Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bouncer1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2010
Place is a mess, and while there's some great posting here, most of it gets lost. Shouldn't someone be putting some decent stickies up? We still have the rev. b had to take apart...

My suggestions:

New Air Reviews: links to any online text or video review, and place for personal reviews.
New Air stats: this has to be more thought out, but basically it should be a post with model and specs along with istat and geekbench stats.
New Air Pictures and unboxing.
Air 13" or 11.6?

These are just suggestions.

Of course if people want to post separately they should be welcome, but I think it will help immensely to have some stickies.
:apple:

Adidas Addict

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
England
Place is a mess, and while there's some great posting here, most of it gets lost. Shouldn't someone be putting some decent stickies up? We still have the rev. b had to take apart...

My suggestions:

New Air Reviews: links to any online text or video review, and place for personal reviews.
New Air stats: this has to be more thought out, but basically it should be a post with model and specs along with istat and geekbench stats.
New Air Pictures and unboxing.
Air 13" or 11.6?

These are just suggestions.

Of course if people want to post separately they should be welcome, but I think it will help immensely to have some stickies.
:apple:

I know the amount of excitement around this forum at the moment is making it hard to follow lol.

bolsen78

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2010
I agree with the stickies thing as well. I have been reading on this for a few days and some of these threads sound or seem the same as well. IDK hopefully they will do that!!

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
IMO there is no need for stickies. People often tend to ignore stickies and think that their question will not be answered in the sticky (which is also true because one post will more easily get buried than one thread would). One reason I like MR is because this is not bloated with stickies. I hate some other forums I visit because the first page is ALWAYS full of massive stickies that are often irrelevant to you. If you take a look at MR, you will realize that there are very few stickies and they are often rules or other threads made by Gods.

Besides, after few weeks, this MBA hype is much smaller, thus the stickies would be more or less useless after that. This happens with every product release, the forums are flooded for few days, possibly weeks and then it calms down.

bouncer1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2010
IMO there is no need for stickies. People often tend to ignore stickies and think that their question will not be answered in the sticky (which is also true because one post will more easily get buried than one thread would). One reason I like MR is because this is not bloated with stickies. I hate some other forums I visit because the first page is ALWAYS full of massive stickies that are often irrelevant to you. If you take a look at MR, you will realize that there are very few stickies and they are often rules or other threads made by Gods.

Besides, after few weeks, this MBA hype is much smaller, thus the stickies would be more or less useless after that. This happens with every product release, the forums are flooded for few days, possibly weeks and then it calms down.

Yeah ok, you are making a few points here that I disagree with but how are people going to put their 2 c's in if you 've moved it to the feedback forums? No one comes here. Leave it in the air forums.

What do you mean bloated with stickies btw? There are already two stickies in the forum that are pretty much irrelevant to the new air, you might as well put two new ones on that would be relevant. As for stickies being useless after a while? So what? The rev b. had to take apart is not useful that much now and it can be unstuck, big deal.

In any case I am not going to discuss this anymore here, if you could please put it in the air forums where people can express their opinions and where they can see it.

If I wanted to discuss this with you guys solely and not the community I 'd pm one of you guys, but it's important that the users here voice what they want so they can have a forum that suits there needs and not anyone's (myself included) preconception on this.

p.s. threads made by Gods? :confused:

Just a reminder, we do have the MacRumors Guides.
MacBook Air
MacBook Air: Common Questions

Yeah I see you have the guides, here's what they have to say about the new air:

Rev. D (October, 2010)

[edit]

Very helpful.

In any case, like I said this thread should have stayed a bit in the air forums so people could express their opinion. If you don't want them expressing their opinion and you 'd rather go with what you think is correct, i.e. keeping old stickies up, having a blank guide, and a mess of forum, ok, it's your prerogative.

But if you are going to keep this thread here and it's just going to be myself replying to everyone of you guys and no one else involved you might as well delete it. This is not a discussion involving the posters here, it's a parody...

P.S.
It's just me talking to myself here, not quite what I 'd imagines a discussion on some stickies to help us out with the overwhelming info coming in on the new air. Great. Thanks.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
The guides are editable by members, much like Wikipedia. It's up to the community to fill them out.

There is a redirect in the air forum pointing to this thread.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I can never understand peoples complaint about a lack of stickies, and asking Mods to make them. If you feel strongly about a subject then make a new thread with the relevant information and request it to be made a sticky.

bouncer1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2010
The guides editable by members, much like Wikipedia. It's up to the community to fill them out.

There is a redirect in the air forum pointing to this thread.

Yeah but it will soon drop to the bottom because even if some replies here the thread doesn't get bumped up the air forums.

As for he guides being editable. Sure I know they are, they are also empty.

If you 'd rather have empty guides than a couple of stickies fine by me. Well it's not fine by me, but it's not my call it seems.

Anyway sorry for asking, I guess we don't need a place to gather some info so it will be helpful and practical for a few days at least. You have guides anyway that no one writes to at the moment and they are void. There's also a very helpful sticky of rev. 2 being taken apart. Good calls.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I can never understand peoples complaint about a lack of stickies, and asking Mods to make them. If you feel strongly about a subject then make a new thread with the relevant information and request it to be made a sticky.

I feel strongly about people in the forums bringing in their suggestions so we can arrive at some conclusions of what stickies should be there.

I am sure it's hard for you to understand, maybe if you 'd bothered involving any other forum members than yourselves in this discussion you would. It's hard to understand when you hear your echo in an empty room.

