Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GSX

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2009
Now that we have heard the news regarding Apple's new Mac App Store what does everyone think?

As someone using a Mac Mini as a HTPC I think I am excited.

I hope that once the App Store gets going there will be a bunch of HTPC related apps. Such as Netflix. Hulu, PBS, etc. I think it would be great to have real, official apps instead of relying on XBMC/Plex plugins which can get broken and/or abandoned. I think it would be amazing if Apple updated/expanded Front Row to allow for such HTPC apps and make it more like XBMC/Plex with media organization, various file support, meta data, etc. With all of this being controlled by Apple remote, iPhone/iPad/Ipod Touch.:eek:

I know a lot of people are hesitant about what Apple is doing. But after seeing the success of the App Store for the iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad and what it has done I think it would be great to bring that to the Mac.

I may be jumping the gun here, and I'm not sure exactly where Apple plans on going with these announcements; but I am excited for all the potential this may bring to us using our Macs as HTPCs. :D

What are your thoughts?

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
You bring up some really great points. I haven't had enough down time to really think about what a Mac App Store might mean for us Mac Mini HTPC users or how it will tie into the AirPlay feature of the ATV2. Right now, sky's the limit...

What we're really gonna need to see though, is exactly how AirPlay works in November and then what apps get approved in 90 days. If ABC or the like get an app out there for the initial roll out, we could be in for a major gamechanger!

bigpatky

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2007
osx app store is more confirmation to me that the appletv2 will get app support soon. like the apps you mentioned, netflix (already there), hulu, mlb.tv, vlc, airvideo, etc.

gilford

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2010
osx app store is more confirmation to me that the appletv2 will get app support soon. like the apps you mentioned, netflix (already there), hulu, mlb.tv, vlc, airvideo, etc.

I disagree, I think the ATV will stay exactly as is, but Apple will release an ATV "style" app for the Mac which will allow you to use the Mac in the same way, thus removing the need for FrontRow all together :cool:

Think about, its strange that they release the new Mini for the HTPC junkie who has cash to burn, but then doesn't allow then to rent 99% of movies in HD for whatever reason. Crating an ATV "app" will allow them to do exactly this, and for whatever reason the Movie Studios dont allow them to rent HD material in the store for will disappear!

Job's a good 'un (pardon the pun ;)) :D

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I disagree, I think the ATV will stay exactly as is, but Apple will release an ATV "style" app for the Mac which will allow you to use the Mac in the same way, thus removing the need for FrontRow all together :cool:

Think about, its strange that they release the new Mini for the HTPC junkie who has cash to burn, but then doesn't allow then to rent 99% of movies in HD for whatever reason. Crating an ATV "app" will allow them to do exactly this, and for whatever reason the Movie Studios dont allow them to rent HD material in the store for will disappear!

Job's a good 'un (pardon the pun ;)) :D

While I agree that we can expect to see HTPC type apps (though more likely from third parties, i.e. PLEX), I completely disagree regarding the :apple:TV remaining static. You think they will have applicable App Stores for every Apple product EXCEPT the :apple:TV? Sorry but I say an :apple:TV App Store is a certainty--believe Steve-O himself all but stated we can expect to see one in the future (sorry, no link readily available).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.