Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
so 60 gb, hmmmm i already have 50 gb itunes library and I am so cheap... to get the 128gb version.

You don't need flash storage for mp3s. It's way more useful to use the flash for your apps so they run very fast. If it's an option, buy a nice external hard drive for your MP3 collection. There are many tiny HDs that offer 500GB or even 1TB of storage space. Carrying a small HD with you isn't that big of a deal, but you probably don't even need to have all your music with you all of the time.

periopdoc

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2009
Kalispell, Montana
If you are like me, the bulk of your iTunes library is movies and TV shows. Split your library to put the majority of these on an external drive so you can keep your music handy. Works great!

- pod

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
I bet it's not even close. If it's a 64GB drive I bet it formats out to about 60GB. Then throw on not just the OS but everything else that ships and it's probably closer to 53-56GB free. Of course I'm guestimating so hopefully someone who's actually used a 64GB drive around here can chime in.

The way some apps build a safety net around you (iPhoto making multiple copies of every picture in your collection, iMovie saving clips you delete, etc.) I just can't see a 64GB drive doing the job unless it's truly a browsing & office only type of use.

joelypolly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2003
Bay Area
If you have iTunes 10 it allows playback of music from even unsynced devices. So no real need to keep all your music on the MBA if you have an iPod or iPhone.

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
Streaming from another mac is stupid imo. Keep power hungry desktop on to stream music to MBA? Waste of power.

If you have a big media library get something else or a bigger ssd and keep it local.

My order is prepped so I can't cancel. But 4 gb ram and a 256 hdd seem like a good idea now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.