Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
As a design nerd, I'm curious as to why they didn't change the front recess like they did to the top and sides. The 13" is uniform. :apple:

Wang Foolio

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2010
Are you saying the front edge (bottom?) of the individual keys is angled differently than the other three sides?

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Ah, I see what you mean. Does look kind of strange.

5102424668_3ec1a95c23_b.jpg

(random Flickr image)

Probably has to do with the positioning of the internal components and not being able to either move up the touchpad or move down the keyboard.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
C64,

they should've made the front small as well. either that, or it's meant as a finger rest. No big deal.

Mr. Savage

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
Toronto
structural rigidity? If it dipped on the sides of the keyboard like the 13 it wouldn't leave as much of the thicker aluminum to resist torsion (when stuffed in backpacks etc.). Just a guess. Does look a bit weird though, as do those keys in the pic!

barbro66

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2009
Its to prevent the keys touching the screen. With older macbooks typing left a small residue of gunk on the keys, and when you closed the macbook - even though the screen was inset and shouldn't touch the keys, the gunk would come off onto your screen, leaving little shadows for each key.

The inset keyboard prevents that while keeping the lid and screen assembly as thin as possible.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
Its to prevent the keys touching the screen. With older macbooks typing left a small residue of gunk on the keys, and when you closed the macbook - even though the screen was inset and shouldn't touch the keys, the gunk would come off onto your screen, leaving little shadows for each key.

The inset keyboard prevents that while keeping the lid and screen assembly as thin as possible.

the inset makes it easier to press the front keys as it allows some travel room. if it was uniform, the finger would be stopped by the edge. you're right.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
If I was Apple, and read the interwebs, I'd do these sorts of things just to drive people nuts!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.