Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleCrisp

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
Its kind of a hassle to have to navigate out of whatever I was watching all the way over to the sleep now button in the settings. Is there any way to quickly sleep it? Holding down a button on the remote maybe? Thanks!

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
Its kind of a hassle to have to navigate out of whatever I was watching all the way over to the sleep now button in the settings. Is there any way to quickly sleep it? Holding down a button on the remote maybe? Thanks!

yes, hold down the center button (on the directional keys) when in the main menu.

AppleCrisp

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
apple conditioned me to not pay attention to manuals! they're always one page long

thanks doboy!

drewc1138

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
Just curious...why do people care about sleeping it? I thought one of the things they heralded was how little power it ran on.

miklovo

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2008
Just curious...why do people care about sleeping it? I thought one of the things they heralded was how little power it ran on.

When I first got my apple tv I was all about "putting it to sleep" but I got over that after about a week. When I'm done using it now, I just switch inputs back to the cable box and eventually it goes to sleep.

Slower Pace

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2009
La Grande, Oregon, USA
Are you streaming radio?

When my :apple:TV wouldn't sleep from time to time I investigated. I discovered the last thing I was doing was listening to Internet radio, and even though I went off HDMI and turned off my surround sound system, :apple:TV was still playing song after song.

On the menu I now go to TV or Movies, then to my TV setting off the HDMI the :apple:TV is using, then turn off the surround sound system. It sleeps in 1/2 hour afterwards every time now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.