Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Nice but.. who really cares about the boot time?

You reboot your Mac whenever an update requires it. Other than that: never.

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Yeah, i would agree when it comes to desktops... but notebooks are rebooted much more regularly
Non-Mac notebooks maybe. For what reason other than to install updates would you reboot your MacBook instead of simply putting it to sleep?

gri

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
New York City, aka Big Apple
Comparing Apples and Oranges. Correct would be old MBA with SSD and new one with flash. Of course its faster with flash versus 4200 rpm HD... My MBA with 128 SSD is about as fast as the new one (as is my MP with 250 SSD...)

spamboxnet

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2010
Non-Mac notebooks maybe. For what reason other than to install updates would you reboot your MacBook instead of simply putting it to sleep?

because you are not everyone :rolleyes: and many people shut down their computer every night or after use for a day.

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
because you are not everyone :rolleyes: and many people shut down their computer every night or after use for a day.
Did I say I was everybody? :rolleyes: I'm simply asking for a reason, because I don't see any. Unless you put your MacBook in a drawer for a month, why not use standby? You don't have to boot, reopen all your apps and documents, and you can start working again within a few seconds.

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
I think the most interesting data is the last test. SSD MacbookPro vs Macbook Air. Macbook Air still wins.

This has to be something to do with either the lack of the SSD controller or the way the MBA is storing some of the startup data in flash which apple hasn't applied to MBP.

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
I think the most interesting data is the last test. SSD MacbookPro vs Macbook Air. Macbook Air still wins.

This has to be something to do with either the lack of the SSD controller or the way the MBA is storing some of the startup data in flash which apple hasn't applied to MBP.
It's also possible it isn't a clean SL install on the MBP. The MBP shows a user login prompt with a custom icon. That means they at least did something on the machine. Very likely that they installed some stuff that might influence the boot time.

In any case, I don't think anyone can complain about 15 seconds :cool:

stockscalper

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2003
Area 51
Yeah, i would agree when it comes to desktops... but notebooks are rebooted much more regularly

Not here. Only reboot my MBP when a software upgrade requires it. Other than that it just sleeps and wakes up instantly. It's close to 5 years old and I've never had a problem with it by not rebooting it regularly. I think that's more of a Windows thing.

spamboxnet

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2010
Did I say I was everybody? :rolleyes: I'm simply asking for a reason, because I don't see any. Unless you put your MacBook in a drawer for a month, why not use standby? You don't have to boot, reopen all your apps and documents, and you can start working again within a few seconds.

It's called saving electricity, aka energy consumption. Which in turn not only saves you money, it more importantly helps our planet.

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
It's called saving electricity, aka energy consumption. Which in turn not only saves you money, it more importantly helps our planet.

Are you for real? :confused:

The time I save by not shutting down and booting up my MacBook every day, I spend saving dolphins and rain forests. I find that allows me to "waste" a few milliwatts every month by keeping my Mac in standby mode.

spamboxnet

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2010

The time I save by not shutting down and booting up my MacBook every day, I spend saving dolphins and rain forests. I find that allows me to "waste" a few milliwatts every month by keeping my Mac in standby mode.

Yeah, and everything else in your household on vampire consumption multiplied by the millions of the other lazy people with the same careless attitude as you. Your comment like "saving the rainforests" pretty much sums you up.

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Yeah, and everything else in your household on vampire consumption multiplied by the millions of the other lazy people with the same careless attitude as you. Your comment like "saving the rainforests" pretty much sums you up.
Ever heard of sarcasm? Guess not.

Anyway, since you appear to be serious, let me be serious too. Putting your MacBook Air to sleep will drain the battery in 30 days, according to Apple's specs. This means that if you do not use your fully charged MBA for a month, you'll save a 1 hour charge (or however long a full charge takes) opposed to when you shut it down. And it'll probably be less since it'll take a lot of juice to boot up the machine every time.

Bottom line: it's only a single charge a month, which comes down to a few pennies. To me, being able to get on with my work within a second by not having to close everything down and boot + open everything up all the time, is worth that itty bit of energy.

And if you really want to save this planet, I suggest you turn off your computer and don't waste your time on forums. (That was a joke)

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
my snow leopard boots and shutdowns so fast with SSD. but now after 9 months of usage, i think it's slower.

this applies to iPhone 4, when i fill a lot of songs, videos and apps, it somehow becomes slower, but it's becoming fast again after i restored the iPhone 4 as new.

WeaselLoader

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2010

So you've never drank out of a plastic water bottle instead of getting a glass. How about decline a plastic bag at Walmart for simple item you can hand carry yourself? :rolleyes:

I consider myself "aware of unnecessary waste" and do all I can to not create waste. I just can't stand hearing eco-nazis rant about the environment and see them pull out a plastic water bottle.

Damn, were we talking about computers? Sorry.

Love the boot time on these SSDs and flash drives, but yeah, kind of a mute point if we leave 'em in sleep mode most of the time.;)

Cycom

Suspended
Mar 27, 2007
Commiefornia

Ahh, another smug and condescending environmentalist. Let me me guess, you also believe in global warming?

Anyways, the new MBA is saweeeet. Can't wait to get one!

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
I shut down my Mac all the time.

Why?

I'll give you a good reason: the window sizes and aspect ratios get screwed whenever you plug/unplug it from the ACD.

Also if you plug the laptop into the ACD when it's asleep and then open it, the ACD is forced as the primary monitor, and not everyone wants that, myself included--the computer is the main machine, the external monitor is just that, an external monitor, off to the side from my computer. Can't stand having the monitor as the primary display.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2007

Yeah and if everyone who owned a Mac did this.... it adds up. It's sad how people have no care or concern for the world as we are destroying it. No, we won't see it in our lifetime, but we are f*king our sht up, and our grandchildren's children will have to pay for it. I'm only 20, but it's hard to miss what's plain in sight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.