Plus what you are saying is hypocritical. I already suggested
a few stickies and all of them where shot down as ideas. So how do you expect me to open up a thread and request it as a sticky, if stickies are from the start denied. I can't even get someone to unstick an old irrelevant sticky...

Anyway I am out of here, I can't talk to people that refer to the threads they open up apparently, as threads made by Gods, this all too foreign to me.

All the best, if ever the Gods decide maybe they can help the forums out with alternative strategies than irrelevant stickies about previous air versions and empty product guides. As soon as you decide to open this up for discussion in the air forums so the users can suggest what they want, and you can choose from these suggestions I 'll be there May the Gods be with you.

Thanks.:apple:

edit: Everyone satisfied now that you 've segregated my views and no one but myself can view this thread to contribute? I can almost here the echo of my voice here...

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Yeah ok, you are making a few points here that I disagree with but how are people going to put their 2 c's in if you 've moved it to the feedback forums? No one comes here. Leave it in the air forums.

This thread belongs to here since this is feedback. Pretty much all mods and admins read this forum but they don't read the MBA forum. It's more likely that an admin will pop in and explain why this can/can't be done if this stays here. I'm sure you want some official note from admins instead of people telling their opinions.

Even though admins and mods appreciate the feedback, they still make the decisions and user feedback is just one part of the equation (e.g. server load, moderation, general "style" of MR etc)

What do you mean bloated with stickies btw? There are already two stickies in the forum that are pretty much irrelevant to the new air, you might as well put two new ones on that would be relevant. As for stickies being useless after a while? So what? The rev b. had to take apart is not useful that much now and it can be unstuck, big deal.

Well, if there is new thread sticked every now and then, it will sooner than later be bloated by stickies. The current stickies might have been relevant sometime ago but they aren't anymore. That's what would happen to new stickies as well.

Yes, they can be unstuck but who decides when they are irrelevant? IMO it's better to have no stickies at all, or maybe one with notable threads in it, like the Notable Community Threads thread.

If I wanted to discuss this with you guys solely and not the community I 'd pm one of you guys, but it's important that the users here voice what they want so they can have a forum that suits there needs and not anyone's (myself included) preconception on this.

I'm a user, just like you are. This is just my opinion on the subject

p.s. threads made by Gods? :confused:

Gods = Admins

EDIT: This still belongs to here. If other users think the same about this, they should come to Feedback forum. Besides, as grapes said, there is link to this thread in the MBA forum. If an admin thinks that this is a good idea, he can then open an official poll in the MBA forum so people can give their vote and maybe something will be done.

IMO it's better to hear out the admins first since they may have something against the sticky thing (server load, moderation, against the "style" of MR etcetc).

Constructive feedback is always appreciated, but remember to justify your points and provide enough reasons why things should be changed. E.g. what kind of threads would be sticked and what would be the benefit of sticking them. Try to provide the full plan for this, not just "lets open this for discussion" :)

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK

Prove to the Gods that a subject is sticky worthy and it will be stickied. It will just take some effort on your part.

Discussions are two way things. You provide an idea. We respond. You provide a further response etc etc.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Stickies won't help the situation. For example, if you had read this one, you would have found numerous suggestions on stickies in the past and would have realized that they aren't effective.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/979598/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/950055/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/909415/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/888078/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/860649/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/839013/

The best thing to do is suggest threads that should be merged into one another. Stickies are not effective (and for that matter neither are the Guides, no matter how much the site administration wants to believe they are). People that want to make a new thread are going to make a new thread.

bouncer1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2010

Prove to the Gods that a subject is sticky worthy and it will be stickied. It will just take some effort on your part.

Discussions are two way things. You provide an idea. We respond. You provide a further response etc etc.

Are you for real? Prove to the Gods??? To the Gods???

Open this up for discussion in the forums. I am not talking to people who are delusional.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Stickies won't help the situation. For example, if you had read this one, you would have found numerous suggestions on stickies in the past and would have realized that they aren't effective.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/979598/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/950055/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/909415/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/888078/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/860649/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/839013/

The best thing to do is suggest threads that should be merged into one another. Stickies are not effective (and for that matter neither are the Guides, no matter how much the site administration wants to believe they are). People that want to make a new thread are going to make a new thread.

You’re right about the last, but at least mods would have a place to move these threads to. Also, if we had more stickies, we’d have a place to send people who refuse, don’t know how, or are too lazy to search. Then the mods could delete the threads. In the meantime, I have to go find the thread for them, give them a link, and remind them to search next time (as opposed to the common, “Search next time” rude response).

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Open this up for discussion in the forums. I am not talking to people who are delusional.

This is as open as it can be. Everyone can access this forum if they want to.

Your attitude is the problem here. Just because we don't agree with you doesn't make us delusional. It's just our opinion and you don't seem to accept that our point of view can differ from yours.

This reminds me of an old thread. Some guy insisted that his topic should be opened for discussion. It never was.

If you're still interested on this, try to provide the full plan and reasoning. These following questions may help you:

What is the current problem?
How could it be fixed in your opinion?
Why is your option better than the current situation (provide as much reasons as possible, also think about moderation angle)?
Are there any pros and cons in your option?

^ Just few ideas that came to my mind. The most important thing is to try convince us why your idea is so good. If you're good enough, maybe some of us will agree that it should be done, maybe even Gods ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.