PDA

View Full Version : Just installed OSX 10.2 on iMac........

Aug 27, 2002, 06:24 PM
Not quite as fast as OS 9.2...... but a heck of a lot faster then OSX 10.1.5 .....even though this is only a secondary system, I will probably be using it a lot more again now that Apple has a workable OS. Of biggest note, to me anyway..... is the huge speed increase of OS9 applications running under classic....... much faster then before, this speed increase may have people booting directly into OS9 even less now. I'd give this an 8.5 out of 10, still wish the Sherlock application were a little faster, but it's much better then before.

FYI: System is a 400mhz iMac DV with 320mb Ram

Aug 27, 2002, 08:05 PM
Screensavers........ now called screen effects....... they are crashing my system. I cant even configue, system crashes as soon as one is selected? And where is the icons screensaver from 10.1....... that's the only one I liked......?

FattyMembrane
Aug 27, 2002, 09:32 PM
-do you notice any improved responsiveness from interface elements despite the lack of QE?
-are application launches any faster and if so, which ones are the most improved?
-which install option did you choose? (update, clean install, reformat)
-are you using the origional 5400rpm hard drive?

and over-all, would you recomend it to other imacG3 users?

thanks for the info!

Aug 27, 2002, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by FattyMembrane
-do you notice any improved responsiveness from interface elements despite the lack of QE?
-are application launches any faster and if so, which ones are the most improved?
-which install option did you choose? (update, clean install, reformat)
-are you using the origional 5400rpm hard drive?

and over-all, would you recomend it to other imacG3 users?

thanks for the info!

Yes, if you've ever booted into 9.2, well the new OSX feels a lot more like that then OSX 10.1 ......... application launches are a lot faster........ as for install, I chose the upgrade option. Re: performance of certain programs.....even the mail program...... I use Eudora........ but the OSX program itself launches more like it's outlook on XP now. And the classic shell runs OS9 programs A LOT faster. Photoshop and dreamweaver for run nearly as well as they do when I'm actually booted into OS9......Jaguar is definitely worth it, but be sure to save the 10.1 screensavers like desktop icon, they are gone and the Jaguar screensavers are screwed up, I cant use them at all.......they crash my computer. I have an iMac DV with 320mb of memory, whatever you have for memory may affect your systems performance when you do upgrade.

FattyMembrane
Aug 27, 2002, 10:29 PM
all of this sounds very cool, thanks for answering my questions, i'm waiting patiently for my lazy school bookstore to get some copies of 10.2. one more question that i forgot to ask, i've heard that the boot-time is slightly improved with jaguar, did you notice any difference? thanks!:D

Aug 27, 2002, 10:32 PM
Yes boot up time is cut by 1/3 at least.

FattyMembrane
Aug 28, 2002, 10:36 AM
sorry for all of these extra questions :rolleyes:

i promise that this is the last one...
is window scrolling in the finder and on webpages improved? what web browser do you use?

Aug 29, 2002, 02:17 AM
Yes and yes......... I use a number of them on Mac....... iCab and Explorer most.