PDA

View Full Version : XCode 1.0 - can I use it to Learn C/Objective C

microfine
Oct 23, 2010, 06:49 AM
Hi

I have an old mac that only runs 10.3.9. I have just installed the XCode that came with the mac - it is version 1.0.

I have a couple of books (Learn C on the Mac and the Stephen Kochan Objective-C 2008 edition). Both these books focus on Xcode version 3.

I'm planning to get a new Mac with the latest Xcode but can't afford it for a couple of months. But I would like to get started on going through the two books I've got already.

Is there any way I can use the old version of XCode 1.0 just to play around with typing in the C and Objective-C programmes in the books I've got?

For example when I open up XCode 1.0, I am not sure which project template to select in order to do a C or Objective-C programme. Do C and Objective-C use different templates in XCode 1.0? Which works best for each language in version 1.0?

As you can probably guess, I'm new to programming (but keen to learn)!

Thanks
Microfine

MorphingDragon
Oct 23, 2010, 08:40 AM
You can, of course. But any Objective-c 2.0 features mentioned in the SK book wont work on 10.3.9.

I would learn C and get comfortable with C while you have this old Mac. Then when you get your new mac, Learn Objective-C. You will be comfortable with programming and understand the basic concepts making Objective-C very easy to learn.

PatrickCocoa
Oct 23, 2010, 09:48 AM
Programming can be a tricky business - it requires a certain way of looking at the universe that you may or may not have. The problem with learning programming is that when you run into problems (and you will), you don't know if you just don't get it, or if the tools you're using are suboptimal.

Your situation is worse because if you use a tutorial for Xcode 2.x or 3.x and it doesn't work on Xcode 1.x, you won't know if the problem is:
1. You
2. The tutorial
3. The difference between Xcode 1.x and 2.x

I had something of the same situation when moving from Xcode 2.x to 3.x while simultaneously switching from Pascal to Objective C/Cocoa. Every problem I ran into was difficult to diagnose: was it me? was it Xcode? was it object oriented programming? was it cosmic rays?

My advice - try as hard as you can to get an Xcode 1.0 tutorial via google. Most of these will assume you know "programming" and focus on Xcode, so get some programming tutorials. Ask lots of questions. When doing so, post your code or some people get real cranky, and thank people for their answers.

jared_kipe
Oct 23, 2010, 10:40 AM
.. was it cosmic rays?

I attribute EVERY runtime exception to cosmic rays.

THANKYOU TIME-DILATED MUONS!!!!!!

Sydde
Oct 23, 2010, 01:05 PM
I attribute EVERY runtime exception to cosmic rays.

THANKYOU TIME-DILATED MUONS!!!!!!

I find that for and while loops are especially susceptible to tachyons. I think there may be some quantum entanglement going on there as well. If you can get access to the LHC, it is a singularly effective debugging tool.

robvas
Oct 23, 2010, 07:14 PM
Buy an older version of the Hillegass or other books on eBay (or clearance bookstore). It will only cost 3-4 bucks, plus it will cover the older version of Xcode that you have!

ShortCutMan
Oct 23, 2010, 09:31 PM
You could probably learn C through use of Terminal and the command line. You won't have to worry about Xcode. Try looking around for some tutorials about using gcc, it may be a better approach and won't mean relearning Xcode for the new versions.