Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PocketPair

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2010
Is there a recognizable speed difference between SL9600 2.13GHz and SL9400 1.86GHz in everyday use (open programs, folders and pictures...)?

Are there other pros and cons besides speed for one of them?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Theoretically, SL9600 is 14.5% faster. Will you notice the difference? Not unless you do something CPU intensive

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
What I wonder is did any of the throttling go away with this update? Remember the 2.13 GHz is running at the same speed as the 1.86 GHz most of the time.

I am curious to see some real world results and benchmarks. RAM would definitely be more important than the CPU in some situations. However, the average user probably doesn't need 4 GB RAM anyways. OS X 10.6 runs really well with 2 GB RAM and normal use.

I think 4 GB RAM is necessary for those wanting to run an OS via a VM. Unless someone like working with 20 open apps at a time, the 2 GB RAM should actually be plenty for just OS X and a normal set of app usage. I would say my MBA runs great with about five apps open and OS X running. The problem, was, that I couldn't install Windows 7 and run in a VM at the same time with 2 GB RAM.

Even for people that want to run Windows via BootCamp, 2 GB RAM is good. The reason to upgrade to 4 GB RAM would be the future or future proofing the MBA. I would think that demand for RAM will go up as it's normal for 4 GB RAM to be standard in computers nowadays.

niceguyeddie

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2008
I think 4 GB RAM is necessary for those wanting to run an OS via a VM. Unless someone like working with 20 open apps at a time, the 2 GB RAM should actually be plenty for just OS X and a normal set of app usage. I would say my MBA runs great with about five apps open and OS X running. The problem, was, that I couldn't install Windows 7 and run in a VM at the same time with 2 GB RAM.

I am running a windows 7 ultimate parallels vm on the 1.86GHz with 2GB RAM and 128GB SSD and it runs fine. No lag, no spinning beachballs...nothing. It runs really fast.

Must be something to do with the virtual memory on the SSD.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
However, the average user probably doesn't need 4 GB RAM anyways. OS X 10.6 runs really well with 2 GB RAM and normal use.

2GB is sufficient but I can notice the difference when going from an iMac with 4GB to a MacBook with 2GB, even if I wasn't doing anything heavy. Of course the SSD in MBA will help but even SSD isn't as fast as RAM. IMO 100 bucks for 4GB is definitely worth it. More RAM will never hurt and makes your purchase more "future-proof"

Adidas Addict

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
England
2GB is sufficient but I can notice the difference when going from an iMac with 4GB to a MacBook with 2GB, even if I wasn't doing anything heavy. Of course the SSD in MBA will help but even SSD isn't as fast as RAM. IMO 100 bucks for 4GB is definitely worth it. More RAM will never hurt and makes your purchase more "future-proof"

I agree, I have gone with 4GB, not because I need it but because I am not sure what the future holds. OS X Lion could be a huge ram hog for all we know.:D

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I am running a windows 7 ultimate parallels vm on the 1.86GHz with 2GB RAM and 128GB SSD and it runs fine. No lag, no spinning beachballs...nothing. It runs really fast.

Must be something to do with the virtual memory on the SSD.

Well, here's the problem with what you're doing. OS X requires 1 GB RAM, Windows 7 requires 1 GB RAM, so 2 GB sounds okay right? BUT, the problem is 256 MB RAM is shared with the GPU. Therefore, it's not even meeting minimum recommended RAM.

I have tried it before on the MBA v 2,1 with 2.13 GHz and 128 GB SSD, and it was not acceptable by any means for me. The less you're doing with it, the better it will work, but to truly make a proficient VM while running OS X, you need 4 GB RAM (or at least 2.25 GHz RAM).

I would recommend anyone doing what you're doing definitely absolutely upgrade the RAM. Yes, it sucks that Apple isn't making 4 GB RAM another stock version so they would be in the stores and people could buy them faster, however, waiting a few days and paying $100 is well worth it in the long run... this is just my opinion, but others here who tried it in the past have seen similar results.

I definitely agree. For anyone wanting to use their MBA with Lion and beyond, or with a VM now, 4 GB is the way to go. People that don't get 4 GB RAM will be disappointed if they keep it for years. $100 is a bargain for the upgrade not vs. what RAM costs elsewhere but for the drastic improvements into the OS and capabilities for the users.

I agree, I have gone with 4GB, not because I need it but because I am not sure what the future holds. OS X Lion could be a huge ram hog for all we know.:D

Smart move. You're right on the mark.

macdaddy01

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2007
Cali
Here are the benchmarks for the CPUs in the new Airs. I was surprised to see how close the 1.6Hz compared to the 1.86ghz

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

Code:
CPU Name                        Passmark Grade        Rank               TDP    
                                (higher is better)    (lower is better)  (watt) 
Intel Core2 Duo U9400 @ 1.40GHz 963                507                10
Intel Core2 Duo U9600 @ 1.60GHz 1129               448                10 

Intel Core2 Duo L9400 @ 1.86GHz 1211               420                17    
Intel Core2 Duo L9600 @ 2.13GHz 1467               342                17

meiluj

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2010
[QUOTE I have tried it before on the MBA v 2,1 with 2.13 GHz and 128 GB SSD, and it was not acceptable by any means for me. The less you're doing with it, the better it will work, but to truly make a proficient VM while running OS X, you need 4 GB RAM (or at least 2.25 GHz RAM).[/QUOTE]

I am thinking of buying MBA 2.13 GHz and installing parallel. Do you think it will be sufficient or do I need at least 2.25 Ghz?
Thanks

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Theoretically, SL9600 is 14.5% faster. Will you notice the difference? Not unless you do something CPU intensive

Answer, no he won't. Due to the higher clock the SL9600 will throttle itself when it reaches the thermal maximum, which under a faster clock, won't be that hard.

I recall reading an article here on MR where it stated that the 2.13GHz MBA was slower at times than a 1.86GHz MBA due to the same issue I stated.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Answer, no he won't. Due to the higher clock the SL9600 will throttle itself when it reaches the thermal maximum, which under a faster clock, won't be that hard.

I recall reading an article here on MR where it stated that the 2.13GHz MBA was slower at times than a 1.86GHz MBA due to the same issue I stated.

That is true, they both support Intel SpeedStep. 2.13GHz is still theoretically faster because it can at least in theory have frequency of +1.86GHz.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.