PDA

View Full Version : Gateway's new iMac rip off

evildead
Aug 27, 2002, 03:25 PM
Gateway has a new iMac rip off.. they even have some bench marks that compair the iMac to the gateway junk. They seem to think that the Gateway is better... check out the link.

http://www.etestinglabs.com/main/reports/gateway.pdf

-evildead

Mr. Anderson
Aug 27, 2002, 03:27 PM
old news, there are already several threads on this.

D

evildead
Aug 27, 2002, 05:49 PM
I guess I missed them... I tied to delete it but I cant.. oh well.

-evildead

MacBandit
Aug 27, 2002, 10:39 PM
So everyone knows. The reason the iMac did so poorly in the Quake test is because they tested it in Classic. The system comes with OSX as the booting system and they do not officially make Quake for OSX so they started it up it brought up Classic and they ran there tests there.

Check out www.xlr8yourmac.com today 08/27/02.

FattyMembrane
Aug 27, 2002, 11:20 PM
i'm no expert on the many nuances of computer performance, but as many others can infer, these tests were not run in conditions favorable to the mac. for the java web test they used IE which is the largest piece of crap i've ever seen on the mac. it sucks on windows, but it's built into the os and is loaded at boot-time which is why it seems to load so much faster. adobe acrobat reader5 for osx is pretty lame, it used to be very slow for me, but now it will not even start up. preview is much better if you dont need the bookmark features. graphics performance is low, as expected, because video card manufacturers do a half-ass job of supporting their mac drivers. i'd be interested to see those benchmarks run with 10.2/chimera/decent graphics drivers