Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techguy40

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2008
I have the new Apple TV

Will it wake up your macbook pro if its in sleep mode?

I had my macbook pro on sleep mode and the apple tv did not see my computer. I had Itunes on and home sharing on.

When its awake it works great.

dhy8386

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
I have the new Apple TV

Will it wake up your macbook pro if its in sleep mode?

I had my macbook pro on sleep mode and the apple tv did not see my computer. I had Itunes on and home sharing on.

When its awake it works great.

I think so long as your MBP is set to wake on LAN it shoudl work

techguy40

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2008
Under Energy Saver pref in System Preferences, there should be a checkbox for Wake for Network Access.

I did this and my apple 2 tv does not see the macbook pro while the computer is sleeping. Itunes and homesharing is active.

No problem when the macbook pro is awake.

liquidsuns

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
That's actually kind of a conundrum, isn't it? In order to wake the MacBook, the ATV has to be able to see it on the network, but if it's asleep the ATV won't be able to see it.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
That's actually kind of a conundrum, isn't it? In order to wake the MacBook, the ATV has to be able to see it on the network, but if it's asleep the ATV won't be able to see it.

That's because it is a laptop, you need to pick between mobility and features sometime, you must be having the laptop using wireless (it happen sometime with wire too). The macbook will disable the wireless card when it goes to sleep. I know it seen like it should be able to set it that the wireless card would stay on but them it will impact the battery, and if you have it connected to the power outlet, them don't let the laptop goes to sleep (you can still kill the display, but leave the hard drives and everything else running).

There isn't really a way to "wake it up" since it is NOT really connected (while sleep)

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
If you're using wireless on a laptop, you can still get Wake on Demand to work but there are additional requirements like having recent hardware and leaving the laptop open while sleep or attaching the display to an external monitor.

If you have a desktop connected by ethernet, the Wake on Demand feature used with an Apple TV is pure awesomeness.

techguy40

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2008
If you're using wireless on a laptop, you can still get Wake on Demand to work but there are additional requirements like having recent hardware and leaving the laptop open while sleep or attaching the display to an external monitor.

If you have a desktop connected by ethernet, the Wake on Demand feature used with an Apple TV is pure awesomeness.

Thanks

So the macbook pro has to be open if its in sleep mode. I had led close in sleep mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.