Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Planet Telex

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
I'm having no problems streaming music but can't get an .avi that I converted to .mov to stream.

The file plays in iTunes and is in my shared folder in a "Movies" folder. When I browse my movies on the atv, it says that there are no movies in my library.

Any suggestions?

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
I'm having no problems streaming music but can't get an .avi that I converted to .mov to stream.

The file plays in iTunes and is in my shared folder in a "Movies" folder. When I browse my movies on the atv, it says that there are no movies in my library.

Any suggestions?

Are they checked in the home sharing menu to be shared

Gaelic2

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2007
Mountains of N. California

Any suggestions?

Open iTunes. Click on "Movies". Are any showing? If not, go to your "Movie" folder on the HD and click on the ones you want to stream. They should appear in your iTunes movie folder.

Planet Telex

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Open iTunes. Click on "Movies". Are any showing? If not, go to your "Movie" folder on the HD and click on the ones you want to stream. They should appear in your iTunes movie folder.

Yes it appears in "movies" in iTunes and plays in iTunes.

Planet Telex

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Wonder if it is the .mov file. I have converted all of mine with HD using the apple TV preset. The output is a .M4V file. Those seem to play fine through ATV

I'll try converting it to .M4V and see if that works, but I was under the impression that anything in the iTunes library could be streamed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.