Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2A Batterie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Out of a Suitcase, USA
I just saw the halftime show for the Orange Bowl, and had to comment about Ashlee Simpon's performance. At first, I thought she was lip-syncing because she had her in-ear monitors out, but then I listened to the vocals. Trust me, they weren't pre-recorded. My friend sitting next to me said it reminded him of a drunk girl at a Karoake bar. It was awful and apparently the crowd agreed, by giving her a nice boo for a response. I can't stand seeing "artists" like Ashlee Simpson who have no real skill and haven't dedicated years upon years to their craft, yet are marketed as real musicians. It was nice though to hear the huge crowd boo her. Anyone else see/hear this?

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
Wait a minute...let's put blame where it lies. The whole half-time show was f---ed up. Kelly Clarkson could barely be heard for most of her song, Travis Atkins fared little better, and the music sounded muddy throughout.

I don't know who produced this gawdawful mess, but it made me wish there was a lip-sync track, so we could at least hear the singing.

As to the booing...it was scattered following Clarkson's and Atkins' performances, but it really crescendoed after Simpson finished. I prefer to think the crowd was panning the entire show, not just Ashlee.

iLikeMyiMac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
St. Louis
I saw it and thought it was funny how they booed her. I hope a video of the halftime show appears on the internet. I think her voice cracked a couple of times too.

mms

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2003
CA
I have to say I'm not surprised...

At least she appears to have learned from her brief stint on SNL. hehe

mcmav37

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2004
Ann Arbor, MI
Thomas Veil said:
Wait a minute...let's put blame where it lies. The whole half-time show was f---ed up.

Yeah, the wireless mike Kelly had wasn't working and throughout her entire performance you could see her struggling to hear herself. Ashlee obviously had the same problem as she quickly pulled out her in-ear headphones. My understanding is that artists have to have those headphones so that they can actually hear themselves and the music. Without them, and all the crowd noise, she's probably trying to hear the music as it comes through the stadium speakers... probably at some delay cause of the distances.

Now, I'm not trying to say that Ashlee Simpson is an amazing artist, but there were obviously technical problems tonight. In fact, as I watched Kelly Clarkson sing, I was just thinking that Ashlee must be seeing that and thinking that her performance would also be marred and make her look bad again.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
mcmav37 said:
I was just thinking that Ashlee must be seeing that and thinking that her performance would also be marred and make her look bad again.
Yes, Ashlee can make herself look bad without the need of a bad halftime show. :p

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
I did see it, I was at a Phoenix airport bar, getting liquored up with a bunch of people waiting for delayed flights.

Everyone was in agreement that she was horrible. The larger point raised, however, is one of demographics.

Those who are interested in watching the Orange Bowl are not those who are interested in someone like Ashlee Simpson's music, regardless of technical skill. Basically, I do not believe than many pre-pubescent girls watch College Bowl games.

I understand that it is all about money these days, which while deploreable, does not explain the seeming gap of logic of booking the acts that comprised the half-time show, as they enjoy no support among the likely viewers of the game.

Seems the monkeys are running the circus...

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
blackfox said:
Those who are interested in watching the Orange Bowl are not those who are interested in someone like Ashlee Simpson's music, regardless of technical skill. Basically, I do not believe than many pre-pubescent girls watch College Bowl games.

I don't think the girls are there to encourage other women to watch.... Also, I wouldn't exactly classify Ashlee Simpson as pre-pubescent. :eek:

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
mactastic said:
I don't think the girls are there to encourage other women to watch.... Also, I wouldn't exactly classify Ashlee Simpson as pre-pubescent. :eek:
huh?

My point is that those who enjoy (and buy) ms. Simpons's music, are generally pre-pubescent girls, who generally do not watch College football.

I did not think I implied that her presence at halftime was to add woman viewers, only that it doesn't seem to make sense, as from my extrapolation of limited empirical evidence, those who were interested in the game roundly hated her presence.

I wouldn't classify Ms. Simpson as pre-pubescent either, but I didn't ever say she was, I am not sure where you inferred that from.

I just don't understand the marketing wisdom. She is not even attractive enough to qualify as eye-candy for drunken men watching the game.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
blackfox said:
huh?

My point is that those who enjoy (and buy) ms. Simpons's music, are generally pre-pubescent girls, who generally do not watch College football.

Sorry! My bad, I mis-read what you were saying.

I did not think I implied that her presence at halftime was to add woman viewers, only that it doesn't seem to make sense, as from my extrapolation of limited empirical evidence, those who were interested in the game roundly hated her presence.

They hated her singing, not her dancing, let's put it that way. :)

I wouldn't classify Ms. Simpson as pre-pubescent either, but I didn't ever say she was, I am not sure where you inferred that from.

See above apology. I thought you were equating the two.

I just don't understand the marketing wisdom. She is not even attractive enough to qualify as eye-candy for drunken men watching the game.

Have you ever gotten up close to some of those cheerleaders? Horse-faced doesn't even do justice sometimes. Yet the drunk guys still love 'em! Sex sells and all you need is a good body.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
mactastic said:
Have you ever gotten up close to some of those cheerleaders? Horse-faced doesn't even do justice sometimes. Yet the drunk guys still love 'em! Sex sells and all you need is a good body.
Thats why they serve beer at the games, so the cheerleaders will look sexy.

Im sure the Oklahoma fans were drinking most of the beer not because of the cheerleaders or halftime show but because of the score of the game. :p

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
just saw the video.. is it just me or does she look like an 80's throw back with those clothes she's wearin'? ne way, trace atkins ain't so bad, he was big in the mid 90's... he had a country song called "this ain't no thinkin' thing", its on itunes.. one of his better songs :p

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
iLikeMyiMac said:
Are you trying to play it with quicktime? Go to http://www.divx.com/divx/mac/ and get the plugging or try a different player. It seems to work for quackattack.

I just downloaded an installed DivX 5.2.1. Still got the message that I'm missing the needed software. The software isn't available at the Apple Server. Yes, I'm using Quicktime as my default. Quicktime came up automatically.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
wdlove said:
I just downloaded an installed DivX 5.2.1. Still got the message that I'm missing the needed software. The software isn't available at the Apple Server. Yes, I'm using Quicktime as my default. Quicktime came up automatically.

I tried it on my PC laptop with Windows Media Player and it said it's missing some codec....so its not just a QuickTime thing I guess.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
wdlove said:
Try 3ivx or Xvid. Renders ok for me. If nothing else, try MPlayer or VLC.

And may I say, that was truly awful. I kinda envy you for not being able to hear it. I stand by my earlier comment.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Yes I'm quoting myself

tech4all said:
I tried it on my PC laptop with Windows Media Player and it said it's missing some codec....so its not just a QuickTime thing I guess.

I should also point out that I can hear the audio, but can't see the video. Although I did hear the 'booooing' :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.