Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jfyrfytr25

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2008
I bought a 13" Macbook Air yesterday. I had a 2009 MBP before and have been waiting on the refresh to get this.

The machine is great. Quick, responsive, light, But one thing Ive noticed is that when handling the machine it makes creaking noises. Sounds like the body is flexing. I took it into the genius bar and the guy took it in the back, said he heard it and then said that it is normal even for the previous gen because of the thin body design.

SOOO, my question is , does anyone elses 2010 MBA do this as well?

P.S. I tried the display in the store but it is too loud in there to hear it.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I'm not much help for you, but I played with them in the Apple store today too, but as you said it was too noisy in there to hear anything like that.

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
dffddfs

yeah I have never heard it before, it may be the case just walk into a best buy and check theirs out. theres a lot less noise there so it shouild be easier to identify

jfyrfytr25

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2008
Tried BB. Still too loud. IDK. thinking of taking it back and trying another.

mattb79

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2010
CREAKGATE!

Expect it to be all over the anti-Apple interwebz within hours.

But seriously; take it back and try the replacement in store.

WMuntean

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2007
My 17in 2010 MBP does it, and now my new 13 MBA does it as well. I took back my 17in for that reason and Apple happily replaced it. Unfortunately, the replacement did the same thing and at that point (and after searching the web), I found it to be quite common. Annoying.

n0de

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
I remember my Rev A MBA creaked, it eventually went away. Of course I got rid of it before hinge-gate started......

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
Mine didn't at first but now I have a creak / click under the left middle screw. Very annoying!

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
creaks.......really.....what? I have been trying to get my new aluminum bodied 13 inch to creak and I get nothing. Where do people come up with this stuff?

WMuntean

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2007
creaks.......really.....what? I have been trying to get my new aluminum bodied 13 inch to creak and I get nothing. Where do people come up with this stuff?

So you're implying that people just make it up and that Apple makes products without any variance in build. You must be on the smarter end of the Mac Forums distribution :rolleyes:

Nice life.

duk

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008

Well, there it is, if falconeight's macbook doesn't have this problem, it couldn't possibly exist.
case (without creaking) closed.

Consider this, if you do exchange, you take the chance of getting one with a loose hinge or something worse.
It's your option to exchange without hassle, which is one of the reasons I like apple products. Just remember if you do, to inspect the new one before leaving the store.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1036505/

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
People just like posting nonsense in these forums. Some people come for reference some for help, and some just to talk nonsense. Every time Apple releases a product you get the same stuff. If it does creak so what what does that mean? A real issue is if it doesn't turn on, over heats, keys fall off, or it smells like a skunk. Creaking.....please

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I have never heard an MBA creak like that... I would say...

"don't hold it in that way" sorta like Jobs said about the iPhone 4. JK

Is it just the top and bottom touching together, or is it when the lid is open? Hard to understand as I have never heard that.

ADD. Hey, why don't you go to the Apple store and see if the display unit does that. If it doesn't, I would ask for a swap, and if they won't allow you to, ask for the manager. You're paying too much for that for them to just say it's normal unless it's also happening on their display MBAs.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
People just like posting nonsense in these forums. Some people come for reference some for help, and some just to talk nonsense. Every time Apple releases a product you get the same stuff. If it does creak so what what does that mean? A real issue is if it doesn't turn on, over heats, keys fall off, or it smells like a skunk. Creaking.....please

Are you serious? I've owned dozens of Macs. You think someone is making this up? If I touch the underside of the middle left (for, I don't know, maybe like picking it up?) it makes a creak / clicking like sound. I'd almost guess that the screw in that location is not fully tightened. But since Apple is using what looks like a 5 point security Torx T5 screw, that nobody in the world seems to have one, there's no way to check this simple thing without bringing it to the store. And suspicion will be that they won't have the appropriate screw head either.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I bought my GF a 13" MBA and no creaking at all. Her old 2008 Aluminum MacBook does not creak either... and neither does my 2010 MBP 17" ..... So i guess it's hit or miss. I would say return it if it bothers you too much and take your chances with a new one.

WMuntean

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2007
Are you serious? I've owned dozens of Macs. You think someone is making this up? If I touch the underside of the middle left (for, I don't know, maybe like picking it up?) it makes a creak / clicking like sound. I'd almost guess that the screw in that location is not fully tightened. But since Apple is using what looks like a 5 point security Torx T5 screw, that nobody in the world seems to have one, there's no way to check this simple thing without bringing it to the store. And suspicion will be that they won't have the appropriate screw head either.

I also suspect it's a loose screw, and noway of checking without taking it in.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
I also suspect it's a loose screw, and noway of checking without taking it in.

I've got an appointment so I'll find out. I don't see any functional problems but the Apple Hardware Test is showing an error also.

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010

I am serious and I have owned and touched used and played with hundreds of macs. If I ever bought a laptop that made squeaky sounds at me I would take it back. I recently bought a blackberry torch and it had a faulty button. I exchanged it. No need to start an entire thread that say NEW MACBOOK AIR CREAKING!!! its silly.

MiBook84

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I think I know what the creaking is coming from. I have the 15" i7 from this year and it creaks sometimes when I use it in my lap.

On the logic board there are a few things that are pressing against the case, I think their main purpose is to ground the logic board.

They have springs in them and when you press the bottom aluminium plate (which is very thin) they flex back a little and make the creaking noise.

I don't think there is anything to do about it and they are in all new Macs. I dont think most people care to much about it but I agree that it is a bit annoying, but at least only when placed on a lap or something else that causes a push against the case.

jameskk

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2003
South Carolina
I bought a 13" Macbook Air yesterday. I had a 2009 MBP before and have been waiting on the refresh to get this.

The machine is great. Quick, responsive, light, But one thing Ive noticed is that when handling the machine it makes creaking noises. Sounds like the body is flexing. I took it into the genius bar and the guy took it in the back, said he heard it and then said that it is normal even for the previous gen because of the thin body design.

SOOO, my question is , does anyone elses 2010 MBA do this as well?

P.S. I tried the display in the store but it is too loud in there to hear it.

which 2009 MBA did you have? and what do you like better about the new model? I have the 2009 2.13 & 128SSD MBA and I am thinking of just keeping what I have since I don't want to give up the backlit keyboard and IR sensor, although 4GB would be nice. interested to hear your thoughts.

oops, sorry.. just realized that you had a MBP not Air

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.