Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bachelor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2010
I'm planning to buy a new iPad 3G from US but I'm very much confused that will it work fine with Indian 3G networks like MTNL and BSNL? I don't have technical information about it. Is there anyone who is using iPad 3G in India? Please clear the questions...

and Please tell me.. Do we have to Jailbreak or it works fine?

Thanks

lapocompris

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2009
Well, 3G is 3G, any 3G device will work on a 3G network as far as I know. Have you seen any iPhone in India?
You may have to cut the sim card if your provider doesn't offer the micro format.

AvMac

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2006
Singapore
I'm planning to buy a new iPad 3G from US but I'm very much confused that will it work fine with Indian 3G networks like MTNL and BSNL? I don't have technical information about it. Is there anyone who is using iPad 3G in India? Please clear the questions...

and Please tell me.. Do we have to Jailbreak or it works fine?

Thanks

People in India have got the 3G iPad from the US.

From what I know, there is no need to jailbreak an iPad. It works perfectly with BSNL/MTNL 3G or a regular GSM SIM with 2.5G/EDGE

You may have to cut the SIM card though to a micro size. Google for it and you will find a lot of adapters/cutters available in the market.

All the best :)

bachelor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2010
People in India have got the 3G iPad from the US.

From what I know, there is no need to jailbreak an iPad. It works perfectly with BSNL/MTNL 3G or a regular GSM SIM with 2.5G/EDGE

You may have to cut the SIM card though to a micro size. Google for it and you will find a lot of adapters/cutters available in the market.

All the best :)

thanks so much buddy. One more thing, is it still working if we update iPad online??
and if it works fine, why iPad jailbreak is available on internet?

bachelor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2010
Well, 3G is 3G, any 3G device will work on a 3G network as far as I know. Have you seen any iPhone in India?
You may have to cut the sim card if your provider doesn't offer the micro format.

Thanks maate :) :)

It was helpful.. :)

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
thanks so much buddy. One more thing, is it still working if we update iPad online??

Because jailbreak is useful for lots more things than just using idevices on other networks.

But yes, if you have a sim card in the right size, a firmware update shouldn't affect it.

lapocompris

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2009
Different countries and even networks within countries use different frequencies.

Yes but the smart guys at Apple knew it, therefore, they designed the iPad with all the frequencies:
UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz)
GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

AvMac

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2006
Singapore

As Night Spring has mentioned, jail break allows you to install 3rd party iPad applications on your device that are not approved by Apple.

Since the iPad is not locked to any carrier, online updates will not cause any issues to the device.

bachelor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2010
more queries

Ohh.. good..thanks for the useful reply!! It was really helpful.

I've other queries too. If we jailbreak iPad can we update the firmware over internet after jailbreaking? Does it void the warranty? If we can't update after jail breaking then how to revert it to normal as it was earlier? Please Clear me..I want to be sure before purchasing..

Is there anyone from India whoz iPad is working fine.

Thanks so much :)

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I've other queries too. If we jailbreak iPad can we update the firmware over internet after jailbreaking? Does it void the warranty? If we can't update after jail breaking then how to revert it to normal as it was earlier? Please Clear me..I want to be sure before purchasing..

You should check out the iPad hacks and iPhone hacks subforums. There are many threads there answering your questions. I found this article particularly helpful when I was first getting into jailbreaking: http://www.hackthatphone.com/4x/read_me_first.html. Another site you might find helpful is iclarifed.com. They have tutorials on how to jailbreak, and how to restore to normal if something goes wrong, or you simply decide jailbreak isn't for you and want to go back to stock OS.

But again, jailbreaking isn't relevant to your using an iPad in India. The iPad either works with SIMS from cell service providers in India, or it won't. If it doesn't, then that is because of hardware limitations, and jailbreak doesn't change your hardware. iPhones are different because they are often sold "locked" to a particular cell service company. These locks are software based, so people jailbreak, then apply unlocking software to use their iPhones with other cell service companies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.