PDA

View Full Version : PB 12' G4 1.5gHz streaming 720p to ATV2??

nzlucas
Oct 23, 2010, 01:20 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Has any tried the above set up. The PB is too underpowered to play 720p smoothly on its screen. but is it strong enough to stream the content to the new ATV2 which will be contacted to the tv. Will the atv buffer and newer chip be enough?

It's kinda depressing to realize that the iPad has a better processedr than my now 4 ish yr old laptop.

Cheers in advance for replies!!

C

MacHamster68
Oct 23, 2010, 02:19 PM
should work

nzlucas
Oct 23, 2010, 02:23 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Is it worth retiring the PB to be a media server with a external Hdd then?

I was considering a Mac mini for that task, would a g4 MM be enough too then? How much ram would a media server need?

powerbook911
Oct 23, 2010, 08:42 PM
I still have the same Powerbook too. I don't use it much admittedly. It's slow and the batteries go out very fast. How does your battery do? I've been through at least three, and they do not last even a year, and then I just let the Powerbook sit. It looks like new. Beautiful machine, but slow. the 1.25GB RAM limit I think really hurt it. If it could have 2 GB, it might not be so bad.

Well, back to your question. Remember the Powerbook is only Wireless G. I find all the streaming does work better on N to N devices on a nice N network.

However, if the Powerbook and Apple TV both have a strong connection to the wireless G network, it should work fairly well.

I suppose you could retire it as a server. Are you going to boot it from the external drive too?

My only concern might be the little guy seems to have to spin up fans and things quite a bit. I might be concerned with its longevity if running 24 hours a day.

I think a nice 2 GHZ intel Mac Mini if you could get a good deal is even better. I like having a Mac Mini and Apple TV connected to my TV. Both are great.

Epsilon88
Oct 24, 2010, 12:28 AM
Mac mini would definitely be better. I'm having issues with a 12" Powerbook as well. :confused:

MacHamster68
Oct 24, 2010, 12:56 AM
as i use 2 eMac g4 1.42 ghz with 2 gb ram and ati 9600/ 64mb vram as my fileservers (both have the optical drive replaced by a 750gb harddrive so each has nearly 1.4 tb space , i can only say they make really good file servers and i have no problems to stream videos ok i would never rip a dvd in 720p as in my opinion all this hd stuff is highly overrated and only a huge money making con the average eyesight of people is so good they would not notice the difference between it anyway

nzlucas
Oct 25, 2010, 02:16 PM

Yeah I pretty much use it only on power supply now. I do have one battery I only put in when I go traveling which can get 1.5 hrs on. Looking at Mac mini's on eBay at mo but they seem to go for about 100 minimum for a g4 so going to have to save up i think thing is if I get a mini I might want to use it too.

PB g4 will not boot through USB from memory so it would run a external drive.
There are so many options but I don't have a fortune to spend so I will have make the compromise somewhere. I think i'm going to get the apple tv anyway and go from there.