PDA

View Full Version : Old Mac or new PC?

randystand
Oct 22, 2010, 10:59 AM
Im going to Uni in the new year and currently have an iPad and an iPhone 3GS. I had an old iBook G3 about a year ago but it died. Now I would like to buy a laptop for uni but literally need it for word processing, iTunes, PowerPoint and the Internet. I don't like the idea of buying a Windows machine but my options are. I could buy a cheap Mac, either a iBook g4 or PowerBook off Ebay for around 200-250 or could get a low end PC for 300 or a decent one for 400. What would you all do?

Intell
Oct 22, 2010, 11:02 AM
Because PPC machines are sadly on the phase out part of their lives, I'd say get the Windows machine. If you still want a PPC machine, get one that has USB 2, also remember the battery in a used Mac may not hold a charge for long, if at all.

MacHamster68
Oct 22, 2010, 11:44 AM
i too would say go for a PC laptop (warranty), no need to be windows
if you get a dell they offer all their stuff with ubuntu preinstalled too
(but you have to dick very very very very deep in their website to find that option as its better hidden then atlantis )
http://www.dell.co.uk/ubuntu

TSE
Oct 22, 2010, 02:16 PM
Just go for a Windows notebook... HP has some decent budget line ones, the DM1z is pretty decent.

Epsilon88
Oct 22, 2010, 11:58 PM
I bought an iBook G4, and it can't play YouTube properly or do other normal things. Go with the PC.