Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bchooi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2010
Kent, UK
i am just wondering if anyone knows:

1. when MBA will be available in the HK stores (not online). they are >£200 cheaper than the UK!
2. if i can get the HE Applecare in the UK (i'm based in the UK) for this HK MBA and if so, how much will the applecare cost.

thanks for any advice/information.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
i am just wondering if anyone knows:

1. when MBA will be available in the HK stores (not online). they are >£200 cheaper than the UK!
2. if i can get the HE Applecare in the UK (i'm based in the UK) for this HK MBA and if so, how much will the applecare cost.

thanks for any advice/information.

No, you can't get get HE Applecare in the UK for an item bought abroad. Well, you can buy full Applecare at a discounted rate (about £150 I think off the top of my head) but not the really cheap HE Uplift thing which just upgrades the HE 3 year warranty to full Applecare.

Bear in mind that if you're buying it in Hong Kong then by law you'll have to pay 17.5% VAT on top of your purchase when importing it to the UK.

bchooi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2010
Kent, UK
it's ordered now...friend bringing it over from HK. getting the basic 13.3 inch at HK$9250 (discounted from HK$9888). that equates to ~£760. not only that, pre-installed iWork equates to £32 :cool:

i'll have to forgo the applecare for these prices and make the most out of the first 90days.

only drawback is that he'll be bringing it in without the box - to avoid HMRC ;)

trying hard to be patient now...

chiefroastbeef

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
bchooi said:
it's ordered now...friend bringing it over from HK. getting the basic 13.3 inch at HK$9250 (discounted from HK$9888). that equates to ~£760. not only that, pre-installed iWork equates to £32 :cool:

i'll have to forgo the applecare for these prices and make the most out of the first 90days.

only drawback is that he'll be bringing it in without the box - to avoid HMRC ;)

trying hard to be patient now...

I wish your friend the best of luck! Hopefully UK customs will be lenient. At the hong kong/Shenzhen border, a guy was fined a 10% import tax by Chinese customs for his iPad, even though he proved that he has had the iPad for a long long time. Hope you enjoy your MBA! My father is thinking about getting one to replace his rev A MBA, that thing is as slow as molasses....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.