMac,

I think that they will, in Summer 2011 (WWDC):
- Add a touch style interface to iWork (Did you see how large the "share buttons" were spaced in iPhoto).
- Introduce a 22 inch touch screen iMac, with a dual core "i" series processor (which rotates horizontally); but still keep the 21.5 and 27 inch for the mouse/trackpad users, with quad cores.
- Or, Apple could stick with two sized touch screen iMacs (21.5 and 27), but, if the user wants, as a BTO, add a touch screen layer on top of the screen. (I don't know if this is possible but if it is... quad-core iMac, with HDMI):D

reviewspin
Nov 4, 2010, 10:30 PM
No. Watch the event video and see what they say about vertical touch screens and fatigue.

I think either what the other guys are talking about will happen (which, btw, I doubt that as well) or we will get support for new accessories that don't exist in the mainstream market right now (but they do exist).

Meaning, OS X Lion will see a new touch keyboard. Either fully multi touch with no real buttons, or a keyboard (much like the wireless one with no number pad) with a touch pad built into the keyboard. That will allow for pinch to zoom and other gestures. And more gestures on the Magic Mouse. Of course, this would mean we without that hardware would have to go and get the hardware.

I think touch keyboards and mouse accessories are the future. It allows for ease of navigation and I believe will improve people's work flow.

karsten
Nov 14, 2010, 07:59 PM
or a keyboard (much like the wireless one with no number pad) with a touch pad built into the keyboard. That will allow for pinch to zoom and other gestures. And more gestures on the Magic Mouse. Of course, this would mean we without that hardware would have to go and get the hardware.

I think touch keyboards and mouse accessories are the future. It allows for ease of navigation and I believe will improve people's work flow.

keyboard would be cool :) i have the key spots memorized anyway so it would be a lot faster

MattInOz
Nov 15, 2010, 12:37 AM
Hehe Mr Jobs also said People don't want to watch video on the small iPod screen. Knowing full well that the next iPod had a much larger screen and video support.

So yes Lion will add already existing Touch screen support in Mac OS X.
But it will be with a device/accessory with lays flat or slopped on your desk.

The interesting Patent application on this for me was the one for self installing location specific apps. Yes the application mentioned restaurant menu's or cafe services. The use that came to mind straight away for me was for Mac applications to have a touch interface app. Switch on the app on your Mac and your iPad would add the interface app would add itself to your home screen. Fire up the app and you have touch,keyboard,mouse, big screen all working in combo.

goobot
Nov 15, 2010, 01:29 AM
http://web.mac.com/davemeier/MacBookProTouchDVD.jpg

santaliqueur
Nov 15, 2010, 12:59 PM
Nope, all the touch ya need is in the magic mouse and trackpad :)

Don't forget Better Touch Tool. I thought of returning the Magic Trackpad until I found BTT. Essential and free, though I certainly donated.

hachre
Nov 17, 2010, 08:17 PM
I'm not sure it's that great for your neck to look down on a horizontal iMac display + touch area...

Andeavor
Jan 27, 2011, 04:27 PM
That's a really poor excuse.

I felt they were simply trying to cover the fact that they wasted time and money in developing touch technology for iPods, iPhones and iPads. The touch-enabled Mac will come within 2 years. Meanwhile, many other PC hardware manufacturers are successfully selling touch-enabled all-in-one PCs where most of the users still focus on using the mouse and keyboard.

doug in albq
Jul 7, 2011, 12:08 AM
To the original post:

I would say yes, OS X Lion hints at eventual touchscreen compatibility.

I also think we will see touchscreen-available iMacs, and maybe even the MacBook Air, soon enough.

Not replacing the current input methods, only adding to them.

freedevil
Jul 7, 2011, 12:30 AM
Image (http://www.patentlyapple.com/.a/6a0120a5580826970c0133f34442aa970b-pi)

Thats one huge neck ache for all consumers staring down at their screen, its counter productive, besides a 27" iMac will be blurred at that distance.

doug in albq
Jul 7, 2011, 04:58 PM
Thats one huge neck ache for all consumers staring down at their screen, its counter productive, besides a 27" iMac will be blurred at that distance.

Huh? Are you saying no touchscreen Mac is coming?

I say it is only a matter of when touch screen, not if

iHateMacs
Jul 7, 2011, 05:19 PM
Huh? Are you saying no touchscreen Mac is coming?

I say it is only a matter of when touch screen, not if

Maybe when humans have evolved a lighter that air arm then touch screen Macs will start to appear.

If they are not practical now because of human physiology then what is going to change in couple of years?

doug in albq
Jul 7, 2011, 07:07 PM
Maybe when humans have evolved a lighter that air arm then touch screen Macs will start to appear.

If they are not practical now because of human physiology then what is going to change in couple of years?

I would like you to take a look at post #8 in this thread, if you have not seen it yet.

We will get something along these lines, ergonomically, if we are so lucky.

To reiterate, touchscreen Macs will still have a mouse and keyboard and trackpad, for whenever you want or need them. Touchscreen will be simply an added method of input, although it will be quite revolutionary when Apple does it—because it will be done right.

Much, if not most of Lion UI/UX changes are not to simply copy iOS for esthetics, they adding touchscreen usability that will be introduced in the near future, when Apple has the hardware ready. I see touchscreen as the next big thing for Macs, heck the iMac almost seems like it was made for touchscreen.

If you fail to see any of this I think you are in the wrong thread...

Arhude
Dec 28, 2011, 12:43 PM
People who say touchscreens on laptops or desktops are impractical because of arm fatigue have probably never used one. I had an Acer laptop with a touchscreen before going to my macbook air and I loved it (the touchscreen part) but was attracted to Apple's incredibly compact design so I ditched the Acer and got a MBA. The only drawback in my mind is that it is not touchscreen. I have my MBA set up now with with an ACER T231H 22" touchscreen monitor hoping Apple will come to their senses. I use the monitor as my primary monitor with the MBA off to the side with a bluetooth keyboard and magic trackpad. It's an excellent monitor and has a very simple yet clever rear leg that allows you to simply push the monitor back to about a 45 degree angle. Even with that ability to lean it back, I found myself using my touchscreen laptop with the screen in a normal viewing position. You don't hold your arm up constantly. You reach up and do some things sometimes. Plus, you can leave your elbow setting on the desk. And if your arm gets fatigued, switch to the trackpad. It's actually GOOD for you to move your arm around a bit. Ever hear of carpal tunnel syndrome?
After using the touchscreen on the Acer laptop just a few times, I found myself reaching up and touching my normal monitor at work all the time, and then feeling foolish when nothing happened.
I intend to try to get this Acer touchscreen monitor to work with Windows running with Parallels on the MBA so I can at least get a little of my touchscreen fix.
Listen up Apple. Steve Jobs is gone now so move on. I paid extra money for a touchscreen laptop. I paid extra money for a touchscreen monitor. Other companies are making money instead of you because people actually DO want touchscreen, and not just on an iPad (which I also love).