Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macjock

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2008
I have just taken delivery of my shiny new white macbook :D

1.) I was messing around and dragged the little hard drive icon onto the desk top as I wanted it to be displayed there. Far from it being displayed on the desk top it vanished in a wee puff of smoke :(. Where will it be sitting now please?

2.) I have my old itunes library saved onto an external HD. Should I trnasfer all of this onto the new macbook prior to doing my first sync of my iphone?

Thanks

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have just taken delivery of my shiny new white macbook :D
Congratulations!
1.) I was messing around and dragged the little hard drive icon onto the desk top as I wanted it to be displayed there. Far from it being displayed on the desk top it vanished in a wee puff of smoke :(. Where will it be sitting now please?
What little hard drive icon? Where exactly did you drag it from?
2.) I have my old itunes library saved onto an external HD. Should I trnasfer all of this onto the new macbook prior to doing my first sync of my iphone?
Yes, unless you want it to remain on the external drive, in which case go to iTunes > Preferences > Advanced and change your iTunes library location to the external drive.

macjock

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2008
What little hard drive icon? Where exactly did you drag it from?

I clicked on the finder, then within the window that opened one of the tabs says 'places'

Contained in this list was an image of the grey HD icon that I usually kept on the desk top on my ibook. I dragged it onto the desk top and got a wee whoosh and it was gone...

macjock

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2008
Someone has kindly solved this on the double thread I posted, thanks.

The name of the thread being changed is what confused me :(

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
I clicked on the finder, then within the window that opened one of the tabs says 'places'

Contained in this list was an image of the grey HD icon that I usually kept on the desk top on my ibook. I dragged it onto the desk top and got a wee whoosh and it was gone...

That's how you remove items (but not data) from Finder's Sidebar. To get it back to Devices (Places is not the correct location for Macintosh HD), click on your Home folder (the one with the house icon), use Command + Arrow Up three times and see your Macintosh HD listed there. From there you can drag it back to the Sidebar under Devices.

Or you go to Finder > Preferences > Sidebar and re-activate it there.

To get the Desktop icon of your Macintosh HD: Finder > Preferences > General > Show these items on the desktop > Hard disks.

Also have a look at the following links to learn more about Mac OS X:

Btw, to quote someone, just press the
quote.gif
button. To quote several posts, use the
multiquote_off.gif
button (multi-quote). To edit your posts, use the
edit.gif
button.

All these buttons are on the bottom right of the posts.

Minor Problems

6. Sequential posts.
Combine your comments into one post rather than making many consecutive posts to a thread within a short period of time.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

You dragged an alias (shortcut) from the Finder sidebar. When you drag an alias off the sidebar or the Dock, it disappears. To recreate one on the Dock, drag from a file or folder to the Dock. To restore your HD alias on the sidebar, open Finder > Preferences > Sidebar and check Hard Disks. To show the HD icon on your Desktop, go to Finder > Preferences > General and check Hard Disks under "Show these items on the Desktop:"
ScreenCap 5.PNG
Someone has kindly solved this on the double thread I posted, thanks.

The name of the thread being changed is what confused me :(
First, only post one thread on a topic, as the Forum Rules require. Second, the name of your thread was ambiguous, so a moderator changed it to something more descriptive.

Maximizing your MacRumors troubleshooting experience

rrw45069

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2011
Thank you SO much for this fix! I was trying to do ctrl+shift+a and hit another key instead, and it highlighted everything in my mail folder. After gettiing out of it I went to finder to search my hard drive and when I clicked on it the icon disappeared in a puff of smoke!!! I thought I had killed it! :)

911scanner

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2011
Thank you SO much for this fix! I was trying to do ctrl+shift+a and hit another key instead, and it highlighted everything in my mail folder. After gettiing out of it I went to finder to search my hard drive and when I clicked on it the icon disappeared in a puff of smoke!!! I thought I had killed it! :)

Me 3. But thanks to you, it's working. :p:cool:

MM

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.