Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HazySkies

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2010
Hi all,

I installed a new internal hard drive in my 13-inch macbook a couple of months back, and like the fool that I am, forgot to take the EMI shield off the old drive and fit it on the new one. The new drive (a 320GB 7200RPM Hitachi) went in no problem without the shield, and everything has been running smoothly since then, but should I expect any long term problems from this? (Other than not being able to get this disk out if I ever need to upgrade again :eek:)

Cheers.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
Which EMI shield are you talking about? The frame/bracket around the hard drive with the white plastic pull tab?

If that's what you are talking about, there isn't anything to really worry about but, if it were me, I'd put it back because I'm a bit anal when it comes to these things.

Since you don't have the tab to pull to remove your current drive, you're going to have to remove the keyboard to gain access. It's not all too difficult. Just make sure you have a #00 philips screw driver.

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2009
dude its not that hard to pull the drive back out, put the shield and tab back on there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.