Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
With so many rumors flying around, here's what I think will happen.

1. Announce the new sub $600 Mac which will ship within 60 days with Tiger. Pre order your today and receive 25 free iTMS downloads. We will ship them in the order we receive orders (puts pipe down)
2. iWorks- available immediately, special upgrade price for first 30 days.
3. iLife 05 - available immediately.
4. More Tiger features announced.

As for iPod stuff, with so much anticipated for MWSF, maybe Apple will save the flash iPod for CES a few days later.

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
rdowns said:
As for iPod stuff, with so much anticipated for MWSF, maybe Apple will save the flash iPod for CES a few days later.

Apple has announced that they won't participate in CES, so this won’t happen.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
- iPod Flash
- iLife '05
- iWork (Keynote, Notes(Word processor), Spreadsheet app, Pages(Web page publisher))
- updated PBs (maybe even 13" PB)
- Asteroid
- iMac mini
- Tiger release date
- iPod mini 5GB

For me, I'd buy the iPod mini that day and with a 13" PB I might trade my 12" in. iLife '05 I'd get too and an iWork for $49 too.

Dalriada

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2004
Moorlough Shore
If Steve didn't have any big PB news for us next week, then wouldn't he have just made some discreet PB speed bumps yesterday as some rumor sites were mentionning (Mac Shrine for one)... and as that didn't happen.......... :D :D :D

Benj

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2004
London
I would think zero chance of a 13" PB. They won't change the housings if a major revision is due.

Think rdowns sounds very close.

The iMac Mini will be an entry level headless Mac for switchers and will work as some kind of lifestyle hub to get the rest of us to hand over our cash. (Oh yes, and it will be a total rip-off outside the US.)

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
rdowns said:
With so many rumors flying around, here's what I think will happen.

1. Announce the new sub $600 Mac which will ship within 60 days with Tiger. Pre order your today and receive 25 free iTMS downloads. We will ship them in the order we receive orders (puts pipe down)
2. iWorks- available immediately, special upgrade price for first 30 days.
3. iLife 05 - available immediately.
4. More Tiger features announced.

Will the sub $600 have any of the sofware include do you think :confused:

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Platform said:
Will the sub $600 have any of the sofware include do you think :confused:

It will have an OS (maybe a free, but you pay shipping, upgrade to Tiger included) and iLife and maybe but probably not iWork.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
robbieduncan said:
It will have an OS (maybe a free, but you pay shipping, upgrade to Tiger included) and iLife and maybe but probably not iWork.

But they come with AppleWorks now, so why not iWork?

They need to call iLife '05 iPlay. So that way you'll have iWork and iPlay.

And I still want a Quicken-like app called iOwe.

gangst

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2004
UK
I'm hoping for PB speed bumps as I see G5's ever more unlikely as I here that Freescale have developed slightly faster G4 chips.
>Probably sub $600 Mac
>iWork or whatever
>Tiger announcements
>I'm really hopeful that Apple will announce new Airport Extreme N with netwworking up to 200mb and better security options (One hopes)

But whatever, I have a feeling it will be pretty good.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
cheap headless mac, cheap headless mac, cheap hedless mac. . . . ive wanted one for so long, and now hearing more rumors that this may come out!!! my money is waiting, otherwise i might save a little more and go for the recently priced dropped monitors to hook up to my PB.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
DavidLeblond said:
But they come with AppleWorks now, so why not iWork?

They need to call iLife '05 iPlay. So that way you'll have iWork and iPlay.

And I still want a Quicken-like app called iOwe.

Because it's new and Apple can make you pay! More seriously only some Macs come with AppleWorks (fairly sure I did not get a copy with my PowerBook, but did with my old iBook). It kind of depends on the pricing of iWork. If iWork is priced at <$100 maybe, but as it is meant to contain KeyNote which is around that price anyway I assume that iWork will be at least $150 on it's own. If this headless Mac is $600 then the OS+iLife+iWork would be worth almost half of the total cost (yes I realise it does not cost Apple the same as retail, but if they can get you to pay the $150 on top of the $600 it's better for them).

Perhaps they will offer some sort of bundle cost which is lower than retail when you buy a new Mac?

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
My official prediction is as follows:

Steve will get up on stage and immediatley begin flinging fully-loaded G5s and 30" cinemas into the crowd, and hundreds of random people will walk out of the conference center with their own new computers, which they will all immediately mail to me. Upon receival I will outfit myself and my friends with computers, and make millions on ebay selling the rest (which Steve, all of the winning players on the champion teams of football (american), football (soccer), baseball, basketball, cricket and rugby had signed, then Steve will drive up in a Ferrari Enzo, get out and throw me the keys.

Feasible right? I think so! :D

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
kingjr3 said:
My prediction is that whatever is announced, most will complain that it wasn't enough. :rolleyes:

That seems to be the case with every Keynote that Steve speaks. Sad, but it's impossible to please everyone. I try not to have expectations, so that I won't be disappointed.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
wdlove said:
That seems to be the case with every Keynote that Steve speaks. Sad, but it's impossible to please everyone. I try not to have expectations, so that I won't be disappointed.

I'm right there with you...I am usually pleasantly surprised most of the time and don't mind if everything doesn't get a price drop or revision.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
So based on all the rumors over what may or may not be announced during the keynote... what do you think will be the "one more thing"?

I honestly don't have a clue.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
The only annoying thing about watching him show all this new software is waiting for it. I badly want Tiger now, but at the same time I want Apple to keep refining it until it's super-smooth and has even more features.

iLife '05...I'll order it on the 10th, but there's still a wait for delivery :(

AppleMatt (patient)

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
AppleMatt said:
The only annoying thing about watching him show all this new software is waiting for it. I badly want Tiger now, but at the same time I want Apple to keep refining it until it's super-smooth and has even more features.

iLife '05...I'll order it on the 10th, but there's still a wait for delivery :(

AppleMatt (patient)

That is exactly why we will probably be waiting until March at the earliest, but probably closer to WWDC. Steve also wants it it be a trouble free as possible.

AppleMatt being patient is a very important and needed trait to have with Apple. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.