PDA

View Full Version : Illustrator Help

Josh
Jan 6, 2005, 12:26 AM
Hello :)

I created a logo in photoshop how I wanted it, but I need to create it in illustrator. The problem is, I've never used illustrator before, and am having a little trouble.

Here is what I need to re-create:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v607/newfoundglory72/kspec.jpg

I can get the text how I want it, but I am having problems with the white stroke around "KSPEC". I have the red "K" and the black "SPEC" as two seperate text layers (couldnt figure out how to merge them to one). Whenver I apply a stroke in illustrator, it applies the stroke to each layer seperately, so there is a white line all around "SPEC" seperating it from the "K" - which is what I dont want.

I want the white stroke to go around both layers as if they were only one. I've tried to figure this out for the past two days and cannot do it lol. I'm sure its easy, I'm just boggled as how to do it.

Any help is *greatly* appreciated! Thanks in advance!

tech4all
Jan 6, 2005, 01:13 AM
Make a copy of the text and move it aside. Now with 2 copies of the text, get one set, select it with a marquee and go to TYPE > Create Outlines which renders the type in a vector path (NOTE: Type is no longer editable when converted to outlines). Select the vector path and go to the Pathfinder window and select Add to Shape Area - the first one on the left under Shape Modes. Now select the path and give it a white stroke and weight you want. Now get the other type of "K SPEC" and drag it directly over the white outline. Now you will have the two colors, red and white, and a white outline that goes around the parameter of both "K" and "SPEC" - not their own outlines.

Remember, there's more than one way to do this, this is just the one I picked right now ;) If you need any clarification about any of the steps, just post back.

Hope that helps and hope thats what you meant, if not, well you learned something new :D

Good Luck!

maya
Jan 6, 2005, 01:46 AM
This is less than a 5 minute job in PS and you don't even need Illustrator to do what you want to do. :)

OoPs I am too late. :)

tech4all
Jan 6, 2005, 02:01 AM
This is less than a 5 minute job in PS and you don't even need Illustrator to do what you want to do. :)

OoPs I am too late. :)

Actually about 5 seconds ;) If the text/shapes are on the same layer they just need to Command click the layer thumbnail, go to EDIT, stroke, and set the weight and color there. Or you can Command click the layer thumbnail and make a new layer and put the stroke on that above it.

What were you too later for? :confused:

maya
Jan 6, 2005, 02:04 AM
Actually about 5 seconds ;) If the text/shapes are on the same layer they just need to Command click the layer thumbnail, go to EDIT, stroke, and set the weight and color there. Or you can Command click the layer thumbnail and make a new layer and put the stroke on that above it.

What were you too later for? :confused:

I like stating 5 minutes since I don't know what kind of hardware they are using and know how to use the application. :)

I was too late at posting the response to show that Illustrator was not needed. :)

tech4all
Jan 6, 2005, 02:08 AM
I like stating 5 minutes since I don't know what kind of hardware they are using and know how to use the application. :)

I was too late at posting the response to show that Illustrator was not needed. :)

oh ok :p :D

Josh
Jan 6, 2005, 06:22 AM
Thanks for the help - I'll try that out when I get home from work tonight and see how it goes :D

Illustrator is needed. I need to create this in illustrator, as that is what the company requests so they can make it into automotive decals.

I already made it in phototoshop, but I needed to re-create it in illustrator so it can be made into decals and such.

Blue Velvet
Jan 6, 2005, 06:29 AM
Illustrator is needed. I need to create this in illustrator, as that is what the company requests so they can make it into automotive decals.

Good job too vector crispness rather than messing about with some kind of 1200-2400ppi madness... you can rasterize it later if you need to.

If you're using Illustrator CS, make sure you use File>Export to save as a legacy Illustrator file if the company wants an .ai file or an .eps file they can work with if they have an older version of Illustrator. They may want to adjust the trapping where the black & red colours meet...

For some reason, Adobe chose to put these options under 'Export' rather than 'Save as'...

Edit: Forgive me if this is obvious but do double-check with the company whether they want CMYK or spot colour files. Some can handle RGB but the results can be poor & unpredictable... it's just one of those little things that people can often forget. I see it happen on a regular basis...

Josh
Jan 6, 2005, 07:22 AM
Good job too vector crispness rather than messing about with some kind of 1200-2400ppi madness... you can rasterize it later if you need to.

If you're using Illustrator CS, make sure you use File>Export to save as a legacy Illustrator file if the company wants an .ai file or an .eps file they can work with if they have an older version of Illustrator. They may want to adjust the trapping where the black & red colours meet...

For some reason, Adobe chose to put these options under 'Export' rather than 'Save as'...

Edit: Forgive me if this is obvious but do double-check with the company whether they want CMYK or spot colour files. Some can handle RGB but the results can be poor & unpredictable... it's just one of those little things that people can often forget. I see it happen on a regular basis...

Ok, cool :) Thanks for that advice! I've never created something for print before, and have never used illustrator so that is stuff I would've never even known to ask about.

Thanks alot, I really appreciate the help!

neilrobinson
Jan 6, 2005, 04:35 PM
Ok, cool :) Thanks for that advice! I've never created something for print before, and have never used illustrator so that is stuff I would've never even known to ask about.

Thanks alot, I really appreciate the help!

also about illustrator and older versions, a lot of sign people use "sign wizard" and such packages, these quite often only accept illustrator eps's from over 7 and older sometimes only version 3/5. might keep you out of a tight spot!

please post if you have any other problems!

Josh
Jan 6, 2005, 05:49 PM
I made the logo in illustrator. It worked pretty well. I'm still not *used* to illustrator, so somethings were a little frustrating.

I sent them too files. One legacy .ai and one CS .ai, just in case.

I'll let you guys know if they or I run into any problems :)

Big thanks to everyone for the help!